Wednesday, March 07, 2012
ABC Family Acquires The Middle For Fall 2013, Also In Local Syndication; TV One's March Sitcom Madness
Warner Bros. Television has sold the ABC hit family sitcom The Middle into broadcast syndication and cable for Fall 2013! In broadcast syndication, Tribune Broadcasting stations will air it in 11 markets, including WPIX-CW New York, KTLA-CW Los Angeles and WGN-CW Chicago. Also, Sinclair Broadcast Group has picked up the sitcom in 19 markets, including Pittsburgh and Baltimore. The Middle has been cleared on stations reaching 92% of TV homes so far, having also been sold to stations owned by CBS, Communications Corp., Raycom, Newport, Belo, Cox, Local TV, New Age Media, Titan, Grant, News Press & Gazette, Barrington, Mission, Venture, LIN, Pappas, Weigel, Acme, and others. A full list of stations will be available closer to fall 2013. More clearances will come.
As for cable, The Middle has been acquired by ABC Family for also fall 2013. This marks the first major current sitcom acquisition by the network, as the other comedies they previously acquired were of canceled sitcoms like My Wife & Kids and 8 Simple Rules or older comedies like That '70s Show and Full House. The hit family sitcom will likely air in the early evenings, probably sometime between 6-8pm during family time. We'll have more on that as we get closer to fall 2013, as we are still a while away!
The series premiered in fall 2009 on ABC (Wednesdays at 8PM) and is currently in its third season. By the time the series hits syndication, it will have four full seasons of episodes to air five-days-a-week. Two-time Emmy winner Patricia Heaton stars in this warm and witty single-camera comedy about raising a family and lowering your expectations. Middle-aged, middle class and living in the middle of the country in Orson, Indiana, Frankie Heck is a harried wife and working mother of three who uses her wry wit and sense of humor in an attempt to get her family through each day intact. The Middle stars Patricia Heaton as Frankie, Neil Flynn as Mike, Charlie McDermott as Axl, Eden Sher as Sue, Atticus Shaffer as Brick and Chris Kattan as Bob. It is created and is executive produced by Eileen Heisler and DeAnn Heline.
It's March and sports fans know that March means it's time for March Madness (the college basketball tournament). TV One will have its own March Madness with Sitcom Madness! TV One will air sitcom marathons every weekday all-month long from 11am-5pm. The stunt started this week on Monday (March 5) and will continue through Friday, March 30, so you have plenty of time to join the Sitcom Madness! On Mondays, TV One will air six hours of Martin in March. On Tuesdays, spend the day with twelve helpings of The Jeffersons from 11am-5pm. The sitcoms continue mid-week with Good Times on Wednesdays. On Thursday, it's not a half marathon but we get a Half & Half marathon. And close the week out on Fridays with Eve. That's five different sitcoms, so what show do you think is the best show from these five if TV One were doing a bracket style elimination? Luckily they're not, so you can watch all five series if you like them!
Everything else on TV One in March will remain as it is, as the 11am-5pm portion is preempted this month for these marathons. No other stunts are planned, so it's all about the Sitcom Madness in March!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/05 - Cheers - The Complete Series
05/12 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete Fourth Season
05/12 - The Hotwives of Orlando - The Complete First Season
05/12 - Mister Ed - The Final (Sixth) Season (Shout! Factory)
05/19 - American Dad - Volume 10
05/19 - C.P.O. Sharkey - The Complete Season 1
05/19 - The Larry Sanders Show - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Nine (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - NewsRadio - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete First Season
05/26 - Hello Ladies - Season 1
05/26 - The Nanny - The Complete Series
05/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Third Season
05/26 - The Wonder Years - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, May 6
The Middle - "Mother's Day Reservations" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Tired of getting lousy Mother’s Day gifts year-after-year, Frankie informs Mike that she wants him to take her out for a proper afternoon tea. But Mike’s ineptness at setting up reservations online could end in disaster. Meanwhile, Mike orders Axl, Sue and Brick to put some effort into choosing a great Mother’s Day gift for Frankie; and Frankie doesn’t get the answers she was expecting when she asks each of the kids what things they would do differently than her when they become parents.
The Goldbergs - "Bill/Murray" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
As Erica works on her application to Julliard, Adam and Beverly think she needs to do something big to stand out, so they decide to create a music video starring Erica. However, the music video does not go as Adam planned. Meanwhile, Murray ends up bonding with Lainey’s dad Bill, and Murray learns what it means to be a real friend.
Modern Family - "Patriot Games" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Alex’s worst nightmare is realized when she gets news that she has to share the Valedictorian title with her number one competitor, Sunjay! Both sets of parents get equally caught up in the rivalry and convince Principal Brown to let them break the tie via a gym grade they both have not completed – a one mile run. Elsewhere, Gloria is studying for her upcoming U.S. citizenship test and a visit from Javier (guest star Benjamin Bratt) throws her off her game, and Mitch and Cam blindly agree to join a protest against a local restaurant that they are actually secretly excited about.
black-ish - "Please Don't Ask, Please Don't Tell" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre’s sister, Rhonda (guest star Raven-Symone), is in town for Mother’s Day and although she hasn’t come out to the family, everyone knows she’s gay – except Ruby (guest star Jenifer Lewis) — and Bow thinks Dre should tell her the truth. Meanwhile, Zoey tries to help Junior have better ‘gaydar,’ and Diane and Jack compete to see who will have the perfect Mother’s Day gift.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Ferris Wheel" (ABC Family, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi creates an awkward situation for Josh when she comes up with a creative gift idea for Shauna.
Hot in Cleveland - "All About Elka" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Victoria directs her mother and son in a musical. Elka auditions for a part. Joy and Melanie try to fire a touchy-feely waiter.
The Soul Man - "Wife of a Preacherman" (TV Land, 11:00PM ET/PT)
In Boyce and Barton’s absence, Lolli must deliver a last-minute sermon. The congregation responds positively and much to Boyce’s chagrin, Lolli gets the preaching bug. Meanwhile, Stamps wants to date a single mom.
Schitt's Creek - "Town for Sale" (Pop, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Johnny finds a potential buyer for the town; David and Alexis realize they have become attached to Schitt's Creek.
Wednesday, May 6
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Watch Martin on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Dana Carvey (One of the Boys) - Dana visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Helen Hunt (Mad About You/It Takes Two) - Helen appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS. She will also be on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Alan Thicke (Unusally Thicke/Growing Pains) - Alan talks about the new season of his POP show Unusually Thicke on NBC's Today in the 9am hour, on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations, and on HuffPost Live at 2pm.
- Jennie Garth (Mystery Girls/What I Like About You) - Jennie opens up about her recent engagement, her plans for the summer and more on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry co-hosts Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Suzanne Somers (Three's Company/She's the Sheriff/Step by Step) - Suzanne teaches us about hidden toxins in our daily lives and discusses her new book on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Free Agents) - Kathryn talks about her role in the new comedy She's Funny That Way and shares details on starring in the Showtime series Happyish on HuffPost Live at 2:30pm and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Raven-Symoné (That's So Raven/Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/The Cosby Show) - Raven-Symoné guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jeff Garlin (The Goldbergs/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Jeff guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Brad Garrett ('Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad will be on Larry King Now at 2/5pm PT/ET on Ora.tv and Hulu.
- Titus Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Scmmidht) - Titus talks about Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace talks about her Hallmark Channel original movie Just the Way You Are, which premieres May 9 at 9pm/8c, on Fox & Friends at 7:30am on Fox News Channel.