Friday, March 16, 2012
10th TV Land Awards Honor Laverne & Shirley, One Day at a Time and Pee-wee; Sitcom Stars On Talk Shows (Week of March 19, 2012)
Fan Favorite Award: Laverne & Shirley still lives in the hearts of viewers everywhere and is the recipient of this year's Fan Favorite Award, which goes to a series that's an All-American classic, with characters who became our friends, stories we could all relate to and irresistible laughs. This is the first time the cast of Laverne & Shirley will be reunited on television in nearly a decade. Laverne & Shirley aired on ABC for eight seasons from 1976-1983 and was a spinoff of the Garry Marshall hit Happy Days. But the show soon found its own avid fans, thanks to loveable stars Penny Marshall as Laverne De Fazio and Cindy Williams as Shirley Feeney, who play best friends and roommates working in a Milwaukee brewery. Constantly annoyed by their neighbors, Leonard "Lenny" Kosnowski (Michael McKean) and Andrew "Squiggy" Squiggman (David L. Lander), Laverne and Shirley learn to navigate their lives as two single young women in 1950s Milwaukee – and later in the series, 1960s Los Angeles.
Innovator Award (aka Impact Award): One Day at a Time is being presented with the Innovator Award, which is given to a television series that carved out new territory, tackled important issues of its day and helped re-defined its genre. The series, which was a hybrid drama/comedy, addressed such taboo topics as pre-marital sex, suicide, sexual harassment and more, breaking barriers and paving the way for future shows to tackle these issues as well. Developed and written in part by TV visionary Norman Lear, One Day at a Time aired on CBS for nine seasons from 1975-1984. Starring Bonnie Franklin, Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips as Ann Romano, Barbara Cooper and Julie Cooper, the series revolved around a family headed by a single mother (Franklin) that relocates to Indianapolis, where their new apartment building super, Dwayne Schneider (Pat Harrington Jr.), befriends them. Also taking part in the cast reunion is Glenn Scarpelli, who joined the series in 1980 as the son of Ann's boyfriend, Nick.
Pop-Culture Award: The 22-time Emmy® Award-winning children's series, Pee-wee's Playhouse, ran on CBS for five seasons from 1986-1991 and has been a staple in pop culture for over 25 years. The title character is portrayed by actor and comedy icon, Paul Reubens, who created what is widely considered one of the most innovative and ground-breaking children's programs in television history. Reubens' wonderfully diverse and colorful playhouse filled with puppets, genies, robots, cowboys and pterodactyls sparked countless imaginations and brought joy and laughter to children and adults alike. The show has been named one of "Top 25 Cult Shows Ever" by TV Guide Magazine, and Pee-wee is more popular than ever with a hit Broadway show, HBO Special, and enormous social media following with millions of followers on Twitter and Facebook. Fittingly, Pee-wee's Playhouse will receive the Pop Culture Award at the TV Land Awards 10th Anniversary ceremony.
The TV Land Awards pays tribute to classic and contemporary luminaries of television, music and movies. The 90-minute telecast will feature exhilarating musical performances and will reunite some of the most iconic celebrity TV casts. Previous honorees include Regis Philbin, Michael J. Fox, John Travolta, Bill Cosby, Mike Myers, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Garry Marshall, the cast of Glee, Desperate Housewives and the hilarious sitcoms Cheers, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, The Facts of Life, Everybody Loves Raymond, Bosom Buddies, Welcome Back, Kotter, The Dick Van Dyke Show and M*A*S*H*.
Stay tuned for more honorees for 2012 as they are announced, such as the Anniversary Award (we're hoping for Three's Company, since it celebrated its 35th anniversary last night!) and TV Legend Award.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 19-23, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 19, 2012
- Jeffrey Tambor (Bent/Arrested Development/The Larry Sanders Show) - Watch Jeffrey on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kristen Johnston (The Exes/3rd Rock From the sun) - Kristen talks about her new memoir, Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster, on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local station.
- Sherri Shepherd (Sherri/Less Than Perfect) - Sherri joins The Revolution on ABC at 2pm ET/1pm PT/CT.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) - Casey drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall show) - Catch Jennifer on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Kevin is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time and Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier) - Tune in to see Valerie and Jane on a repeat of The Nate Berkus Show, so check your local listings.
- Kirk Cameron (Growing Pains) - Kirk stops by ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am to talk about his new documentary, Monumental: In Search of America’s National Treasure. He will also be on NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace/Ned & Stacey) - Watch Debra on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Mr. Warmth appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Dave Franco (Scrubs) - Dave is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Jennifer continues to make the rounds on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am on ABC and on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Soleil Moon Frye shares some of her "Punky" crafts that your kids will love on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- John Witherspoon (The Wayans Bros./The Tracy Morgan Show) - Catch John on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Candice Bergen (Murphy Brown) - Candice visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Thomas Gibson (Dharma & Greg) - Thomas is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) - Watch Ellie on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jerry O'Connell (Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Sherri/Less Than Perfect) - Sherri visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local station.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael wraps up her appearances this week on The Rosie Show at 7pm on OWN.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Khrystyne Haje (Head of the Class) - Khrystyne appears in the "Seven Makeovers in One Hour" special on Rachael Ray so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.