Friday, March 16, 2012
10th TV Land Awards Honor Laverne & Shirley, One Day at a Time and Pee-wee; Sitcom Stars On Talk Shows (Week of March 19, 2012)
Fan Favorite Award: Laverne & Shirley still lives in the hearts of viewers everywhere and is the recipient of this year's Fan Favorite Award, which goes to a series that's an All-American classic, with characters who became our friends, stories we could all relate to and irresistible laughs. This is the first time the cast of Laverne & Shirley will be reunited on television in nearly a decade. Laverne & Shirley aired on ABC for eight seasons from 1976-1983 and was a spinoff of the Garry Marshall hit Happy Days. But the show soon found its own avid fans, thanks to loveable stars Penny Marshall as Laverne De Fazio and Cindy Williams as Shirley Feeney, who play best friends and roommates working in a Milwaukee brewery. Constantly annoyed by their neighbors, Leonard "Lenny" Kosnowski (Michael McKean) and Andrew "Squiggy" Squiggman (David L. Lander), Laverne and Shirley learn to navigate their lives as two single young women in 1950s Milwaukee – and later in the series, 1960s Los Angeles.
Innovator Award (aka Impact Award): One Day at a Time is being presented with the Innovator Award, which is given to a television series that carved out new territory, tackled important issues of its day and helped re-defined its genre. The series, which was a hybrid drama/comedy, addressed such taboo topics as pre-marital sex, suicide, sexual harassment and more, breaking barriers and paving the way for future shows to tackle these issues as well. Developed and written in part by TV visionary Norman Lear, One Day at a Time aired on CBS for nine seasons from 1975-1984. Starring Bonnie Franklin, Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips as Ann Romano, Barbara Cooper and Julie Cooper, the series revolved around a family headed by a single mother (Franklin) that relocates to Indianapolis, where their new apartment building super, Dwayne Schneider (Pat Harrington Jr.), befriends them. Also taking part in the cast reunion is Glenn Scarpelli, who joined the series in 1980 as the son of Ann's boyfriend, Nick.
Pop-Culture Award: The 22-time Emmy® Award-winning children's series, Pee-wee's Playhouse, ran on CBS for five seasons from 1986-1991 and has been a staple in pop culture for over 25 years. The title character is portrayed by actor and comedy icon, Paul Reubens, who created what is widely considered one of the most innovative and ground-breaking children's programs in television history. Reubens' wonderfully diverse and colorful playhouse filled with puppets, genies, robots, cowboys and pterodactyls sparked countless imaginations and brought joy and laughter to children and adults alike. The show has been named one of "Top 25 Cult Shows Ever" by TV Guide Magazine, and Pee-wee is more popular than ever with a hit Broadway show, HBO Special, and enormous social media following with millions of followers on Twitter and Facebook. Fittingly, Pee-wee's Playhouse will receive the Pop Culture Award at the TV Land Awards 10th Anniversary ceremony.
The TV Land Awards pays tribute to classic and contemporary luminaries of television, music and movies. The 90-minute telecast will feature exhilarating musical performances and will reunite some of the most iconic celebrity TV casts. Previous honorees include Regis Philbin, Michael J. Fox, John Travolta, Bill Cosby, Mike Myers, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Garry Marshall, the cast of Glee, Desperate Housewives and the hilarious sitcoms Cheers, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, The Facts of Life, Everybody Loves Raymond, Bosom Buddies, Welcome Back, Kotter, The Dick Van Dyke Show and M*A*S*H*.
Stay tuned for more honorees for 2012 as they are announced, such as the Anniversary Award (we're hoping for Three's Company, since it celebrated its 35th anniversary last night!) and TV Legend Award.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 19-23, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 19, 2012
- Jeffrey Tambor (Bent/Arrested Development/The Larry Sanders Show) - Watch Jeffrey on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kristen Johnston (The Exes/3rd Rock From the sun) - Kristen talks about her new memoir, Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster, on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local station.
- Sherri Shepherd (Sherri/Less Than Perfect) - Sherri joins The Revolution on ABC at 2pm ET/1pm PT/CT.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) - Casey drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall show) - Catch Jennifer on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Kevin is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time and Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier) - Tune in to see Valerie and Jane on a repeat of The Nate Berkus Show, so check your local listings.
- Kirk Cameron (Growing Pains) - Kirk stops by ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am to talk about his new documentary, Monumental: In Search of America’s National Treasure. He will also be on NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace/Ned & Stacey) - Watch Debra on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Mr. Warmth appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Dave Franco (Scrubs) - Dave is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Jennifer continues to make the rounds on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am on ABC and on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Soleil Moon Frye shares some of her "Punky" crafts that your kids will love on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- John Witherspoon (The Wayans Bros./The Tracy Morgan Show) - Catch John on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Candice Bergen (Murphy Brown) - Candice visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Thomas Gibson (Dharma & Greg) - Thomas is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) - Watch Ellie on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jerry O'Connell (Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Sherri/Less Than Perfect) - Sherri visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local station.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael wraps up her appearances this week on The Rosie Show at 7pm on OWN.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Khrystyne Haje (Head of the Class) - Khrystyne appears in the "Seven Makeovers in One Hour" special on Rachael Ray so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, December 2
Last Man Standing - "Precious Snowflakes" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mandy chooses local-celebrity Mike as the speaker for her business school’s graduation. After learning that the school requires his speech to be PC and micro-agression free, Mike decides whether or not to play by the rules. Meanwhile, Eve’s friend Cammy (Sarah Gilman) is home from college, bragging about how fantastic her new life has been, leaving Eve feeling slightly fruitless and discouraged.
Dr. Ken - "D.K's New Girlfriend" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When D.K. overhears Allison complain about him overstaying his welcome, he decides to move in with his girlfriend of three weeks. Meanwhile, Pat wants Dave to pretend he’s his adopted son; and Allison is convinced Molly wants to talk about something when she suggests they do a spa day, but the tables turn when Molly is the one doling out the advice.
I Love Lucy - "I Love Lucy Christmas Special" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL features “The Christmas Episode” and the newly colorized “Lucy Gets in Pictures.” Both were colorized with a vintage look, a nod to the 1950s period in which the shows were filmed. The main titles and end credits of the two episodes are seamlessly combined into one set at the beginning and end of the hour, with no interruption between the episodes.
“The Christmas Episode” finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky’s Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardos’ son, Little Ricky (Keith Thibodeaux). Flashbacks recall the night Lucy tells Ricky she is pregnant, the time Lucy shows up unexpectedly as part of a barbershop quartet and the day Ricky and the Mertzes rehearse taking Lucy to the maternity ward.
“The Christmas Episode” was first broadcast on CBS in December 1956. The episode was not included in the series’ long history of rebroadcasts, first on CBS Daytime and later in syndication. Thought to be lost, CBS rediscovered the episode in 1989.
In the newly colorized “Lucy Gets in Pictures,” Lucy’s lifelong dream of appearing in a motion picture seems to have come true when Ricky arranges for her to play a showgirl in a new musical. Unfortunately, the enormous feathered headdress she is expected to wear as she descends a staircase proves to be too cumbersome. After numerous mishaps on the stairs, the musical’s frustrated director (Lou Krugman) decides to make a change.
“Lucy Gets in Pictures” was originally broadcast Feb. 21, 1955, and was an immediate favorite not only of viewers, but of Lucille Ball herself. She restaged the famous headdress scene, again with Krugman, in the 1962 CBS special, “Opening Night,” and in 1965 in a slightly modified form, this time with actor Danny Thomas, in her second CBS series, “The Lucy Show.”
Liv and Maddie: Cali Style - "Cali Christmas-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Maddie gets upset that she can't be in Wisconsin for Christmas, so Liv helps cheer her up.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets a Christmas Maya" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
As Christmas approaches, Riley gets excited to celebrate her favorite holiday, but for Maya, the holidays only bring back unhappy memories from her childhood.
Bunk'd - "How the Griff Stole Christmas" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The holidays arrive at Camp Kikiwaka with everyone in good spirits -- except for Griff.
Friday, December 2
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Andrew Rannells (Girls/The New Normal) - Andrew is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be/Bosom Buddies) - Holland chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Busy Philipps (Vice Principals/Cougar Town) - Busy guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat) - Randall stops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Quinn (Bunk'd) - Kevin appears on People Now at 8:30am.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - NBC's Today catches up with Miss Piggy in the 10am hour.
- Gaby Hoffmann (Transparent/Someone Like Me) - Gaby appears on Chelsea on Netflix.