Friday, March 16, 2012
10th TV Land Awards Honor Laverne & Shirley, One Day at a Time and Pee-wee; Sitcom Stars On Talk Shows (Week of March 19, 2012)
Fan Favorite Award: Laverne & Shirley still lives in the hearts of viewers everywhere and is the recipient of this year's Fan Favorite Award, which goes to a series that's an All-American classic, with characters who became our friends, stories we could all relate to and irresistible laughs. This is the first time the cast of Laverne & Shirley will be reunited on television in nearly a decade. Laverne & Shirley aired on ABC for eight seasons from 1976-1983 and was a spinoff of the Garry Marshall hit Happy Days. But the show soon found its own avid fans, thanks to loveable stars Penny Marshall as Laverne De Fazio and Cindy Williams as Shirley Feeney, who play best friends and roommates working in a Milwaukee brewery. Constantly annoyed by their neighbors, Leonard "Lenny" Kosnowski (Michael McKean) and Andrew "Squiggy" Squiggman (David L. Lander), Laverne and Shirley learn to navigate their lives as two single young women in 1950s Milwaukee – and later in the series, 1960s Los Angeles.
Innovator Award (aka Impact Award): One Day at a Time is being presented with the Innovator Award, which is given to a television series that carved out new territory, tackled important issues of its day and helped re-defined its genre. The series, which was a hybrid drama/comedy, addressed such taboo topics as pre-marital sex, suicide, sexual harassment and more, breaking barriers and paving the way for future shows to tackle these issues as well. Developed and written in part by TV visionary Norman Lear, One Day at a Time aired on CBS for nine seasons from 1975-1984. Starring Bonnie Franklin, Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips as Ann Romano, Barbara Cooper and Julie Cooper, the series revolved around a family headed by a single mother (Franklin) that relocates to Indianapolis, where their new apartment building super, Dwayne Schneider (Pat Harrington Jr.), befriends them. Also taking part in the cast reunion is Glenn Scarpelli, who joined the series in 1980 as the son of Ann's boyfriend, Nick.
Pop-Culture Award: The 22-time Emmy® Award-winning children's series, Pee-wee's Playhouse, ran on CBS for five seasons from 1986-1991 and has been a staple in pop culture for over 25 years. The title character is portrayed by actor and comedy icon, Paul Reubens, who created what is widely considered one of the most innovative and ground-breaking children's programs in television history. Reubens' wonderfully diverse and colorful playhouse filled with puppets, genies, robots, cowboys and pterodactyls sparked countless imaginations and brought joy and laughter to children and adults alike. The show has been named one of "Top 25 Cult Shows Ever" by TV Guide Magazine, and Pee-wee is more popular than ever with a hit Broadway show, HBO Special, and enormous social media following with millions of followers on Twitter and Facebook. Fittingly, Pee-wee's Playhouse will receive the Pop Culture Award at the TV Land Awards 10th Anniversary ceremony.
The TV Land Awards pays tribute to classic and contemporary luminaries of television, music and movies. The 90-minute telecast will feature exhilarating musical performances and will reunite some of the most iconic celebrity TV casts. Previous honorees include Regis Philbin, Michael J. Fox, John Travolta, Bill Cosby, Mike Myers, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Garry Marshall, the cast of Glee, Desperate Housewives and the hilarious sitcoms Cheers, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, The Facts of Life, Everybody Loves Raymond, Bosom Buddies, Welcome Back, Kotter, The Dick Van Dyke Show and M*A*S*H*.
Stay tuned for more honorees for 2012 as they are announced, such as the Anniversary Award (we're hoping for Three's Company, since it celebrated its 35th anniversary last night!) and TV Legend Award.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 19-23, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 19, 2012
- Jeffrey Tambor (Bent/Arrested Development/The Larry Sanders Show) - Watch Jeffrey on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kristen Johnston (The Exes/3rd Rock From the sun) - Kristen talks about her new memoir, Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster, on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local station.
- Sherri Shepherd (Sherri/Less Than Perfect) - Sherri joins The Revolution on ABC at 2pm ET/1pm PT/CT.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) - Casey drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall show) - Catch Jennifer on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Kevin is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time and Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier) - Tune in to see Valerie and Jane on a repeat of The Nate Berkus Show, so check your local listings.
- Kirk Cameron (Growing Pains) - Kirk stops by ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am to talk about his new documentary, Monumental: In Search of America’s National Treasure. He will also be on NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace/Ned & Stacey) - Watch Debra on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Mr. Warmth appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Dave Franco (Scrubs) - Dave is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Jennifer continues to make the rounds on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am on ABC and on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Soleil Moon Frye shares some of her "Punky" crafts that your kids will love on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- John Witherspoon (The Wayans Bros./The Tracy Morgan Show) - Catch John on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Candice Bergen (Murphy Brown) - Candice visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Thomas Gibson (Dharma & Greg) - Thomas is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) - Watch Ellie on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jerry O'Connell (Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Sherri/Less Than Perfect) - Sherri visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local station.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael wraps up her appearances this week on The Rosie Show at 7pm on OWN.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Khrystyne Haje (Head of the Class) - Khrystyne appears in the "Seven Makeovers in One Hour" special on Rachael Ray so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Dependence Transcedence" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Tensions rise when the boys struggle to complete their government project on time and Sheldon tries an energy drink to stay awake. Also, Penny and Amy go to a “party” at Bert (Brian Posehn) the geologist’s house, and Kooothrappali learns Bernadette’s true feelings about her pregnancy when they clean out the future baby room. Dean Norris returns as Air Force Representative Colonel Williams.
Man with a Plan - "Assisted Living" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Adam's parents visit unannounced, they reveal surprising plans for their future living arrangements. Emmy Award winner Swoosie Kurtz and Stacy Keach guest star as Bev and Joe, Adam and Don’s parents.
Superior Donuts - "Takin' It to the Streets" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Franco and Sweatpants discover their new landlord, Fawz, wants to convert their apartment building into luxury condos, they decide to organize a protest. Also, Randy realizes she needs to be nicer to James in order to get a good recommendation for her sergeant’s exam.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Dad Day Afternoon" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Han’s new therapist suggests that Max needs to confront her “daddy issues” and fear of intimacy, she reluctantly heads to Rhode Island to track down her birth father with the diner gang in tow. Also, Oleg is up in arms when Sophie wants him to help out around the house.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.