Friday, March 16, 2012
10th TV Land Awards Honor Laverne & Shirley, One Day at a Time and Pee-wee; Sitcom Stars On Talk Shows (Week of March 19, 2012)
Fan Favorite Award: Laverne & Shirley still lives in the hearts of viewers everywhere and is the recipient of this year's Fan Favorite Award, which goes to a series that's an All-American classic, with characters who became our friends, stories we could all relate to and irresistible laughs. This is the first time the cast of Laverne & Shirley will be reunited on television in nearly a decade. Laverne & Shirley aired on ABC for eight seasons from 1976-1983 and was a spinoff of the Garry Marshall hit Happy Days. But the show soon found its own avid fans, thanks to loveable stars Penny Marshall as Laverne De Fazio and Cindy Williams as Shirley Feeney, who play best friends and roommates working in a Milwaukee brewery. Constantly annoyed by their neighbors, Leonard "Lenny" Kosnowski (Michael McKean) and Andrew "Squiggy" Squiggman (David L. Lander), Laverne and Shirley learn to navigate their lives as two single young women in 1950s Milwaukee – and later in the series, 1960s Los Angeles.
Innovator Award (aka Impact Award): One Day at a Time is being presented with the Innovator Award, which is given to a television series that carved out new territory, tackled important issues of its day and helped re-defined its genre. The series, which was a hybrid drama/comedy, addressed such taboo topics as pre-marital sex, suicide, sexual harassment and more, breaking barriers and paving the way for future shows to tackle these issues as well. Developed and written in part by TV visionary Norman Lear, One Day at a Time aired on CBS for nine seasons from 1975-1984. Starring Bonnie Franklin, Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips as Ann Romano, Barbara Cooper and Julie Cooper, the series revolved around a family headed by a single mother (Franklin) that relocates to Indianapolis, where their new apartment building super, Dwayne Schneider (Pat Harrington Jr.), befriends them. Also taking part in the cast reunion is Glenn Scarpelli, who joined the series in 1980 as the son of Ann's boyfriend, Nick.
Pop-Culture Award: The 22-time Emmy® Award-winning children's series, Pee-wee's Playhouse, ran on CBS for five seasons from 1986-1991 and has been a staple in pop culture for over 25 years. The title character is portrayed by actor and comedy icon, Paul Reubens, who created what is widely considered one of the most innovative and ground-breaking children's programs in television history. Reubens' wonderfully diverse and colorful playhouse filled with puppets, genies, robots, cowboys and pterodactyls sparked countless imaginations and brought joy and laughter to children and adults alike. The show has been named one of "Top 25 Cult Shows Ever" by TV Guide Magazine, and Pee-wee is more popular than ever with a hit Broadway show, HBO Special, and enormous social media following with millions of followers on Twitter and Facebook. Fittingly, Pee-wee's Playhouse will receive the Pop Culture Award at the TV Land Awards 10th Anniversary ceremony.
The TV Land Awards pays tribute to classic and contemporary luminaries of television, music and movies. The 90-minute telecast will feature exhilarating musical performances and will reunite some of the most iconic celebrity TV casts. Previous honorees include Regis Philbin, Michael J. Fox, John Travolta, Bill Cosby, Mike Myers, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Garry Marshall, the cast of Glee, Desperate Housewives and the hilarious sitcoms Cheers, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, The Facts of Life, Everybody Loves Raymond, Bosom Buddies, Welcome Back, Kotter, The Dick Van Dyke Show and M*A*S*H*.
Stay tuned for more honorees for 2012 as they are announced, such as the Anniversary Award (we're hoping for Three's Company, since it celebrated its 35th anniversary last night!) and TV Legend Award.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 19-23, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 19, 2012
- Jeffrey Tambor (Bent/Arrested Development/The Larry Sanders Show) - Watch Jeffrey on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kristen Johnston (The Exes/3rd Rock From the sun) - Kristen talks about her new memoir, Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster, on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local station.
- Sherri Shepherd (Sherri/Less Than Perfect) - Sherri joins The Revolution on ABC at 2pm ET/1pm PT/CT.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) - Casey drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall show) - Catch Jennifer on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Kevin is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time and Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier) - Tune in to see Valerie and Jane on a repeat of The Nate Berkus Show, so check your local listings.
- Kirk Cameron (Growing Pains) - Kirk stops by ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am to talk about his new documentary, Monumental: In Search of America’s National Treasure. He will also be on NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace/Ned & Stacey) - Watch Debra on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Mr. Warmth appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Dave Franco (Scrubs) - Dave is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Jennifer continues to make the rounds on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am on ABC and on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Soleil Moon Frye shares some of her "Punky" crafts that your kids will love on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- John Witherspoon (The Wayans Bros./The Tracy Morgan Show) - Catch John on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Candice Bergen (Murphy Brown) - Candice visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Thomas Gibson (Dharma & Greg) - Thomas is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) - Watch Ellie on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jerry O'Connell (Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Sherri/Less Than Perfect) - Sherri visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local station.
- Rachael Harris (Fat Actress/Notes from the Underbelly) - Rachael wraps up her appearances this week on The Rosie Show at 7pm on OWN.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Khrystyne Haje (Head of the Class) - Khrystyne appears in the "Seven Makeovers in One Hour" special on Rachael Ray so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, January 17
The Middle - "Pitch Imperfect" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Axl begins to panic when he realizes that he only has four months of college left before he graduates, and he hasn’t sent out any job resumes – something he should have started when he was a junior. Meanwhile, Brad agrees to lead Sue’s no-cut a cappella group as they enter a music competition, and Brick desperately asks for Frankie and Mike’s advice when girlfriend Cindy tells him that he reads too much, and if he doesn’t stop, she’ll break up with him.
American Housewife - "Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Oliver tells his parents that he’s so embarrassed by their modest house that he’d rather not have a birthday party at all. Katie decides to teach him a lesson by ambushing him with a surprise party at home with all his wealthy friends.
Fresh Off the Boat - "The Best of Orlando" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Louis is named “Small Businessman of the Year,” Jessica is overflowing with pride and invites everyone they know to join them at the awards ceremony. But when Louis forgets to thank Jessica during his acceptance speech, he suffers the repercussions at home. Meanwhile, Eddie, Emery and Grandma start their own clothing line and quickly discover the challenges of running their own small business.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Acceptance" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Kenny and Brett officially become a couple, Kenny starts to think of plan on how he should break the news to his parents. Meanwhile, Jimmy surprises everyone when he scores a high SAT score, forcing Eileen to hold up her end of a deal that she had previously made and takes Jimmy car shopping.
New Girl - "Cece's Boys" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jess tries to find a new vice principal, she discovers that she has a real problem when it comes to making decisions. Meanwhile, Cece enlists Jess and Reagan to help her recruit new models, and the guys are in for a surprise when they enjoy a day at the spa.
The Mick - "The Fire" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Mickey tries to quit smoking. Meanwhile, Ben meets a new friend.
Teachers - "First Day Back" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
As the teachers return from summer break, Ms. Watson tries an ultra premium online dating service and Ms. Snap learns that she’s been given the worst group of kids in school. Mrs. Adler is assigned to a mobile classroom.
Tuesday, January 17
- Katy Mixon (American Housewife/Mike & Molly) - Catch Katy on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Billy Eichner (Difficult People) - Billy is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Patrick Warburton (Crowded/Rules of Engagement/Less Than Perfect) - Patrick stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York.
- Anders Holm (Workaholics) - Anders is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rory Scovel (Ground Floor) - Rory appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Louie Anderson (Baskets/Life with Louie/The Louie Show) - Louie drops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/Sparks) - Kym visits Cleveland on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.