Thursday, September 29, 2011
TV Land Celebrates 50th Anniversary of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Many Schedule Changes; Fox Picks-Up New Girl For Full Season
The new schedule with The Dick Van Dyke Show will start Oct. 10 and the classic '60s sitcom will air three-hours a day: weekdays 10-11am, 1pm-2pm and 7-8pm. The schedule will now have Bonanza kick things off at 8am & 9am leading into Van Dyke. At 11am & 11:30am, TV Land will air Sanford & Son. Now 12pm & 12:30pm was, as of last night supposed to be Bewitched, but TV Land is now saying it will be another hour of Sanford & Son leading into more Dick Van Dyke at 1pm. IF Bewitched is listed back on at noon, we'll let you know. Back to the schedule, the TV Land Goes West Bonanza block will air from 2pm-5pm. From 5-7pm will be two more hours of Sanford & Son leading into an hour of Van Dyke at 7pm. TV Land was listing M*A*S*H at 5pm, but now they removed it (probably because they have rights from 7pm-7am only). Next we have primetime and Al Bundy and family are back again on TV Land with Married...with Children airing Mon-Sat from 8-9pm, leading into Scrubs. As mentioned, Raymond airs from 10pm-12am. The late night marathon blocks are no more and now we have a set schedule starting at 12 midnight with generally it being Roseanne at 12am, The Nanny at 1am, Three's Company at 2am, more Roseanne at 3am, more The Nanny at 4am, and Boston Legal at 5am.
So this is a lot to digest. To recap, The Dick Van Dyke Show joins the schedule. Scrubs and Married...with Children return to the schedule, as does Andy Griffith Show (but on weekends only). Leaving the schedule for now will be The Jeffersons, Good Times, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and Home Improvement. And M*A*S*H will now only air in primetime on Sunday nights.
View and discuss this new TV Land Fall 2011 schedule (scroll down to Oct. 10)! Stay tuned tomorrow for our book review of The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book: The Definitive History of Television's Most Enduring Comedy by Vince Waldron, foreword by Dan Castellaneta (a.k.a. Homer Simpson) and introduction by Dick Van Dyke himself.
After two airings, Fox has ordered an additional 11 episodes of the new single-camera comedy New Girl starring Zooey Deschanel, bringing the series to a 24-episode season order. The comedy premiered as Fox's highest-rated fall sitcom debut in 10 years. Since it launched last week, the single-camera comedy has quickly established itself as Tuesday's No. 1 series among Adults 18-49 and this season's No. 1 new series among Adults 18-34, Women 18-34 and Teens. The series airs Tuesdays at 9:00PM ET/PT and will be all-new next week (Oct. 4). Then, the next two all-new episodes of the new comedy will air at special times (due to MLB Playoffs). The first is on a special night and time on Wednesday, Oct. 12 at 9:30 PM ET/PT and then another new episode the following week on its normal night, but at a special time of 9:30 PM ET/PT on Tuesday, Oct. 18 with guest star Lake Bell.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.