Wednesday, September 15, 2010
TBS, Spike TV and MTV Comedy News; RTV Launches in New York and New Orleans, New Saturday Morning Sked
Meanwhile, TBS has canceled sports comedy My Boys after four seasons. The series aired its finale on Sunday (Sept. 12) and now that is the final episode of the series. The past three seasons each, the series had 9 episodes orders after having 22 in its first season. The ratings for the series declined the past few seasons, with episodes getting less than a million viewers.
Spike TV's hit original scripted sports/comedy series Blue Mountain State returns to the gridiron for a second season this fall starting Wednesday, October 20 at 11:00 PM, ET/PT. Blue Mountain State chronicles the on and off-field antics of the fictional college football powerhouse Blue Mountain State.
Season two of Blue Mountain State finds Coach Marty Daniels (Former NFL-er Ed Marinaro) under pressure to deliver a winning season after an embarrassing showing last year that has put his legacy and job security in grave danger. Adding to the coach's troubles is the arrival of his contentious and meddling ex-wife Debra (Denise Richards).
Season two of Spike's Blue Mountain State features numerous guest appearances including Bill Parcells, two-time Super Bowl Champion coach (NY Giants), four-time Pro Bowl QB and 1988 MVP Boomer Esiason (Cincinnati Bengals, NY Jets), four-time Super Bowl Champion Bill Romanowski (Denver Broncos), two-time NCAA All-American Brian Bosworth (Seattle Seahawks), actress Stacy Keibler, UFC legend Chuck Liddell and renowned sports announcers Dan Patrick and Craig Carton.
MTV has moved further into the scripted world, giving series orders of 12 episodes each to the coming-of-age entry That Girl and the horror comedy Death Valley. Both series, which will premiere sometime next year, come on the heels of previously ordered scripted entries Skins and Teen Wolf. MTV also has a second season on tap of The Hard Times of RJ Berger.
"That Girl" (working title) centers on a 15-year-old misfit who suddenly becomes the center of attention after the kids in school mistakenly believe she tried to commit suicide. The series takes on issues of jealousy, body image, friendship, sex and parental guidance, MTV said.
The documentary-style Death Valley follows the Undead Task Force, which battles zombies, vampires and werewolves that have overrun the San Fernando Valley. Ensemble cast includes Caity Lotz (Mad Men) and Tania Raymonde (Lost).
Retro Television Network (RTV) has officially launched in New York and New Orleans this week. As we previously reported, WSAH aired RTV programming in 2009, but then dropped it. Now, WKOB-LP in New York is the station that has brought back RTV in the New York market! You can see RTV programming on channel 42.2 over the air. See the schedule for RTV in New York!
As for New Orleans, RTV launched Monday in New Orleans on WVUE! The RTV programming is airing on channel 8.2 over the air. See the schedule for RTV in New Orleans!
And as we mentioned, RTV launches in the next few days on TV 8 in San Fransisco! And if you don't know by now, RTV is a television network that provides each affiliate a customized feed with classic hit shows, in addition to local programming including news, weather and sports.
Starting in October, RTV will have a new Saturday morning block that will feature Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, Ghost Busters, Archies, BraveStarr, She-Ra and He-Man from 8-11am, followed by an hour of Lassie. All of these programs are from Filmation. Hopefully they bring in the rarely seen Gilligan's Planet, The New Adventures of Gilligan and The Brady Kids back on the air.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.