Monday, March 29, 2010
TV Land Not Moving Home Improvement to Late Night; Two Showtime Comedies Get Third Seasons; Network Notes
View the updated TV Land April 2010 schedule and stay with us in the coming days when we give you the May 2010 highlights.
On the heels of record ratings for their second season debuts, two of Showtime's critically and audience acclaimed original comedy series Nurse Jackie and the Emmy winning United States of Tara, have both been renewed for a third season. Both half-hour comedy series have received 12 episode orders and will go into production later in the year.
The season two premiere of Nurse Jackie registered 1.084 million viewers (1.521 million viewers with additional airings counted) on Monday, March 22 at 10pm, while the season premiere of United States of Tara did 816,000 viewers (1.165 million viewers with additional airings counted) at 10:30pm on March 22.
Nurse Jackie stars Edie Falco and United States of Tara stars Toni Collette.
Fox will be adding repeats of the sitcom Brothers to its Saturday late night schedule. Brothers will air after The Wanda Sykes Show at 12 midnight ET starting Saturday, April 17 replacing reruns of canceled animated comedy Sit Down, Shut Up. The future of Brothers has still not been revealed, but it doesn't look too bright for the sitcom starring former NFL star Michael Strahan.
In other Fox schedule news, they have officially announced that 24 will be ending after this season. In a joint decision made by 24's star and executive producer Kiefer Sutherland, executive producer and showrunner Howard Gordon, Twentieth Century Fox Television, Imagine Entertainment and Fox Broadcasting Company, it was determined that the acclaimed series will end its eight-season run. Jack Bauer's last day on Fox will conclude when the final two hours of "Day Eight" air Monday, May 24 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT. As the countdown to the series' climactic conclusion races on, the final 11 hours will air uninterrupted Mondays in the 9:00 PM ET/PT) hour on Fox.
And finally, Glee returns Tuesday, April 13, as announced already, but now the time has changed. It will air at a special time for the return on Tuesday, April 13 airing from 9:28-10:30 PM ET/PT, following an expanded American Idol. This is only for the return, as Glee will air Tuesdays at 9:00PM otherwise (through June 8).
ABC will return the popular hidden camera scenario series, Primetime: What Would You Do? starting Friday, May 7, 2010 in the 9pm hour, as the current season of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution would have wrapped up its run by then. The ABC News series with John Quiñones returns for a third season of all-new scenarios that will be even more interesting! What Would You Do? last aired as a regular series in Winter 2009 to decent numbers on Tuesday nights at 10pm. This is the first time the regular series will air on Fridays, however some 20/20 episodes have featured some segments in the past. Past scenarios included Date Rape Drug and Latino Day Laborers where the show explored how people react when they witness blatant racial discrimination. In that scenario, Latino men and women attempted to place an order in broken English at a deli in downtown Linden, NJ. But their requests were met by extreme prejudice from the cashier. Hidden cameras captured how customers responded to the scenario.
And finally NBC will schedule three Wednesday airings of Sunday game show A Minute to Win It in place of scheduled Mercy repeats. 2 of the 3 airings will be repeats of the game show, though, as it seems NBC is trying to get more exposure for the game show since the drama Mercy doesn't repeat well at all. March 31 and April 14 will be repeats of the game show, while April 7 will be all-new. Mercy returns with new episodes starting April 21, while a Minute to Win It will continue to air with mix of new and repeats on Sundays at 8pm. The game show has an order of 8 episodes, and will have aired 6 episodes by April 14. Elsewhere on NBC, the network will have an extra week of Who Do You Think You Are? adding a repeat on Friday, April 9, so the series will now conclude on April 30, rather than April 23. This means the season premiere of DirecTV's Friday Night Lights will be bumped to Friday, May 7 at 8pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Dependence Transcedence" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Tensions rise when the boys struggle to complete their government project on time and Sheldon tries an energy drink to stay awake. Also, Penny and Amy go to a “party” at Bert (Brian Posehn) the geologist’s house, and Kooothrappali learns Bernadette’s true feelings about her pregnancy when they clean out the future baby room. Dean Norris returns as Air Force Representative Colonel Williams.
Man with a Plan - "Assisted Living" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Adam's parents visit unannounced, they reveal surprising plans for their future living arrangements. Emmy Award winner Swoosie Kurtz and Stacy Keach guest star as Bev and Joe, Adam and Don’s parents.
Superior Donuts - "Takin' It to the Streets" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Franco and Sweatpants discover their new landlord, Fawz, wants to convert their apartment building into luxury condos, they decide to organize a protest. Also, Randy realizes she needs to be nicer to James in order to get a good recommendation for her sergeant’s exam.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Dad Day Afternoon" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Han’s new therapist suggests that Max needs to confront her “daddy issues” and fear of intimacy, she reluctantly heads to Rhode Island to track down her birth father with the diner gang in tow. Also, Oleg is up in arms when Sophie wants him to help out around the house.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.