Tuesday, December 01, 2009
AmericanLife January 2010: Rhoda and Phyllis Join Schedule; CBS Pulls Three Rivers, Books 2nd I Get That A Lot Special
Rhoda starred Valerie Harper in the title role and aired from 1974-78 lasting 110 episodes. It was about Rhoda Morgenstern, who was the spunky, weight conscious, flamboyantly-fashioned best friend of Mary Richards who left Minneapolis and returned home to New York City.
Phyllis starred Cloris Leachman in the title role and aired from 1975-77 lasting 48 episodes. It was about Phyllis Lindstrom, who was previously Mary Richards' landlady on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. In the new series, Phyllis and her daughter Bess Lindstrom moved from Minneapolis to San Francisco, after the death of her husband, Dr. Lars Lindstrom.
In other ALN January 2010 news, Chicken Soul for the Soup will also air on weekdays now! Starting Jan. 1, it will air weekdays at 11am, replacing lifestyle programming. Soup will continue to air on weekends at 6pm as well. Meanwhile, Mission: Impossible will now air weekdays at 6pm, as Sue Thomas F.B.Eye moves to 7pm, replacing L.A. Law. Not to worry, as L.A. Law will now air at 9pm Mon-Thurs, as St. Elsewhere kicks off the night now at 8pm Mon-Thurs and Hill Street Blues closes the night at 10pm Mon-Thurs. Encores of these three dramas start at 12am Mon-Thurs with St. Elsewhere, followed by L.A. Law and Hill Street Blues from 1-3am Mon-Thurs. Airing in between will be an encore of Sue Thomas F.B.Eye weekdays at 11pm. On Fridays, the ALN Classic Movie will air at 8pm, followed by Mission Impossible at 10pm, 12am, & 1am, and The Color Honeymooners at 2am, as that will continue to air Fri-Sun at 2am. Weekends remain the same as now.
And don't forget about the 5pm hour holiday episodes all this month which began yesterday! We get classic Christmas episodes all month long from 5-6pm with classics like WKRP, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and even Mr. Belvedere! Streaks on the china, never mattered before! View the holiday schedule, if you haven't already.
As we first reported on our message board, CBS is pulling Three Rivers off the schedule effective immediately. Cold Case will move into the 9pm hour effective this Sunday, with various crime (what else?) repeats airing at 10pm the next few weeks. NCIS: LA will air this Sunday, Criminal Minds on Dec. 13, and Cold Case on Dec. 27 (as we announced, a repeat of the movie Jesse Stone: Thin Ice will air Dec. 27 from 8-10pm). Survivor finale is on Dec. 20. CBS has not announced yet what will air in the hour starting in January. CBS already has to fill the Sunday 8pm hour starting Dec. 13, since The Amazing Race ends its season this Sunday. A repeat of The Mentalist is slated for Dec. 13, with the Survivor finale on Dec. 20, and the Jesse Stone movie repeat on Dec. 27.
In other CBS updates, a second special of I Get That A Lot will air Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2010 in the 8pm hour. The special is a fun filled, hidden camera special, whereby top celebrities perform ordinary jobs, while denying their real identity...only to later reveal that it is indeed them. The first special aired on April Fool's Day earlier this year to good ratings. This special will preempt Old Christine and Gary Unmarried on this night and will lead into The 36th Annual People's Choice Awards from 9-11pm ET/PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 28
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck with a Boy Genius" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley, Rachel, Georgie and Ethan attend their school spring formal dance, while Lewie and Beast camp out at home in the backyard.
Andi Mack - "It's Not About You" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Andi's frustration boils over when she discovers that Buffy has secretly been confiding in Bex instead of her; Cyrus double-dates with Jonah Beck, Amber and her friend Iris.
Friday, April 28
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Watch Gabourey on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Britt Robertson (Girlboss) - Britt is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened), Joely Fisher (Ellen/'Til Death), Clea Lewis (Ellen/Flying Blind) and David Anthony Higgins (Ellen/Malcolm in the Middle/Big Time Rush) - The Ellen DeGeneres Show celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Ellen coming out episode, so check your local listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec talks about Donald Trump, too much alcohol and the thing that saved his life on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She also dishes about Imaginary Mary on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.