Sunday, August 17, 2008
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 4-10)
- 'Til Death (Fox) 2 episodes - Just 1.43 and 1.67 million for two repeats...down from previous week as this was its first head to head airing vs. the Olympics.
- The Simpsons (Fox) - Only 3.18 million for a repeat in its 8pm slot.
King of the Hill (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) - 3.74 million for a repeat, down week to week, but it aired at 8:30pm.
- American Dad! (Fox) - preempted.
- Everybody Hates Chris (The CW) - 720,000 viewers this week for a repeat...down from previous week, as the Olympics killed everything.
Aliens in America (The CW) - 690,000 viewers for a repeat...also down week to week.
- The Game (The CW) - 870,000 viewers for a repeat, also down from previous week.
- Girlfriends (The CW) - 970,000 viewers for a repeat, built from lead-in but also down from previous week.
Summer Week 12 (August 11-17)
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - 4.62 million for a repeat...sharply down from previous week's repeat, but the Olympics are on. Honestly, I don't get all the hoopla over the Olympics.
- How I Met Your Mother
(CBS) - 4.82 million for a repeat airing, down from previous week, but built from the lead-in.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 8.07 million for a repeat, down from previous week but still a solid rating.
- Old Christine (CBS) - 5.63 million for a repeat, as it finally went down.
- Samantha Who? (ABC) - Just 1.77 and 2.15 million for repeats in the 9pm hour, but it built at least as the 8pm hour on ABC was very low rated.
- None...watch Wipeout on ABC, very funny show that is not a sitcom. Repeat this week against the Olympics...but watch this instead because it is obviously funnier than the Olympics and we are all about laughs here at SitcomsOnline!
Coming Week Preview (Summer Week 13) for Broadcast (With Some Cable Notes):
So what is new or notable this week that you might want to catch? Tonight CBS will have Big Brother at 8pm out of a new 60 Minutes at 7pm. NBC has of course the Summer Olympics, which will be the main draw of the night. A pretty quiet and boring night unless you are an Olympics fan. Cable is the way to go with Lifetime's Army Wives, USA Network's In Plain Sight and Mad Men on AMC at 10pm with VH1 and A&E airing their reality series. And don't forget Law & Order: Criminal Intent at 9pm on USA Network. Cable is the way to go indeed!
On Monday, ABC will be new with High School Musical: Get in the Picture at 8pm followed by the network television premiere of the movie Bewitched from 9-11pm. NBC has of course the Summer Olympics. Cable again will be the best draw with The Closer and Saving Grace on TNT from 9-11pm. ABC Family also has a new Middleman at 10pm and VH1 with more new reality series such as I Want to Work for Diddy, while MTV has The Hills.
On Tuesday ABC's Wipeout is a repeat but it will lead-in to game show Wanna Bet? which has now moved to Tuesdays, followed by an all-new Primetime: Medical Mysteries at 10pm. NBC has the Summer Olympics all-night again. And the Tuesday edition of Big Brother airs at 9pm on CBS. Cable wise ABC Family's Secret Life of an American Teenager is doing well and will air at 8pm, Sci Fi has Eureka at 9, and at 10pm on Lifetime it is How To Look Good Naked. Best night of the summer but a bit slow tonight with Wipeout a repeat.
On Wednesday NBC's Summer Olympics are the way to go. CBS has Greatest American Dog at 8pm. ABC will be new at 10pm with Primetime: Crime. Cable wise Sci Fi has Ghost Hunters and Scare Tactics starting at 9pm. Maybe this is the worst night for the summer (not counting Friday/Saturday).
On Thursday Fox has an NFL pre-season game between the 49ers and Bears. CBS at 8pm has Big Brother and another episode of the summer scripted series Flashtown at 10pm, which is doing decent. And NBC with the Summer Olympics. On cable, USA Network has Burn Notice at 10pm, VH1 has more reality shows, Comedy Central has The Gong Show. The finale of MTV's America's Best Dance Crew is also at 10pm.
On Friday, NBC will be king with Summer Olympics. CBS has a NFL pre-season game between the Texans and Cowboys. ABC and The CW will of course will have 20/20 & WWE Smackdown. Cable wise, Monk & Psych on USA from 9-11 and Stargate Atlantis on Sci Fi at 10pm.
Saturday will have Cops and AMW on Fox and of course the Summer Olympics on NBC and their cable networks, while CBS has coverage of NFL pre-season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, January 24
The Middle - "A Tough Pill to Swallow" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When a devastated Sue discovers that she has been kicked out of college because she forgot to renew her financial aid, Mike tries to come to her rescue and convince a tough college bursar to reinstate her. Meanwhile, having only taken oral liquid medication all of his life, a frustrated Frankie does everything in her power to teach Brick how to swallow a pill when he gets an ear infection; and Hutch becomes angry with Axl after he keeps driving the Winnebago without permission to Orson to visit new girlfriend April – leaving Hutch without any means of transportation to get to class.
American Housewife - "Art Show" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Anna-Kat draws a super plus-sized portrait of Katie for the school art show, Katie sets out to retrieve it by any means necessary. Meanwhile, with Katie away, Doris is left in charge of Oliver and Taylor. She’s determined to whip them into shape with her Tiger Mom skills, but she may have met her match.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Coming From America" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis flies the entire family to Taiwan in an effort to make things right with Gene (Ken Jeong). Upon meeting Gene’s beautiful fiancé, Margaret, and seeing the wonderful life he has built for himself, Louis questions whether his life in Orlando is just as great as it could be in Taiwan. Meanwhile, Jessica takes Eddie, Emery and Evan to her favorite childhood locales, including Dihua Street and Shilin Night Market.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Match" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Jimmy recruits a reluctant Kenny to join his wrestling team for a one-time match, a surprise victory gives him the confidence to join the team full time to become the first, openly gay athlete at St. Barklays. Kenny’s newfound stardom makes Jimmy feel a bit replaced, but when an opponent refuses to wrestle his brother, Jimmy puts his feelings aside and rallies the team around Kenny. Meanwhile, Pat injures his back trying to help Eileen prepare for a weekend getaway, but things only get worse when she tries to be the perfect caregiver to impress VP Murray but fails miserably.
New Girl - "The Hike" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
While on a day hike, Jess and Robby (guest star Nelson Franklin) discover something unexpected about their relationship. Also, Winston throws a surprise welcome home party for Aly (guest star Nasim Pedrad). Meanwhile, Schmidt and Cece fail to impress their new neighbors.
The Mick - "The Master" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
All hell breaks loose, as the kids fight over who will take the master bedroom. Also, Mickey pursues a wealthy businessman who quickly discovers that she is not the prize he thought she was.
Teachers - "Stranger Danger" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
There’s a trespasser at Fillmore and a new security guard is hired. Ms. Snap and Ms. Bennigan hold a “Women Empowering Women” workshop, Mrs. Adler takes stranger danger too far, and Ms. Watson purchases a male safety dummy.
Tuesday, January 24
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Catch Retta on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Claudia O'Doherty (Love) - Claudia is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John talks about Patriots Day on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette visits Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Esposito (Samantha Who?/Spin City) - Jennifer appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina talks about the new Netflix series One Day at a Time on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.