Friday, January 12, 2007
And of note, the biggest thing to come out of this TCA Tour I think is NBC Universal creating a new channel called Chiller, a 24-hour entertainment cable channel dedicated to the horror genre. It will launch March 1. Chiller will feature classic horror films and television shows around the clock. At launch, the programming slate will include the television series Friday the 13th, Twin Peaks, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Tales from the Crypt. We will certainly have the schedule when ready to be posted.
USA Network has announced its first new original series for 2007, In Plain Sight, starring Mary McCormack. A weekly one-hour light drama from NBC Universal Television Studio, In Plain Sight was picked up as a pilot with 11 additional episodes ordered.
Bravo has announced Queer Eye will end after 10 new episodes this season. Making it on the air for 5 seasons. Also at Bravo, Award-winning actress, designer and entrepreneur Jaclyn Smith has been named host of Bravo's newest reality competition series Shear Genius. It will premiere in the spring with 8 episodes. Bravo also announced a new docu-series following the unique and multi-faceted Paula Abdul, Hey Paula! (working title). The series will provide a candid real look at the American Idol judge, pop star, choreographer and multi-platinum artist, as she takes two steps forward, and two steps back into the spotlight, giving an inside perspective on her professional and personal life. Bravo has announced much more, but these are the main ones.
Sister net Sci-Fi Channel has also announced a slew of releases. The most notable one is Flash Gordon. Sci-Fi has greenlit production on Flash Gordon, based on the popular comic strip franchise. Production on the 22 one-hour episodes begins in Canada in early 2007. The series, produced by Reunion Pictures, is slated to debut on Sci-Fi in July of '07, with a broadcast syndication window to follow.
GSN's most notable announcement was a pick-up for a sixth season for the popular original game show Lingo, hosted by Chuck Woolery. The sixth season will premiere Monday, April 2 and will air Monday through Friday 7:30-8:00 PM, ET.
Women's network WE tv has greenlighted the new reality show Wife, Mom, Bounty Hunter. The series, slated for April, will profile Sandra Scott, a former female wrestler who is now a bounty hunter and a married mother of two in the suburbs of Phoenix.
Looks like that is all. If we have more updates we will add them ASAP. Stay tuned for the broadcast portion of the TCA Tour very shortly.
Struggling new sitcom The Class will give viewers a rare behind-the-scenes look at how the show is made. Next week, Warner Bros. TV will webcast live the table read and the run-through of an episode titled "The Class Springs a Leak," which is slated to air February 19.
The table read is slated for 2pm ET/11am PT Monday, and the run-through -- a full-episode rehearsal -- is scheduled for 4pm ET/1pm PT January 17. Both will be webcast on http://www.theclasstv.com.
The Class, which airs Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS, revolves around eight 28-year-old former third-grade classmates. It is slated to run in originals for the next couple of months, completing its first (and last?) season March 5.
This is certainly cool news. If you are into the world of television and especially the sitcom, this is a cool way to learn how table reads are done and how properly the dress rehearsal goes. So, take your 'class' to The Class field trip if you have school. And if you don't have school, school yourself by learning something from the world of television. Fascinating stuff.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, June 24
Bizaardvark - "First!" (Disney Channel, 9:43PM ET/PT)
Frankie and Paige struggle to come up with an idea for a new video that they deem good enough for their first VidView party at Vuuugle.
Friday, June 24
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Watch Mindy on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ellen Barkin (Happyish/The New Normal) - Ellen stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kevin Hart (The Big House/Undeclared) - Kevin appears on on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Will Arnett (Arrested Development/The Millers/Up All Night) - Will appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Lauren Lapkus (Clipped/Are You There, Chelsea?) - Lauren is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andy visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jussie Smollett (On Our Own) - Jussie guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Hayley Orrantia (The Goldbergs) - Hayley appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Josie Bissett (The Hogan Family) - Josie talks about The Wedding March on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Shiri Appleby (Sunday Dinner) and Constance Zimmer (Good Morning, Miami) - Shiri and Constance talk about UnREAL on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Aresenio chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Michael appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101) - Jamie Lynn guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She opens up about her life now ahead of her TLC special When the Lights Go Out, which airs Sunday night on TLC, on People Now at 8:30am.
- Sabrina Carpenter (Girl Meets World) - Sabrina and Sofia Carson share a sneak peek of the TV movie Adventures in Babysitting on People Now at 8:30am.