Friday, January 12, 2007
And of note, the biggest thing to come out of this TCA Tour I think is NBC Universal creating a new channel called Chiller, a 24-hour entertainment cable channel dedicated to the horror genre. It will launch March 1. Chiller will feature classic horror films and television shows around the clock. At launch, the programming slate will include the television series Friday the 13th, Twin Peaks, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Tales from the Crypt. We will certainly have the schedule when ready to be posted.
USA Network has announced its first new original series for 2007, In Plain Sight, starring Mary McCormack. A weekly one-hour light drama from NBC Universal Television Studio, In Plain Sight was picked up as a pilot with 11 additional episodes ordered.
Bravo has announced Queer Eye will end after 10 new episodes this season. Making it on the air for 5 seasons. Also at Bravo, Award-winning actress, designer and entrepreneur Jaclyn Smith has been named host of Bravo's newest reality competition series Shear Genius. It will premiere in the spring with 8 episodes. Bravo also announced a new docu-series following the unique and multi-faceted Paula Abdul, Hey Paula! (working title). The series will provide a candid real look at the American Idol judge, pop star, choreographer and multi-platinum artist, as she takes two steps forward, and two steps back into the spotlight, giving an inside perspective on her professional and personal life. Bravo has announced much more, but these are the main ones.
Sister net Sci-Fi Channel has also announced a slew of releases. The most notable one is Flash Gordon. Sci-Fi has greenlit production on Flash Gordon, based on the popular comic strip franchise. Production on the 22 one-hour episodes begins in Canada in early 2007. The series, produced by Reunion Pictures, is slated to debut on Sci-Fi in July of '07, with a broadcast syndication window to follow.
GSN's most notable announcement was a pick-up for a sixth season for the popular original game show Lingo, hosted by Chuck Woolery. The sixth season will premiere Monday, April 2 and will air Monday through Friday 7:30-8:00 PM, ET.
Women's network WE tv has greenlighted the new reality show Wife, Mom, Bounty Hunter. The series, slated for April, will profile Sandra Scott, a former female wrestler who is now a bounty hunter and a married mother of two in the suburbs of Phoenix.
Looks like that is all. If we have more updates we will add them ASAP. Stay tuned for the broadcast portion of the TCA Tour very shortly.
Struggling new sitcom The Class will give viewers a rare behind-the-scenes look at how the show is made. Next week, Warner Bros. TV will webcast live the table read and the run-through of an episode titled "The Class Springs a Leak," which is slated to air February 19.
The table read is slated for 2pm ET/11am PT Monday, and the run-through -- a full-episode rehearsal -- is scheduled for 4pm ET/1pm PT January 17. Both will be webcast on http://www.theclasstv.com.
The Class, which airs Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS, revolves around eight 28-year-old former third-grade classmates. It is slated to run in originals for the next couple of months, completing its first (and last?) season March 5.
This is certainly cool news. If you are into the world of television and especially the sitcom, this is a cool way to learn how table reads are done and how properly the dress rehearsal goes. So, take your 'class' to The Class field trip if you have school. And if you don't have school, school yourself by learning something from the world of television. Fascinating stuff.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, July 26
Wrecked - "The Adventures of Beth and Lamar" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Danny and Owen start a new camp; two survivors try to escape the island; the island makes a discovery that could change everything.
Best Friends Whenever - "Worst Night Whenever" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bret and Chet worry about their sixth grade dance; haunted by the memories of their own experience, Cyd and Shelby go back in time for a do-over.
In the Cut - "Very Superstitious" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Kenny becomes a savvy saver; everyone thinks the shop is haunted.
Tuesday, July 26
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - Catch David on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Abby Elliott (Odd Mom Out) - Abby stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She will also be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rex Lee (Young & Hungry/Suburgatory) - Rex is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu talks about how she stays slim and fit for life. She reveals her number one anti-aging beauty secret on The Dr. Oz Show, so chek your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul talks about Aliens on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Busy Phillips (Cougar Town) - Busy flashes back to her Freaks and Geeks audition tape on People Now at 8:30am.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason talks about Amateur Night on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Ashley Williams (The Jim Gaffigan Show/Good Morning, Miami) - Ashley is a guest on People Now at 8:30am.
- Michael Ian Black (The Jim Gaffigan Show/Ed) - Michael visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.