Friday, January 12, 2007
And of note, the biggest thing to come out of this TCA Tour I think is NBC Universal creating a new channel called Chiller, a 24-hour entertainment cable channel dedicated to the horror genre. It will launch March 1. Chiller will feature classic horror films and television shows around the clock. At launch, the programming slate will include the television series Friday the 13th, Twin Peaks, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Tales from the Crypt. We will certainly have the schedule when ready to be posted.
USA Network has announced its first new original series for 2007, In Plain Sight, starring Mary McCormack. A weekly one-hour light drama from NBC Universal Television Studio, In Plain Sight was picked up as a pilot with 11 additional episodes ordered.
Bravo has announced Queer Eye will end after 10 new episodes this season. Making it on the air for 5 seasons. Also at Bravo, Award-winning actress, designer and entrepreneur Jaclyn Smith has been named host of Bravo's newest reality competition series Shear Genius. It will premiere in the spring with 8 episodes. Bravo also announced a new docu-series following the unique and multi-faceted Paula Abdul, Hey Paula! (working title). The series will provide a candid real look at the American Idol judge, pop star, choreographer and multi-platinum artist, as she takes two steps forward, and two steps back into the spotlight, giving an inside perspective on her professional and personal life. Bravo has announced much more, but these are the main ones.
Sister net Sci-Fi Channel has also announced a slew of releases. The most notable one is Flash Gordon. Sci-Fi has greenlit production on Flash Gordon, based on the popular comic strip franchise. Production on the 22 one-hour episodes begins in Canada in early 2007. The series, produced by Reunion Pictures, is slated to debut on Sci-Fi in July of '07, with a broadcast syndication window to follow.
GSN's most notable announcement was a pick-up for a sixth season for the popular original game show Lingo, hosted by Chuck Woolery. The sixth season will premiere Monday, April 2 and will air Monday through Friday 7:30-8:00 PM, ET.
Women's network WE tv has greenlighted the new reality show Wife, Mom, Bounty Hunter. The series, slated for April, will profile Sandra Scott, a former female wrestler who is now a bounty hunter and a married mother of two in the suburbs of Phoenix.
Looks like that is all. If we have more updates we will add them ASAP. Stay tuned for the broadcast portion of the TCA Tour very shortly.
Struggling new sitcom The Class will give viewers a rare behind-the-scenes look at how the show is made. Next week, Warner Bros. TV will webcast live the table read and the run-through of an episode titled "The Class Springs a Leak," which is slated to air February 19.
The table read is slated for 2pm ET/11am PT Monday, and the run-through -- a full-episode rehearsal -- is scheduled for 4pm ET/1pm PT January 17. Both will be webcast on http://www.theclasstv.com.
The Class, which airs Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS, revolves around eight 28-year-old former third-grade classmates. It is slated to run in originals for the next couple of months, completing its first (and last?) season March 5.
This is certainly cool news. If you are into the world of television and especially the sitcom, this is a cool way to learn how table reads are done and how properly the dress rehearsal goes. So, take your 'class' to The Class field trip if you have school. And if you don't have school, school yourself by learning something from the world of television. Fascinating stuff.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February)
02/16 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series
02/16 - The Brady Kids - The Complete Animated Series
02/16 - Girls - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
02/16 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Complete Series
02/16 - Togetherness - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, February 12
Bunk'd - "Luke's Back" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Luke gets some summer school help from Ravi and reunites with his siblings; Camp Kikiwaka and its rival engage in a turf war.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets Commonism" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Auggie experiences an existential crisis while trying to figure out what he wants to be; Farkle and Maya are caught cheating on a test and must face the school honor board.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Second Thoughts" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Troy discusses her marriage troubles with Hattie.
Friday, February 12
- George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Watch George on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Raymond appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jack McBrayer (30 Rock) - Jack is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Christine Taylor (Hey Dude) - Christine talks about Zoolander 2 on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy/American Dad!/The Cleveland Show) - Seth discusses his Grammy nomination on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Anders Holm (Workaholics/The Mindy Project) - Anders is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner (The Cosby Show/Malcolm & Eddie) - Malcolm-Jamal discusses his role as Al Cowlings in FX's American Crime Story: The People v. OJ Simpson on Access Hollywood Live (check your local listings) and on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Bailee Madison (Trophy Wife) - Bailee discusses her shows Good Witch, Once Upon a Time, and attending Fashion Week for the first time on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Meagan Good (Mr. Robinson/Raising Dad/Cousin Skeeter) - Meagan is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Dakota Johnson (Ben and Kate) - Dakota talks about How to Be Single on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM Hits 1 at 8am.