Thursday, June 29, 2006
Video-sharing site Guba has paired with Warner Bros. to distribute licensed Warner Bros. content online. The site, through its "Guba Premium" section, has begun offering more than 200 Warner Bros. movie titles including Syriana and Good Night and Good Luck, as well as the TV programs Babylon 5, The Dukes of Hazard, The Flintstones, and The Jetsons. The content can be downloaded and played on computers, streamed to a TV or loaded to portable video devices. The price starts at $1.99 per movie title for unlimited viewing within 24 hours. They can also be bought. Older movies will go for $9.99 and new movies, released the same day as their DVDs hit stores, will go for $19.99. TV shows will go for $1.79 an episode. For more information on Guba, click here.
MTV Networks and Apple(R) today announced that new television programming from Spike TV, Nick at Nite, TV Land, Logo, MTV and The N is now available on the iTunes(R) Music Store (http://www.itunes.com). iTunes now offers over 150 TV shows for $1.99 per episode for viewing on a computer or iPod(R). MTV Networks' programming has been a huge success on iTunes since debuting earlier this year, with Comedy Central's South Park alone selling over one million episodes.
Following are some of the shows that will be available:
TV Land: Sit Down Comedy with David Steinberg, hosted by legendary comedian, producer and director David Steinberg, is a one-on-one comedy forum where celebrated performers including Larry David, Martin Short, Bob Newhart, Jon Lovitz and George Lopez open up about their personal lives and careers.
Nick at Nite: Fatherhood, the animated comedy series based on Bill Cosby's best-selling book of the same name; Hi-Jinks, the hit hidden-camera series where adults play good-natured pranks on kids of all ages.
Spike TV: Blade: The Series, the network's first original scripted action-adventure/drama, builds upon New Line Television/Marvel Studio's successful movie trilogy and brings the main character into new story lines. The two-hour premiere episode will be offered for free, exclusively on iTunes today through July 11. TNA: iMPACT, the wrestling alternative that delivers high-risk athletic entertainment, integrating well-known superstars with the best up- and-coming talent. Disorderly Conduct, an adrenaline-packed series with outrageous video footage pulled from police precincts across the country.
And in more iTunes news, USA Network will get in the game, too. USA Network, in partnership with Lionsgate, the industry's leading independent film entertainment studio, have made available episodes of The Dead Zone for purchase on iTunes. This is the first of myriad platforms being considered jointly for electronic sell-through opportunities around the hit series, which debuted its fifth season Sunday, June 18. The show's season five episodes will be made available for purchase on iTunes the day after their broadcast premieres.
NBC's hit comedy The Office (Thursdays, 9:30 - 10:00 p.m. ET, moving to 8:30-9:00 p.m. ET in the fall) goes digital when the first of 10, original stand-alone webisodes premieres on NBC.com on Thursday, July 13. The serialized, weekly arc will star the accounting staff of the Dunder Mifflin paper company in an edge-of-your-ergonomically-designed-seat whodunit. In the first of 10 webisodes, each about two-three minutes, the Dunder Mifflin accountants -- Angela (Angela Kinsey), Kevin (Brian Baumgartner) and Oscar (Oscar Nuez) -- discover that $3000 is missing from the Scranton office, and no one is above suspicion as the crack team of numbers crunchers tries to solve the mystery -- before turning on each other. Rainn Wilson, Melora Hardin, Phyllis Smith, Kate Flannery, Leslie David Baker and David Denman also star.
NBC and YouTube, Inc. announced a strategic partnership that will combine NBC's quality programming with YouTube's vast audience to enhance the entertainment experience on YouTube while engaging viewers in innovative new ways to promote NBC's Fall program lineup and other preferred shows over the next year. The agreement also includes an integrated, cross-promotional advertising relationship on the YouTube service and significant on-air promotion provided by NBC. Under the terms of the agreement, NBC will create an official NBC Channel on YouTube to house its Fall Preview area with exclusive clips to promote NBC's The Office. In addition, over the next year, NBC will upload several video presentations and longform promos per week to the NBC Channel on YouTube from primetime and late-night programs like Saturday Night Live, The Office, and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. YouTube will also promote NBC's videos throughout the site.
Additionally, NBC will launch a contest for its hit comedy The Office where people can submit their own creative 20-second promotional videos to NBC's YouTube Group (www.youtube.com/theoffice). NBC will publicize the campaign on air regularly during the first three weeks of the contest, encouraging YouTube users to enter. User-generated videos must be compelling and entertaining and create interest for potential viewers to watch The Office. Examples can be seen in the NBC YouTube Group. The contest runs June 26 through July 21. The winning video will air within the network broadcast of The Office during the month of August. NBC will also offer a "how-to" video featuring writer-producer Bill Lowery, who normally writes and produces all the network's promos for The Office. Yes, even more news The Office...well, sort of. The French have their own version, Variety reports. But Gallic paybox Canal Plus is taking its cue from the BBC for its first fictional exploration of the workplace. It has adapted Brit cult comedy The Office by helmer-scribe duo Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Gervais stars in the Brit version as David Brent, the oily boss of a firm that sells paper in a dreary suburb. With Gallic workers' aversion to authority and readiness to strike, French labor relations seem rich with comic possibilities. Le Bureau began airing May 25 in a 10:50 p.m. slot, and has garnered respectable, if not sensational, numbers. It will reach a wider audience when the paybox moves it to a Sunday 8:30 p.m. unencrypted slot this summer. Film subsid Studio Canal will release a DVD of the six-episode series in August. A half-season of three episodes based on original French material is slated to shoot in November.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)
08/04 - The Comeback - The Complete Series
08/04 - I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 (Blu-ray)
08/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - Season Three
08/11 - The Jeffersons - Season Eight
08/11 - Maude - The Complete Second Season
08/11 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fourth Season
08/11 - The Jeff Foxworthy Show - The COmplete Series (Mill Creek)
08/18 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fifth Season
08/18 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final (Fourth) Season
08/25 - King of the Hill - The Complete 11th Season
08/25 - The Mindy Project - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, August 4
The Last Man on Earth - "Alive in Tucson" / "The Elephant in the Room" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
THE LAST MAN ON EARTH chronicles the life and adventures of an average guy – and humanity’s last hope – who discovers what life is like when no one is telling you what you can and cannot do. The year is 2020, and after a deadly virus has swept the planet, only one man is left on earth: Phil Miller (Forte). He used to be just an average guy who loved his family and hated his job. Now, in his RV, Phil searches the country for other survivors. He has traveled to every city, every town and every outpost in the United States, Mexico and Canada, and has found no one. As he returns to his hometown of Tucson, Phil comes to the realization that he is almost certainly the last living being on the face of the earth. Then, Phil meets Carol, who may be the last woman on earth. At the very least, she’s the most annoying woman on earth. As Phil arrives at the painful realization that the fate of the world rests with them, Carol demands they wed before repopulating the earth.
Clipped - "The Gambler" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
When the guys learn that Buzzy is gambling with the money he'd set aside for his mother's medication, A.J. and Mo decide to lose a poker game to him on purpose, but it isn't as easy to convince Ben to do the right thing. Danni, Charmaine, and Joy make up the Doyle Sisters for a wedding and discuss what makes for a strong marriage, which causes Joy questions her relationship with Bart.
Playing House - "Hello, Old Friend" (USA Network, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Season Premiere)
Maggie, Emma and Charlotte pose for an awkward family picture; Bruce and his mother prepare a traditional family recipe.
Playing House - "Sleepless in Pinebrook" (USA Network, 10:30PM ET/PT)
The Property Brothers make over Maggie's body; Emma creates an online dating profile for Maggie; Bruce and Zach spend time with Charlotte.
Tuesday, August 4
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Catch Mr. Warmth on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Craig Robinson (Mr. Robinson/The Office) - Craig appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC, on the AOL Build Show and on SI Now.
- Michael Ian Black (The Jim Gaffigan Show/Ed) - Michael is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Josh Charles (Sports Night) - Josh visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Denis Leary (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/The Job) - Denis stops by Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11pm.
- Judy Greer (Married/Mad Love/Miss Guided) - Judy appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ron Funches (Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Tom Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) - Tom will be on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jessica St. Clair (Playing House/Best Friends Forever/In the Motherhood) and Lennon Parham (Playing House/Best Friends Forever/Accidentally on Purpose) - Jessica and Lennon talk about Playing House on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. Jessica will also be on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Jason talks about the film The End of the Hour on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy talks about how he almost walked away from Hollywood before landing the leading role on his hit sitcom and what really happened at his first shoot with co-star Melissa McCarthy on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Christopher Meloni (Surviving Jack/The Fanelli Boys) - Christopher is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Tim Bagley (Mr. Robinson/Web Therapy/Will & Grace) - Tim talks about his new series Mr. Robinson on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jerrod Carmichael (The Carmichael Show) - Jerrod appears on the AOL Build Show.
- Brandy Norwood (The Game/Moesha) - Brandy talks about her incognito NYC subway performance and her exciting new role on Broadway's Chicago on a repeat of Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- David Alan Grier (The Carmichael Show/Life with Bonnie/DAG) - David is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Fuller House/Full House) - Candace talks about her new book Dancing Through Life: Steps of Courage and Conviction on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel sometime between 6-9am. She also guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.