Monday, June 30, 2014
Girl Meets World Premiere Does Big in Ratings; Remembering Meshach Taylor of Designing Women, Dave's World
It's back and it's off to a great start! The highly-anticipated premiere of the comedy series Girl Meets World (which reunites Cory and Topanga of Boy Meets World) delivered 5.2 million Total Viewers and ranked as the #1 series launch of 2014 among major target youth demographics: Kids 2-11 (2.3 million/5.7 rating), Kids 6-11 (1.8 million/7.7 rating) and Tweens 9-14 (1.7 million/6.9 rating). The premiere aired Friday night at a special time of 9:45pm, following the premiere of the Disney Channel Original Movie Zapped, starring Disney Channel and Disney XD favorites Zendaya and Spencer Boldman, which delivered 5.7 million Total Viewers. Girl Meets World will air regularly every Friday night at 8:30pm beginning next Friday (July 11) only on Disney Channel. Look for guest appearances from other former Boy Meets World stars throughout this first season (of 21 episodes).
Girl Meets World, from executive producer Michael Jacobs, tells the wonderfully funny, heartfelt stories that the nostalgic favorite ABC sitcom Boy Meets World is renowned for - only this time from a tween girl's perspective. It introduces Rowan Blanchard as Riley Matthews, the tween daughter of Cory and Topanga Matthews, while Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel reprise the roles of one of television's favorite couples. Sabrina Carpenter (Sofia the First and a Hollywood Records recording artist) plays Riley's best friend, Maya Hart. August Maturo plays younger brother Auggie Matthews, Peyton Meyer plays Riley's crush Lucas Friar and Corey Fogelmanis is Farkle, an intelligent and quirky classmate (and son of Minkus).
Actor Meshach Taylor, best known for his roles as Anthony Bouvier in Designing Women and as Dr. Sheldon Baylor in Dave's World, has died. He died from cancer on June 28 at his home in Altadena, California. Mr. Taylor was 67.
Taylor's early television career included guest appearances in Barnaby Jones, The Incredible Hulk, The White Shadow, M*A*S*H, Barney Miller and Cagney & Lacey. He landed his first starring role as Tony in the 1983-84 NBC sitcom Buffalo Bill. The short-lived series starred Dabney Coleman, Joanna Cassidy, John Fielder, Max Wright, Geena Davis and Charles Robinson. The critically-acclaimed series received 11 Emmy Award nominations, including two for Outstanding Comedy Series.
Taylor starred as Anthony Bouvier in the 1986-93 CBS sitcom Designing Women. The popular series ran for 7 seasons. It starred Delta Burke, Dixie Carter, Jean Smart and Annie Potts. Anthony was an ex-con who worked as the deliveryman-handyman at the interior decorating business, Sugarbakers. He later became a partner of the design firm. Taylor received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 1989. He reprised his role of Anthony Bouvier in an episode of the spin-off series Women of the House in 1995. In 2003, he appeared in The Designing Women Reunion on Lifetime.
He next starred as Dr. Sheldon Baylor in the 1993-97 CBS sitcom Dave's World. The series was based on the writing of Pulitzer Prize-winning Miami Herald columnist Dave Barry. It focused on the daily trials and tribulations of Barry and his family. The series starred Harry Anderson, DeLane Matthews, Shadoe Stevens, J.C. Wendel, Zane Carney and Andrew Ducote. Sheldon (Shel) was their neighbor and Dave's best friend from high school. He was a recently divorced plastic surgeon.
Taylor had a recurring role in the 2004-07 Nickelodeon sitcom Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. He played Alastair Wright, the social studies teacher and later school principal. Some of his other sitcom guest appearances included The Golden Girls, ALF, What's Happening Now!!, Punky Brewster, Caroline in the City, The Drew Carey Show, All of Us, Hannah Montana and Jessie. His best known film role was as Hollywood Montrose, a flamboyant window dresser in Mannequin. Some of his other film credits included Damien: Omen II, The Howling, Explorers, The Allnighter and Mannequin Two: On the Move.
Survivors include his wife of 30 years, Bianca Ferguson; his daughters Yasmine, Tamar and Esme; his son, Tariq; and four grandchildren. Mr. Taylor was a very talented actor. He added so much to Designing Women. We thank him for the laughter he brought us over the years. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, December 10
Saturday, December 10
- Dennis Haskins (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Dennis will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Watch Jennifer Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also chats about the film Why Him? on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. She joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Matthew stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will talks about Collateral Beauty on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Out of Practice/Arrested Development) - Henry will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) - Megan is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.