Saturday, February 01, 2014
- The title of the series is Sean Saves the World, but it looks like time has run out for anybody to save the series, as production of the Sean Hayes sitcom was shut down early (Hollywood Reporter)
- Full House has been about the biggest thing in the world over this past week, as the guys of the series prepare to reunite in the name of Greek yogurt during the Super Bowl. We could bring you a lot of links about all of this week's Full House happenings, but perhaps the best came from the guys singing Jimmy Fallon to sleep on Late Night this week, as well as a Reddit Ask Me Anything. Whatever happened to predictability, anyway? (Entertainment Weekly)
- It seems that the saying "Friends are forever" has a real meaning for the actual cast members of Friends, because now David Schwimmer (who Ross on the Friends) is prepared to make his return to the sitcom world as the male lead in a potential ABC sitcom. (Deadline)
- We still have a long time until the Emmy Awards air on NBC, but don't expect to see Emmy Sunday in September this year. NBC has decided to instead bring us Emmy Monday, bizarrely scheduling the awards on Monday night in August to work around their Sunday night NFL programming. (Deadline)
- Desperate Housewives has been off the air for over a year now, but regardless, the entire Nicollette Sheridan lawsuit against the producers over the circumstances of her termination from the series is still going strong, and gained new steam this week. (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Antenna TV has an option if you'd prefer Sally field to a football field this Sunday, as they present a 16 hour marathon of The Flying Nun on Sunday. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- It has been more than five years since we last saw a release of Happy Days on DVD, but it looks like that is about to change on May 20, as CBS prepares to release Happy Days - The Fifth Season. The set comes at a $39.98 MSRP.
- Happy Days isn't the only series that is headed to DVD in May. According to TVShowsOnDVD.com, one of the spinoffs, Laverne & Shirley, will be finishing up with the final season on DVD on May 6. It isn't available to pre-order just yet.
- It seems that several studios have used the TV Guide name to sell DVDs, but now Mill Creek will use it for one of the most ambitious DVD projects ever from any studio, as they prepare to put together their new TV Guide Spotlight Series. The series puts together collections of 20 episode sets (at least for sitcoms) of multiple series that they have (or will) released on DVD, such as The Jeffersons, Good Times, Bewitched, Maude, Newsradio, That '70s Show, and much more. Of particular interest to us are Groundbreaking Sitcoms of the '70s, Great Comedies of the '90s, and Leading Ladies of Classic Comedy. They will all be released on March 18 and come at a $9.98 MSRP.
- We don't cover a whole lot of cartoons here, but another release from Mill Creek caught our attention this week, since it is an '80s cartoon that had featured a character who'd also appeared in a classic '50s sitcom (and above all else, his own comic strip)... they'll be releasing the animated series Dennis the Menace on DVD! They will begin with Dennis the Menace - Volume 1, which will contain the first 33 episodes of the animated series. It comes March 18, and at a $12.98 MSRP.
- If tax day has you a bit angry this year, you can get some Anger Management courtesy of Lionsgate, as they release Anger Management - Volume 3 on DVD and Blu-ray on that day (April 15, by the way).
RECENT HOME MEDIA REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE
- Joanie Loves Chachi - The Complete Series: The short-lived Happy Days spinoff starring Scott Baio and Erin Moran arrives on DVD, although as expected, there are a few musical edits.
- Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season: The most successful of the Happy Days spinoffs arrives on DVD for another season, also with a few musical edits.
FEBRUARY 4 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Ellen Show - The Complete Series (DVD, $9.98): Mill Creek puts together a re-release of Ellen DeGeneres CBS sitcom, which lasted for one season.
- Family Matters - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD, $29.98): Urkel and the gang return for another season of this fan-favorite sitcom staple that aired on ABC's TGIF lineup.
- Joanie Loves Chachi - The Complete Series (DVD, $29.98): The complete series of the Happy Days spinoff finally arrives on DVD.
- Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season (DVD, $39.98): The classic Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams sitcom returns to DVD for another season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.