Saturday, February 15, 2014
- With How I Met Your Mother coming to an end on CBS next month, the producers of the series and CBS are hoping to find success towards the potential spinoff, How I Met Your Dad. This week, indie film actress Greta Gerwig was cast in the lead role for the pilot of this series. (New York Times)
- NBC has ordered a pilot for Feed Me, a sitcom produced by Witt/Thomas Productions (a production team that has been around in the sitcom world for almost four decades, and part of the team that brought us hit series such as Soap, Benson, and The Golden Girls, among others) and starring Mary-Louise Parker (previously of Weeds). The pilot is described as "a comedic exploration of adult intimacy and desire that centers on a dysfunctional family bound by love and the restaurant they run together." It's still very early in the development phase, and many pilots never even make it to air, but we'll be keeping an eye on it! (Deadline)
- When Saturday Night Live returns after the Olympics, the host of the first new show will be one that sitcom fans are sure to appreciate: Jim Parsons of The Big Bang Theory. (Zap2it)
- Ralph Waite, best known for playing family patriarch John Walton on the series The Waltons, died this week at the age of 85. (Los Angeles Times)
- NBC is on track to go another season with no new sitcom successes, as both of their new sitcoms from fall 2013 (Sean Saves the World and The Michael J. Fox Show) have now been canceled. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Time-Life tends to announce one big DVD release per year, with past "big announcements" including Get Smart, The Carol Burnett Show, Mama's Family, China Beach, and others. This week, they announced that they'll be releasing the complete series of another sitcom favorite on DVD: The Wonder Years. No firm details are known about the set yet, other than the fact that it will include most of the original music from the series (something that has been lost in online streaming versions of the series). Keep checking back with us and WonderYearsDVDs.com (the official release website) for more details as they progress!
- Warner Home Video released Family Matters - The Complete Fourth Season on February 4, but it seems that they made a huge mistake on this release. Instead of releasing unedited episodes, it turns out that the entire season consisted of syndicated versions of the episodes. But there is good news in this story: the studio is replacing these "bad" releases in stores, and is making a disc replacement program available to customers who have already purchased the release. You can read more about this in the coverage provided by TVShowsOnDVD.com.
- The Dick Van Dyke Show wrapped up on DVD years ago, and if you're a devoted fan of the series and would like to own it on DVD, you may want to pick that DVD up as soon as possible. According to TVShowsOnDVD.com, a new episodes only re-release of the series is on the way, which assuming it follows the lead of The Twilight Zone, means that the original special features loaded DVDs will fall out of print (although the Blu-ray releases will maintain those features for the time being).
RECENT HOME MEDIA REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE
- The Jimmy Stewart Show - The Complete Series: Warner Archive puts together a great looking release of the complete series of this lost gem from the early 70s starring Jimmy Stewart.
FEBRUARY 18 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Nurse Jackie - Season Five (DVD, $39.98; Blu-ray, $39.97): The Showtime series about the nurse dealing with problems much bigger than what is going on at work returns to DVD for another season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.