Saturday, February 15, 2014
- With How I Met Your Mother coming to an end on CBS next month, the producers of the series and CBS are hoping to find success towards the potential spinoff, How I Met Your Dad. This week, indie film actress Greta Gerwig was cast in the lead role for the pilot of this series. (New York Times)
- NBC has ordered a pilot for Feed Me, a sitcom produced by Witt/Thomas Productions (a production team that has been around in the sitcom world for almost four decades, and part of the team that brought us hit series such as Soap, Benson, and The Golden Girls, among others) and starring Mary-Louise Parker (previously of Weeds). The pilot is described as "a comedic exploration of adult intimacy and desire that centers on a dysfunctional family bound by love and the restaurant they run together." It's still very early in the development phase, and many pilots never even make it to air, but we'll be keeping an eye on it! (Deadline)
- When Saturday Night Live returns after the Olympics, the host of the first new show will be one that sitcom fans are sure to appreciate: Jim Parsons of The Big Bang Theory. (Zap2it)
- Ralph Waite, best known for playing family patriarch John Walton on the series The Waltons, died this week at the age of 85. (Los Angeles Times)
- NBC is on track to go another season with no new sitcom successes, as both of their new sitcoms from fall 2013 (Sean Saves the World and The Michael J. Fox Show) have now been canceled. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Time-Life tends to announce one big DVD release per year, with past "big announcements" including Get Smart, The Carol Burnett Show, Mama's Family, China Beach, and others. This week, they announced that they'll be releasing the complete series of another sitcom favorite on DVD: The Wonder Years. No firm details are known about the set yet, other than the fact that it will include most of the original music from the series (something that has been lost in online streaming versions of the series). Keep checking back with us and WonderYearsDVDs.com (the official release website) for more details as they progress!
- Warner Home Video released Family Matters - The Complete Fourth Season on February 4, but it seems that they made a huge mistake on this release. Instead of releasing unedited episodes, it turns out that the entire season consisted of syndicated versions of the episodes. But there is good news in this story: the studio is replacing these "bad" releases in stores, and is making a disc replacement program available to customers who have already purchased the release. You can read more about this in the coverage provided by TVShowsOnDVD.com.
- The Dick Van Dyke Show wrapped up on DVD years ago, and if you're a devoted fan of the series and would like to own it on DVD, you may want to pick that DVD up as soon as possible. According to TVShowsOnDVD.com, a new episodes only re-release of the series is on the way, which assuming it follows the lead of The Twilight Zone, means that the original special features loaded DVDs will fall out of print (although the Blu-ray releases will maintain those features for the time being).
RECENT HOME MEDIA REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE
- The Jimmy Stewart Show - The Complete Series: Warner Archive puts together a great looking release of the complete series of this lost gem from the early 70s starring Jimmy Stewart.
FEBRUARY 18 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Nurse Jackie - Season Five (DVD, $39.98; Blu-ray, $39.97): The Showtime series about the nurse dealing with problems much bigger than what is going on at work returns to DVD for another season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, September 24
Henry Danger - "Love Muffin" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man suddenly announces he's getting married, Henry and Charlotte go searching for answers only to discover that things are not as they seem.
Game Shakers - "Secret Level" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Hudson releases false information about a secret level in a Game Shakers' game, Game Shakers is besieged by angry, crazy fans. Babe uses the secret level to go on a date with Mason Kendal.
School of Rock - "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Summer's failed attempt to share a locker with Freddy sets off a chain reaction of locker-switching that puts the entire band out of sync. Guest Star: Brec Bassinger
Saturday, September 24
- Norm Macdonald (Norm) - Watch Norm on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Catch Mark on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Watch Zach on on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Rob Lowe (The Grinder/Parks and Recreation) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Code Black on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Norm Macdonald (Norm) - Norm stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Margaret Cho (All-American Girl) - Margaret appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jaleel White (Family Matters/Grown Ups) - Jaleel is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Whoopi Goldberg (Whoopi/Bagdad Cafe) - Whoopi drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin performs live on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. She also talks about her new album on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton talks about Younger on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- The Cast of Younger) - Sutton Foster, Debi Mazar, Hilary Duff, Nico Tortorella, Peter Hermann, Miriam Shor and Molly Bernard are guests on the AOL Build Show at 2:15pm.