Monday, November 04, 2013
Brady Bunch Returns to TV Land; ABC Picks Up Full Seasons of The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife, But Not Back in the Game
TV Land has picked-up the rights to air The Brady Bunch. It was so last minute that they already started airing it this past weekend (Nov. 2-3). The sitcom will air every weekend on TV Land in block timeslots. The series hasn't aired on the network since 2010 when they lost rights, but now they bought it again! TV Land will air the groovy '70s comedy every Saturday morning from 9am-12pm and early Sunday mornings from 5am-9am. Also, TV Land will air multiple-part episodes and memorable episodes in a Sunday block from 3-6pm, such as the Bradys going to Hawaii, which aired yesterday. Next Sunday in that block, it will feature the Bradys going to the Grand Canyon and the classic Marcia episode where she gets hit in the nose by a football. "Oh my nose!" So, come hang out with the Brady family again on TV Land - Carol, Mike, Greg, Marcia, Jan, Peter, Cindy, Bobby and of course Alice the housekeeper!
ABC has announced that they have picked-up the "back nine" for two of its freshman comedies - The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife, which both air on Tuesday nights and air back-to-back at 9 & 9:30pm. Both comedies have gotten solid buzz and reception and have been consistent in the ratings in recent weeks. Now we will have a full 22 episode season for both of these comedies! As for the two new Wednesday freshman comedies, it's not as good news but Super Fun Night starring Rebel Wilson did get four additional episodes ordered, so it will have 17 episodes this season, as of now. The comedy airs at 9:30pm following top comedy Modern Family. And while additional episodes were ordered for the three freshman comedies, the fourth one didn't have such good news. Back in the Game starring James Caan and Maggie Grace will not go beyond its 13-episode season, meaning it will be 13 and out. ABC will continue to air the series though. Seven episodes are left to air. ABC should be done with its order by the end of January. It's somewhat surprising news that they decided this quickly, since the series wasn't a bomb in the ratings. One factor is DVR ratings and this series didn't receive much of a bump as the other three comedies. Come mid-season, ABC has returning comedy Suburgatory waiting on deck as well as new comedy Mixology. The latter could be used with Super Fun Night, should ABC move that comedy to another timeslot. Perhaps Trophy Wife might be used on Wednesdays come mid-season, but that's just a guess. Suburgatory could be an option on Wednesdays again. We should know in the next few weeks when ABC announces its plan for January. Stay with us.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, March 29
The Goldbergs - "A Night to Remember" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s prom night, and all three Goldberg kids have big plans, which go awry. Barry plans big romantic gestures for Lainey while Erica and Geoff try to go to prom together, but it doesn’t go as planned. Meanwhile, Adam is thrilled when a nerdy but cute junior asks him out, but he is horrified when Beverly gets involved.
Imaginary Mary - "Pilot" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
A fiercely independent career woman, Alice has her life turned upside-down when she meets Ben, a divorced father with three children, and soon falls head-over-heals for him. This triggers more upheaval when the imaginary friend she created as a child, Mary, suddenly reappears as she is nervous to meet Ben’s kids for the first time.
Modern Family - "Five Minutes" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
So much can happen to the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan in five minutes! Mitch and Cam have five minutes to catch a new flight while fighting the effects of sleeping pills they took prematurely. Then at Rainer’s birthday dinner, Haley and Rainer are forced to reevaluate their entire relationship in the five minutes before the birthday cake arrives. Meanwhile, Phil and Claire pay a surprise visit to Alex and are given a five-minute surprise introduction to her new boyfriend. Finally, with only five minutes to catch a movie, Manny has to find the perfect parking space and endure Jay and Gloria’s backseat argument.
black-ish - "Richard Youngsta" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is excited about doing a campaign with a popular rap star but becomes conflicted when Bow and Ruby provide feedback suggesting it plays on stereotypes. Meanwhile, Bow is determined to get the family to stop eating so much take-out food, but realizes the family may be too accustomed to eating whatever they want.
Nobodies - "Mr. First Lady" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
After years toiling away writing on a kids cartoon, “The Fartlemans”, Groundlings Alums Larry, Rachel and Hugh finally get their big break: A chance to pitch their film script “Mr. First Lady” at Paramount.
Lopez - "Leaving Las Vegas" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
George quits his Las Vegas residency, causing big problems. Manolo gets out of jail and introduces his roommate, Hector, to everyone.
Schitt's Creek - "Friends & Family" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Johnny and Moira look for a location for the family portrait; David hosts a soft launch for the new store.
Wednesday, March 29
- Andrew Rannells (Girls/The New Normal) - Watch Andrew on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Paul F. Tompkins (DAG) - Paul is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Milana Vayntrub (Other Space) - Milana appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andy Daly (Review/Eastbound & Down) - Andy appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig is a guest on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- George Lopez (Lopez/George Lopez) - George discusses the second season of Lopez on the AOL Build Show at 5:30pm.