Monday, November 04, 2013
Brady Bunch Returns to TV Land; ABC Picks Up Full Seasons of The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife, But Not Back in the Game
TV Land has picked-up the rights to air The Brady Bunch. It was so last minute that they already started airing it this past weekend (Nov. 2-3). The sitcom will air every weekend on TV Land in block timeslots. The series hasn't aired on the network since 2010 when they lost rights, but now they bought it again! TV Land will air the groovy '70s comedy every Saturday morning from 9am-12pm and early Sunday mornings from 5am-9am. Also, TV Land will air multiple-part episodes and memorable episodes in a Sunday block from 3-6pm, such as the Bradys going to Hawaii, which aired yesterday. Next Sunday in that block, it will feature the Bradys going to the Grand Canyon and the classic Marcia episode where she gets hit in the nose by a football. "Oh my nose!" So, come hang out with the Brady family again on TV Land - Carol, Mike, Greg, Marcia, Jan, Peter, Cindy, Bobby and of course Alice the housekeeper!
ABC has announced that they have picked-up the "back nine" for two of its freshman comedies - The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife, which both air on Tuesday nights and air back-to-back at 9 & 9:30pm. Both comedies have gotten solid buzz and reception and have been consistent in the ratings in recent weeks. Now we will have a full 22 episode season for both of these comedies! As for the two new Wednesday freshman comedies, it's not as good news but Super Fun Night starring Rebel Wilson did get four additional episodes ordered, so it will have 17 episodes this season, as of now. The comedy airs at 9:30pm following top comedy Modern Family. And while additional episodes were ordered for the three freshman comedies, the fourth one didn't have such good news. Back in the Game starring James Caan and Maggie Grace will not go beyond its 13-episode season, meaning it will be 13 and out. ABC will continue to air the series though. Seven episodes are left to air. ABC should be done with its order by the end of January. It's somewhat surprising news that they decided this quickly, since the series wasn't a bomb in the ratings. One factor is DVR ratings and this series didn't receive much of a bump as the other three comedies. Come mid-season, ABC has returning comedy Suburgatory waiting on deck as well as new comedy Mixology. The latter could be used with Super Fun Night, should ABC move that comedy to another timeslot. Perhaps Trophy Wife might be used on Wednesdays come mid-season, but that's just a guess. Suburgatory could be an option on Wednesdays again. We should know in the next few weeks when ABC announces its plan for January. Stay with us.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, December 10
Saturday, December 10
- Dennis Haskins (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Dennis will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Watch Jennifer Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also chats about the film Why Him? on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. She joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Matthew stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will talks about Collateral Beauty on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Out of Practice/Arrested Development) - Henry will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) - Megan is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.