Sunday, September 22, 2013
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of Sept. 9-15)
- The Simpsons (Fox) 2 airings - The regular 8pm repeat did 3.76 million and a 1.50 18-49 rating, which is about 1.4 points lower in 18-49 than previous week, which had a direct NFL lead-in. A repeat leading in at 7:30pm did just 2.0 million and a 0.82 18-49 rating.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - A repeat at 8:30pm did only 2.13 million and a 0.95 18-49 rating, down about nine tenths in 18-49 week-to-week.
- Family Guy (Fox) 2 airings - The 9pm airing did 3.14 million and a 1.37 18-49 rating, which is down three tenths in 18-49 from previous week. Another repeat followed at 9:30pm with 3.54 million and a 1.59 18-49 rating, down just about a tenth in 18-49 week-to-week.
- American Dad (Fox) - A repeat at 7pm did only 1.5 million and a 0.65 18-49 rating.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - The final summer repeat of the season did 4.3 million and a 1.4 18-49 rating.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 5.02 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating, which is above normal. A repeat leading in at 8:30pm did just as well with 4.38 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A special Monday repeat at 9:30pm did 6.12 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, great numbers but down a tenth in 18-49 week-to-week.
- Dads (Fox) - The series premiere of this new sitcom did 5.76 million and a 2.2 18-49 rating with minimal competition. Could be better.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox) - The series premiere of this new single-camera comedy at 8:30pm did 6.17 million and a 2.6 18-49 rating, which is solid. If it can remain near a 2.2-2.6+ for the season it will be more than good enough.
- New Girl (Fox) - The season premiere for this comedy did a solid 5.53 million and a 2.9 18-49 rating, skewing very young as usual.
- The Mindy Project (Fox) - The season premiere was the lowest of the block with 3.83 million and a 1.9 18-49 rating. This show will never be a mass hit.
- The Middle (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8 did 4.07 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, while the last summer repeat of the season followed with a similar 3.9 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating.
- Modern Family (ABC) 2 airings - At 9pm, a summer repeat did 3.73 million and a 1.2 rating, up a tenth in 18-49 from previous week. A second repeat followed with 4.07 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating, up four tenths in 18-49 from previous week. New season begins Wednesday!
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) 2 airings - A repeat did 8.95 million and a 2.2 18-49 rating, up two tenths better in 18-49 from previous week. A second repeat aired at 9pm and did 8.01 million and a 2.2 18-49 rating, skewing younger than the 8pm repeat.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) 2 airings - A repeat at 8:30pm did 7.03 million and a 1.6 18-49 rating. A second repeat at 9:30pm skewed younger with 6.73 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating.
- Dads (Fox) - An encore of the pilot did 2.89 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, which is just extra exposure.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox) - An encore of this pilot did 2.46 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) - The season premiere did a prelim 6.55 million and a prelim 1.5 18-49 rating, which is similar to what it was doing last season. Could grow as we get colder (and darker out).
- The Neighbors (ABC) - The season premiere on its new night did a prelim 4.64 million and a prelim 1.2 18-49 rating. Lower than what Malibu Country was doing in total viewers, but similar to its 18-49. I could see this show growing as the season goes along because it is a hidden gem.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) 2 airings - A repeat at 8pm posted a prelim 2.58 million and a prelim 0.4 18-49 rating, down four tenths in 18-49 from previous week's prelim rating. A repeat at 8:30pm did a prelim 2.93 million and a prelim 0.5 18-49 rating, down three tenths in 18-49 from previous week's prelim Two and a Half Men in the time period.
Summing it up. New episodes of New Girl, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and repeats of The Big Bang Theory (both Mon/Thurs), Two and a Half Men, 2 Broke Girls, Modern Family-930P and last Sunday's Family Guy were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as Dads, Last Man Standing, The Mindy Project) or just plain old terrible (such as Sat repeats of Mike & Molly).
Feeling the repeat blues? Look for original sitcoms on TV this summer. Some highlights include: Nick at Nite has the Scott Baio sitcom See Dad Run every Sunday at 8pm and is it all-new tonight at 8|7c, then Wendell & Vinnie is all-new tonight at 8:30pm. New episodes of Sam & Cat and The Haunted Hathaways air every Saturday beginning at 8pm on Nick! FX's Charlie Sheen sitcom Anger Management airs Thursdays at 9:30pm and is brand new this week. New sitcom airings are the perfect way to beat the summer blues! Look for our daily rundown of what sitcoms are airing each night every day at the bottom of the blog story so you don't miss anything!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, December 9
Last Man Standing - "Help Wanted" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Since losing her teaching job, Vanessa has been spending her time hovering over the family, and it’s driving everyone nuts. Over at Kristin and Ryan’s house, Ryan and Kyle are wrapped-up in a zombie face-off to determine who knows the most about zombies and how to survive an apocalypse. Unable to land a new gig, Vanessa becomes discouraged, but Mike does everything he can to get her back doing what she loves.
Dr. Ken - "Ken's Apology" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken wants to apologize to a patient for missing an important medical detail, Pat advises against it, and the situation gets out of hand. Meanwhile, D.K. shakes things up at Dave’s parent/teacher conference.
Friday, December 9
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Watch Olivia on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Tom Papa (Come to Papa) - Tom is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bella Thorne (Shake It Up) - Bella is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (The Crazy Ones) - Sarah whips up a delicious treat on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Richard Kind (Spin City/Mad About You) - Richard is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer appears on Chelsea on Netflix.