Wednesday, June 05, 2013
WGN America Orders First Original Series; Episodic Review: Baby Daddy - "There's Something Fitchy Going On" - Airing Tonight on ABC Family
WGN America has ordered the drama series Salem from award-winning producers Brannon Braga (24, Star Trek: TNG, Voyager & Enterprise) and Adam Simon. The series hails from Fox 21 (Homeland, Sons of Anarchy), the prolific cable production division of Twentieth Century Fox Television, and marks the first original scripted series for WGN America as it begins to aggressively expand its programming slate. Set in the volatile world of 17th century Massachusetts, Salem explores what really fueled the town's infamous witch trials and dares to uncover the dark, supernatural truth hiding behind the veil of this infamous period in American history. In Salem, witches are real, but they are not who or what they seem. The show, which centers on an epic romance wrapped around this explosive revelation, delivers a bold new vision of Salem – and an even bolder new vision of witches.
WGN America has ordered 13 episodes entering production this fall in for a 2014 premiere. The series was created and written by Brannon Braga and Adam Simon, who will serve as executive producers alongside Prospect Park's Josh Barry and Jeff Kwatinetz. The series will be produced by Fox 21. Stay with us for continued updates and maybe soon an original sitcom will make its way to WGN America in the future?
On the next...Baby Daddy:
ABC Family's New Comedy Wednesday sitcom starring an ensemble young cast lead by Jean-Luc Bilodeau and Chelsea Kane, airs Wednesday nights at 8:30pm and we have just the next episode that airs tonight (June 5). And it's a Kyle XY reunion with Matt Dallas guest starring! In the episode airing tonight, "There's Something Fitchy Going On," Ben (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) discovers a shocking secret about Riley's (Chelsea Kane) new beau, Fitch (guest star Matt Dallas, Kyle XY), and tries to warn her. Meanwhile, Bonnie (Melissa Peterman) accidentally sends a revealing message from Danny (Derek Theler) to Riley's cell phone. Things heat up between Danny and his new model girlfriend, Milena, and Tucker (Tahj Mowry) pounces on an opportunity to shine with his boss, Chase (guest star Wayne Brady).
What the "fitch" is going on? Last week on the season premiere we ended the episode with Riley meeting a new guy at a law firm party and both Ben and Danny were too late. We continue that arc in this episode but it doesn't seem it is literally right away because Riley and Fitch have started a relationship. It's probably at least a few days or a week after the law firm party, we're guessing. It's unclear but the episode is still good. We have a lot of laughs and a lot of crazy antics. Obviously the main storyline is for Riley and Fitch and what Ben thinks about it and what he will do. Ben learns a secret about Fitch by accidentally seeing something he shouldn't have seen (a classic sitcom device). Is Fitch really a good guy? We also have a comical storyline with Danny and Bonnie regarding Riley's cell phone. He left her a voicemail by accident and they try to get a hold of Riley's phone before she sees it. Will they succeed? It's a lot of fun. And the final storyline is with Tucker and his new "hands-on" celebrity boss Chase. Wayne Brady is very funny as Chase and he can't keep his hands off of women. Looks like we might see more of him, but in this episode we don't have much of him.
Riley is going to be torn again by love by the end of the episode. It always turns out that it is something that you think would never happen. Matt Dallas is great as the "perfect" Fitch. Hopefully we see more of him this season. This episode is more fun than last week's premiere but I don't think it has good as the premiere. This episode is more silly fun but we need that on sitcoms. It makes them more fun and these multi-camera sitcoms do that. Like I said before, this is a Boy Meets World style show and I could definitely see all of these plotlines for this episode on that show. I think Bonnie gets more funnier with each episode, as Melissa Peterman plays her perfectly. It's another great episode and the story arc continues! It's the "Life of Riley" and who is going to win her over? B+
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, December 10
Saturday, December 10
- Dennis Haskins (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Dennis will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Watch Jennifer Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also chats about the film Why Him? on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. She joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Matthew stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will talks about Collateral Beauty on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Out of Practice/Arrested Development) - Henry will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) - Megan is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.