Wednesday, June 05, 2013
WGN America Orders First Original Series; Episodic Review: Baby Daddy - "There's Something Fitchy Going On" - Airing Tonight on ABC Family
WGN America has ordered the drama series Salem from award-winning producers Brannon Braga (24, Star Trek: TNG, Voyager & Enterprise) and Adam Simon. The series hails from Fox 21 (Homeland, Sons of Anarchy), the prolific cable production division of Twentieth Century Fox Television, and marks the first original scripted series for WGN America as it begins to aggressively expand its programming slate. Set in the volatile world of 17th century Massachusetts, Salem explores what really fueled the town's infamous witch trials and dares to uncover the dark, supernatural truth hiding behind the veil of this infamous period in American history. In Salem, witches are real, but they are not who or what they seem. The show, which centers on an epic romance wrapped around this explosive revelation, delivers a bold new vision of Salem – and an even bolder new vision of witches.
WGN America has ordered 13 episodes entering production this fall in for a 2014 premiere. The series was created and written by Brannon Braga and Adam Simon, who will serve as executive producers alongside Prospect Park's Josh Barry and Jeff Kwatinetz. The series will be produced by Fox 21. Stay with us for continued updates and maybe soon an original sitcom will make its way to WGN America in the future?
On the next...Baby Daddy:
ABC Family's New Comedy Wednesday sitcom starring an ensemble young cast lead by Jean-Luc Bilodeau and Chelsea Kane, airs Wednesday nights at 8:30pm and we have just the next episode that airs tonight (June 5). And it's a Kyle XY reunion with Matt Dallas guest starring! In the episode airing tonight, "There's Something Fitchy Going On," Ben (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) discovers a shocking secret about Riley's (Chelsea Kane) new beau, Fitch (guest star Matt Dallas, Kyle XY), and tries to warn her. Meanwhile, Bonnie (Melissa Peterman) accidentally sends a revealing message from Danny (Derek Theler) to Riley's cell phone. Things heat up between Danny and his new model girlfriend, Milena, and Tucker (Tahj Mowry) pounces on an opportunity to shine with his boss, Chase (guest star Wayne Brady).
What the "fitch" is going on? Last week on the season premiere we ended the episode with Riley meeting a new guy at a law firm party and both Ben and Danny were too late. We continue that arc in this episode but it doesn't seem it is literally right away because Riley and Fitch have started a relationship. It's probably at least a few days or a week after the law firm party, we're guessing. It's unclear but the episode is still good. We have a lot of laughs and a lot of crazy antics. Obviously the main storyline is for Riley and Fitch and what Ben thinks about it and what he will do. Ben learns a secret about Fitch by accidentally seeing something he shouldn't have seen (a classic sitcom device). Is Fitch really a good guy? We also have a comical storyline with Danny and Bonnie regarding Riley's cell phone. He left her a voicemail by accident and they try to get a hold of Riley's phone before she sees it. Will they succeed? It's a lot of fun. And the final storyline is with Tucker and his new "hands-on" celebrity boss Chase. Wayne Brady is very funny as Chase and he can't keep his hands off of women. Looks like we might see more of him, but in this episode we don't have much of him.
Riley is going to be torn again by love by the end of the episode. It always turns out that it is something that you think would never happen. Matt Dallas is great as the "perfect" Fitch. Hopefully we see more of him this season. This episode is more fun than last week's premiere but I don't think it has good as the premiere. This episode is more silly fun but we need that on sitcoms. It makes them more fun and these multi-camera sitcoms do that. Like I said before, this is a Boy Meets World style show and I could definitely see all of these plotlines for this episode on that show. I think Bonnie gets more funnier with each episode, as Melissa Peterman plays her perfectly. It's another great episode and the story arc continues! It's the "Life of Riley" and who is going to win her over? B+
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.