Tuesday, March 19, 2013
TV One Orders Second Season of Sitcom Rickey Smiley Show; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Quick Hardening Caulk" Airing Tonight on Fox
TV One, on the heels of a record-breaking 2012 fall launch, has announced a second season pick-up of its original hit sitcom The Rickey Smiley Show. The second season of The Rickey Smiley Show is scheduled to begin production in April with a 26-episode order and is slated to premiere in the summer of 2013. The September 2012 premiere of The Rickey Smiley Show, which catapulted TV One to a network ratings high, garnered a 1.08 HH rating, delivering 621,000 homes and among P25-54, earned a 0.75 rating, delivering 468,000 viewers. The second original episode airing at 9:30pm improved on the premiere, garnering a 1.12 HH rating, delivering 642,000 homes and among 25-54, earned a 0.83 rating with a delivery of 515,000 viewers. Over the four telecasts of the premieres and encores, The Rickey Smiley Show had a gross average audience of nearly 2.3 million viewers.
The Rickey Smiley Show stars comedian and nationally syndicated radio personality Rickey Smiley. In the series loosely based on his life, Smiley plays a popular national radio personality who is a single father trying to balance his family life - including his ex-wife - and career in the spotlight. The half-hour multi-camera comedy also stars multi-platinum artist and actor Ray J as Kenny, Smiley's morning show producer and protégé; J Anthony Brown as Rickey's radio station manager Maurice, aka "Mo-Sweets" from his earlier rap career; veteran actress Roz Ryan as Aunt Sylvia; Jay Lewis as Rickey's 18-year-old son Brandon; Ajiona Alexus as Smiley's 16-year-old daughter De'Anna; Gabriel Burgess as his youngest son Aaron; Noree Victoria as his business manager Simone Renee Jackson; and Demetria McKinney as Rickey's uber-career oriented ex-wife, Monica. The series also features several celebrity guest stars and special appearances from many of the original characters Smiley has made famous on his radio show over the years, including Mrs. Bernice Jenkins, Lil' Daryl, Minister Joe Willie and Beauford. The Rickey Smiley Show is produced for TV One by BobbCat Films. Executive producers include veteran television and film producer Roger Bobb (Tyler Perry's House of Payne & Meet the Browns), series star Rickey Smiley, Yolanda Starks-White, and Ward White. Executive in charge of production for TV One is Tia Smith.
Stay with us in the coming days as we announce a classic comedy coming to the TV One Friday Night Classic Comedy line-up this spring, joining recent addition What's Happening!!, and other series like The Jeffersons. And stay with us for continued updates ob The Rickey Smiley Show and all things TV One!
On the next...New Girl:
By: Todd Fox's Tuesday adorkable sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel airs Tuesday nights at 9:00pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (March 19). We have Odette Annable (Fox's Breaking In, House) guest starring! In the episode airing tonight, "Quick Hardening Caulk," Jess (Zooey Deschanel) comes to a conclusion about her romantic feelings for Nick (Jake Johnson) and she struggles to tell him - until she's hopped up on pain medication. But after admitting her feelings, she finds out he may have been keeping something from her. Meanwhile, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) becomes obsessed with buying a fish, which Winston (Lamorne Morris) sees as a metaphor for Schmidt's unresolved feelings toward Cece (Hannah Simone). And, Nick plans a bar promotion to impress the bar owner (guest star Odette Annable). The episode opens with Schmidt and the gang drinking at the bar. They are surprised when Nick gives them a check. Nick comes up with a promotion of a guys' night out. Nick's ambition at the bar makes Jess want him even more. Later, Schmidt and Winston see the new bar manager, Shane, kissing Nick at the bar. Schmidt and Winston then go the aquarium where Schmidt spots a beautiful and exotic fish. The gang is surprised when Schmidt brings an aquarium into the apartment. Jess takes Nick to the hardware store to pick up some supplies, including some quick hardening caulk, for the promotion at the bar. Jess is accidentally knocked out by a piece of wood. While she is hopped up on pain medication, she does a Judy Garland impersonation and shows him her true feelings. Schmidt and Winston take their search for the elusive lion fish to the ocean, but trouble strikes for Schmidt. Jess surprises Nick at the bar where she sees a secret has been kept from her. Cece later visits Schmidt and brings him a gift. Finally, Jess and Nick get in a huge argument at the apartment over what she witnessed at the bar.
Jess finally admits she has feelings for Nick in tonight's all-new episode. This is one of the best episodes in recent months. Everything just clicks in a very entertaining and funny episode. The relationship between Jess and Nick has been building for weeks and has taken many twists and turns. Their chemistry together makes them one of TV's best couples. The beautiful Odette Annable, who was recently seen in Fox's Breaking In, makes her first appearance as the hot new bar manager, Shane. She is only in a couple of short scenes, but she is expected to make more appearances later this season. That Nick is one lucky guy to have her all over him. Her feelings for Nick could lead to some problems for Jess down the road. It would have been unrealistic to expect smooth sailing for Jess and Nick. The secondary story of Schmidt and Winston searching for a lion fish is also a fun one. There's some great physical comedy in this episode. It is one of the show's strengths, along with a great cast and solid writing. B+
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.