Friday, March 08, 2013
IFC Orders Two Comedies From Will Ferrell and Ben Stiller; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 11, 2013)
IFC has greenlit the original scripted comedy The Spoils of Babylon produced by Funny or Die. Putting their talent behind the show as executive producers are Will Ferrell (Anchorman), Adam McKay (Step Brothers), Matt Piedmont (Casa de mi Padre), who also directs and co-writes and Andrew Steele (Saturday Night Live), who also co-wrote the script. The Spoils of Babylon is a television adaptation of a best-selling epic novel by fictional famous author Eric Jonrosh (played by Ferrell) and will feature an ensemble cast to be announced later. The blowsy century-spanning saga chronicles the sexy and dramatic lives of a family who made their fortune in the oil business. IFC has ordered six, half-hour episodes to premiere in late 2013. In the vein of The Thorn Birds and Winds of War, the epic story of The Spoils of Babylon spans three generations, taking viewers from the oil fields of Texas to boardrooms in New York City, through world war battlefields and velvet sheeted bedrooms. As the story unfolds, the booze, the passion and the heartache lead to illegal arms deals and international espionage with the Shah of Iran not to mention the creation of the doomed sub-prime market.
Meanwhile, IFC has also greenlit ten half-hour episodes of The Birthday Boys, a new scripted original sketch comedy to join the network's "Always on. Slightly off." line-up later this year. Executive produced by Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Mr. Show) and Ben Stiller (the upcoming The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Zoolander), The Birthday Boys features the Los Angeles comedy group of the same name (UCB Theatre Los Angeles, Just for Laughs Festival) along with Odenkirk. The series is in the classic vein of absurd/silly/smart/funny variety shows (Mr. Show, Monty Python), featuring sketches that twist real-life moments and cultural touchstones. An early episode tackles such issues as eggs, toilet paper and computers. The Birthday Boys comedy group includes Jefferson Dutton, Dave Ferguson, Mike Hanford, Tim Kalpakis, Matt Kowalick, Mike Mitchell and Chris VanArtsdalen - whose combined credits include Parks and Recreation, The Office, Conan, Comedy Bang! Bang!, and Portlandia.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 11-15, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 11, 2013
- Jami Gertz (The Neighbors/Still Standing/Square Pegs) - Watch Jami on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Bridgit Mendler (Good Luck Charlie) - Bridgit appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Nicole Sullivan (Wendell and Vinnie/Rita Rocks/The King of Queens) - Nicole is a guest on Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Alan Thicke (Growing Pains) - Alan chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Alan and Tanya Thicke (Celebrity Wife Swap) join co-host Clinton Kelly in creating a decadent and easy bacon entrée on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily chats on Joy Behar: Say Anything! at 9pm on Current TV.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse visits Anderson Live, so check your listings.
- Valerie Harper (Rhoda/The Mary Tyler Moore Show/Valerie's Family) - Valerie discusses her brain cancer on The Doctors, so check your local listings.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Catch Steve on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone opens in theaters on March 15.
- Adam Driver (Girls) - Adam appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Tune in to see Alice on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ben Schwartz (Parks and Recreation) - Ben visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Josh Charles (Sports Night) - Josh stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Regina King (227) - Regina drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Watch Steve on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Jennifer appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) - Catch Jim on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Anthony Anderson (Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve continues to make the rounds on Conan at 11pm on TBS. He will also be part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Louie Anderson (The Louie Show/Life with Louie) - Louie chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Megan Mullally (Will & Grace/Breaking In/Parks and Recreation) - Watch Megan on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - The talented and beautiful Irish lass Jenny McCarthy (The Jenny McCarthy Show) joins co-host Mario Batali to cook up a yummy Pork Shepherd's Pie that won't break the bank on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve wraps up his appearances this week on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kimberly Williams-Paisley (According to Jim) - Kimberly stops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Bill Engvall (The Bill Engvall Show) - Bill guest co-hosts "Guy Day Friday" on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Andy Dick (NewsRadio) - Andy chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 29
Superstore - "Back to Work" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy (America Ferrera) tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah (Ben Feldman) attempts to help an unyielding Dina (Lauren Ash) win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo (Nico Santos) discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Earworm Reverberation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon has a revelation when he realizes why a song was stuck in his head. Also, Amy invites Dave (Stephen Merchant) over for dinner despite their previously awkward date, and Wolowitz and Koothrappali become obsessed with a fan of their band, “Footprints on the Moon.”
Kevin Can Wait - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin James stars as a newly retired police officer looking forward to spending carefree, quality time with his wife and three kids, only to find he faces tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.
Better Things - "Woman Is the Something of the Something" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam gets really looked at.
Thursday, September 29
- Judith Light (Transparent/Phenom/Who's the Boss?) - Catch Judith on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Meadows (Son of Zorn/Marry Me/The Michael Richards Show) - Tim appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Go On) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Ken will also be on Harry, so check your local listings.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be) - Holland talks about The Front Page on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Guys with Kids) - Jamie-Lynn is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.