Friday, March 22, 2013
Episodic Reviews: Last Man Standing - "College Girl" and Malibu Country - "All You Single Ladies" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 25, 2013)
On the next...Last Man Standing:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Tim Allen airs Friday nights at 8:00pm and we have just watched the season finale that airs tonight (March 22). Jonathan Taylor Thomas makes a special guest star appearance when he reunites with Tim Allen, his dad from Home Improvement. In the season finale episode airing tonight, "College Girl," when the less-than-studious Mandy (Molly Ephraim) gets accepted to not one but two colleges, Kristin (Amanda Fuller) realizes it's time to reevaluate where she is in her life. While out on a special date with Ryan (Jordan Masterson), she is pleasantly surprised to see Jon (special guest Jonathan Taylor Thomas), a former co-worker from the diner where she still works, who is now the successful owner of a hip, upscale restaurant. Meanwhile, Mike (Tim Allen) and Vanessa (Nancy Travis) wonder if Mandy's college choice, a party school in California, is right for her; and Eve (Kaitlyn Dever) gets help with her Junior ROTC competition from neighbor Chuck Larabee (guest star Jonathan Adams).
It's another good episode for this series. The big draw of the episode is Jonathan Taylor Thomas guest starring and reuniting with his TV dad Tim Allen from Home Improvement. It's also the season finale and while Thomas doesn't have many scenes, the ones he has stand-out. Mandy has been accepted to an expensive college Laguna Beach, but Mike & Vanessa think she is a better fit for UC-Denver since it would save them $200,000. She obviously wants to know to Laguna Beach University, but what will that mean for her and Kyle? All I'll say is Kyle's hilarious one-liners continue. He's do dumb but lovable. In another storyline, Kristin and Ryan go on a date at an expensive restaurant (that Ryan can't afford). All of a sudden Kristin's former co-worker Jon Baker pops-up (literally!)...and he is now the owner a restaurant, the one they are dining at! They get a free meal out of it and Kristin begins to ponder that she needs to move on with her life...which means she wants to now move out of her parents house, but not move in with Ryan. In a sub-plot, Eve and next-door neighbor Mr. Larabee practice for a ROTC competition, while this doesn't have much time as the other two storylines, it still brings the funny.
The reunion between Tim Allen and Jonathan Taylor Thomas has a great scene towards the end of the episode. There are some great Home Improvement references, including "more power" and Tim's roar. Tim's character Mike is involved in all of the story-lines including the really small plot of Boyd pranking everyone. When Mike is involved in all storylines in an episode, you know it is a strong episode. Even Mr. Larabee gets involved a bit in the Kristin-Ryan storyline. It's a great season finale and felt like a season finale. Kristin has some announcements at the end of the episode (will Jon Baker be involved?) and I can't wait to see what happens next season! We also get a resolution for Mandy's college decision, either way, it'll be interesting to see her live the college life next season whether it's at LBU or UC-D. Great episode and a great season (especially the second half). B+
On the next...Malibu Country:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Reba airs Friday nights at 8:30pm and we have just watched the season finale of this sitcom as well that airs tonight (March 22). Is Reba headed into the dating world? In the season finale episode airing tonight, "All You Single Ladies," Reba's (Reba McEntire) family secretly makes an online date on her behalf, but her first meeting with Brad (guest star Stacy Keach, Mike Hammer, Private Eye) doesn't exactly go as planned. Nonetheless, Reba finds herself appreciating the experience and admits that she might finally be ready to tackle the dating scene.
Reba is heading back to the dating world, but will it work out? On the season finale, she is not looking to date again (instead she wants to stay home and do a puzzle) but her family (lead by her mom Lillie Mae and friend Kim) realizes that she needs to go on a date, especially after the mail guy flirts with her. They then create a profile for her on the online dating website "Find That Mate." However, the picture they used was from 10 years ago and used an app called Photox to "enhance" it. They also already accepted a date on behalf of her with this guy named Brad. When Reba meets Brad for coffee the next day, we get a hilarious surprise ("Jurassic Brad!"). I'll say they don't really hit it off, but Lilly Mae was at the coffee place as Reba's "wing woman" and something will happen. Even more hilarious! In other storylines, Cash also tries to get in on the online dating game, as June helps him set-up his profile, but he wants to look older because he wants a college girl. Like Reba's encounter, the girl she meets is not who he expected! Also, June is celebrating her 19th day anniversary with Sage. But there is not much at all on that.
This is a good episode, but just didn't feel like a season finale to me. That's not a bad thing, but just pointing that out. Brad said that Reba wasn't fun, so Reba tries to prove that she is by going on a trapeze and the episode ends as a success for Reba. Without giving it away, it looks like next season we will have more of this. She certainly abandoned her fears and took some risks! Good ending and I hope we get to see more next season. I think it will be back. Solid Friday show and throwback to TGIF style shows. B-
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 25-29, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 25, 2013
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Watch Ray on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Scott Baio (See Dad Run/Charles in Charge/Happy Days) - Scott meets three fans on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Anson Williams (Happy Days) - Anson reminisces with Marie on the long-running show and reveals his latest entrepreneurial ventures as an inventor on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Todd Bridges (Diff'rent Strokes) - Todd appears on Katie, so check your local listings.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Catch Jeremy on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Sarah Chalke (How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)/Scrubs/Roseanne) - Sarah visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) - Miley is a guest on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena appears on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Jerry Trainor (Wendell & Vinnie/Drake & Josh/iCarly) - Jerry stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Courteney Cox (Cougar Town/Friends) - Tune in to see Courteney on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Brandy Norwood (Moesha), Lauren London and Jay Ellis (The Game) - Brandy, Lauren and Jay dish about the new season of The Game on The Wendy Williams Show at 1am on BET or on your local stations. The show repeats on Friday.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Watch Mr. Warmth on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Seth Green (Greg the Bunny/Four Kings) - Seth appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Watch Betty on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy continues to make the rounds on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Julie White (Go On/Grace Under Fire) - Julie reveals what it was like working with beloved stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field and Steven Spielberg on the set of Oscar® nominated film Lincoln on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Benjamin Stockham (1600 Penn/Sons of Tucson) - Benjamin talks to Marie about working on 1600 Penn on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy guest co-hosts Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena appears on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.