Friday, March 22, 2013
Episodic Reviews: Last Man Standing - "College Girl" and Malibu Country - "All You Single Ladies" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 25, 2013)
On the next...Last Man Standing:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Tim Allen airs Friday nights at 8:00pm and we have just watched the season finale that airs tonight (March 22). Jonathan Taylor Thomas makes a special guest star appearance when he reunites with Tim Allen, his dad from Home Improvement. In the season finale episode airing tonight, "College Girl," when the less-than-studious Mandy (Molly Ephraim) gets accepted to not one but two colleges, Kristin (Amanda Fuller) realizes it's time to reevaluate where she is in her life. While out on a special date with Ryan (Jordan Masterson), she is pleasantly surprised to see Jon (special guest Jonathan Taylor Thomas), a former co-worker from the diner where she still works, who is now the successful owner of a hip, upscale restaurant. Meanwhile, Mike (Tim Allen) and Vanessa (Nancy Travis) wonder if Mandy's college choice, a party school in California, is right for her; and Eve (Kaitlyn Dever) gets help with her Junior ROTC competition from neighbor Chuck Larabee (guest star Jonathan Adams).
It's another good episode for this series. The big draw of the episode is Jonathan Taylor Thomas guest starring and reuniting with his TV dad Tim Allen from Home Improvement. It's also the season finale and while Thomas doesn't have many scenes, the ones he has stand-out. Mandy has been accepted to an expensive college Laguna Beach, but Mike & Vanessa think she is a better fit for UC-Denver since it would save them $200,000. She obviously wants to know to Laguna Beach University, but what will that mean for her and Kyle? All I'll say is Kyle's hilarious one-liners continue. He's do dumb but lovable. In another storyline, Kristin and Ryan go on a date at an expensive restaurant (that Ryan can't afford). All of a sudden Kristin's former co-worker Jon Baker pops-up (literally!)...and he is now the owner a restaurant, the one they are dining at! They get a free meal out of it and Kristin begins to ponder that she needs to move on with her life...which means she wants to now move out of her parents house, but not move in with Ryan. In a sub-plot, Eve and next-door neighbor Mr. Larabee practice for a ROTC competition, while this doesn't have much time as the other two storylines, it still brings the funny.
The reunion between Tim Allen and Jonathan Taylor Thomas has a great scene towards the end of the episode. There are some great Home Improvement references, including "more power" and Tim's roar. Tim's character Mike is involved in all of the story-lines including the really small plot of Boyd pranking everyone. When Mike is involved in all storylines in an episode, you know it is a strong episode. Even Mr. Larabee gets involved a bit in the Kristin-Ryan storyline. It's a great season finale and felt like a season finale. Kristin has some announcements at the end of the episode (will Jon Baker be involved?) and I can't wait to see what happens next season! We also get a resolution for Mandy's college decision, either way, it'll be interesting to see her live the college life next season whether it's at LBU or UC-D. Great episode and a great season (especially the second half). B+
On the next...Malibu Country:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Reba airs Friday nights at 8:30pm and we have just watched the season finale of this sitcom as well that airs tonight (March 22). Is Reba headed into the dating world? In the season finale episode airing tonight, "All You Single Ladies," Reba's (Reba McEntire) family secretly makes an online date on her behalf, but her first meeting with Brad (guest star Stacy Keach, Mike Hammer, Private Eye) doesn't exactly go as planned. Nonetheless, Reba finds herself appreciating the experience and admits that she might finally be ready to tackle the dating scene.
Reba is heading back to the dating world, but will it work out? On the season finale, she is not looking to date again (instead she wants to stay home and do a puzzle) but her family (lead by her mom Lillie Mae and friend Kim) realizes that she needs to go on a date, especially after the mail guy flirts with her. They then create a profile for her on the online dating website "Find That Mate." However, the picture they used was from 10 years ago and used an app called Photox to "enhance" it. They also already accepted a date on behalf of her with this guy named Brad. When Reba meets Brad for coffee the next day, we get a hilarious surprise ("Jurassic Brad!"). I'll say they don't really hit it off, but Lilly Mae was at the coffee place as Reba's "wing woman" and something will happen. Even more hilarious! In other storylines, Cash also tries to get in on the online dating game, as June helps him set-up his profile, but he wants to look older because he wants a college girl. Like Reba's encounter, the girl she meets is not who he expected! Also, June is celebrating her 19th day anniversary with Sage. But there is not much at all on that.
This is a good episode, but just didn't feel like a season finale to me. That's not a bad thing, but just pointing that out. Brad said that Reba wasn't fun, so Reba tries to prove that she is by going on a trapeze and the episode ends as a success for Reba. Without giving it away, it looks like next season we will have more of this. She certainly abandoned her fears and took some risks! Good ending and I hope we get to see more next season. I think it will be back. Solid Friday show and throwback to TGIF style shows. B-
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 25-29, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 25, 2013
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Watch Ray on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Scott Baio (See Dad Run/Charles in Charge/Happy Days) - Scott meets three fans on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Anson Williams (Happy Days) - Anson reminisces with Marie on the long-running show and reveals his latest entrepreneurial ventures as an inventor on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Todd Bridges (Diff'rent Strokes) - Todd appears on Katie, so check your local listings.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Catch Jeremy on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Sarah Chalke (How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)/Scrubs/Roseanne) - Sarah visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) - Miley is a guest on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena appears on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Jerry Trainor (Wendell & Vinnie/Drake & Josh/iCarly) - Jerry stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Courteney Cox (Cougar Town/Friends) - Tune in to see Courteney on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Brandy Norwood (Moesha), Lauren London and Jay Ellis (The Game) - Brandy, Lauren and Jay dish about the new season of The Game on The Wendy Williams Show at 1am on BET or on your local stations. The show repeats on Friday.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Watch Mr. Warmth on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Seth Green (Greg the Bunny/Four Kings) - Seth appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Watch Betty on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy continues to make the rounds on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Julie White (Go On/Grace Under Fire) - Julie reveals what it was like working with beloved stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field and Steven Spielberg on the set of Oscar® nominated film Lincoln on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Benjamin Stockham (1600 Penn/Sons of Tucson) - Benjamin talks to Marie about working on 1600 Penn on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy guest co-hosts Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena appears on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 25
The Middle - "Trip and Fall" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Trashy neighbor Rita Glossner (Brooke Shields) talks an apprehensive Frankie into taking a road trip to an unknown destination; Mike takes an embarrassing fall at the quarry and has to deal with even more embarrassment when OSHA is called in to investigate; and Sue attempts to convince Axl to end his estrangement with the family after learning their true feelings about April.
American Housewife - "The Otto Motto" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Taylor keeps quitting school activities, Greg says that Katie, quite the quitter herself, sets a poor example. He challenges her to finally learn French after quitting lessons so long ago, so she reluctantly enrolls in a college class.
Speechless - "S-I-- SICK D-A-- DAY" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Maya gets sick, Jimmy is forced to be the mom of the house, and Dylan becomes Kenneth’s replacement for JJ when Kenneth also gets sick. Jimmy ends up doing well with Maya’s normal duties, but he tries to keep it from her to avoid her feeling bad. Meanwhile, JJ protects Dylan from a boy she’s interested in. And despite its illness, the family bands together and pulls an all-nighter to finish Ray’s school project.
Imaginary Mary - "In a World Where Worlds Collide" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Alice freaks out when her friends want to meet Ben. But when an outing with everyone goes surprisingly well, Alice wants to meet Ben’s friends. However, Ben is hesitant but devises a plan that will impress Alice; but later, he makes a surprising admission.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Last Ride" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
In what could be their last case as partners, Jake and Charles go to great extremes to apprehend a local bike thief. Terry shockingly isn’t in the lead for “Mr. Nine-Nine” (the detective who has solved the most cases), leaving Rosa determined to boost his ego. Meanwhile, Amy spends some precious time with Holt.
The Mick - "The Implant" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Sabrina tells Mickey she wants to augment her figure, so Mickey decides the best way to dissuade her from doing so is to do a test-run in public. Meanwhile, Jimmy takes Chip and Ben to a baseball game to teach them how to be more masculine.
Great News - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan), a frustrated cable news producer, is horrified when her mom, Carol (Andrea Martin), gets an internship at "The Breakdown." Despite Katie's best efforts, Carol is instantly beloved by the entire office, including blowhard veteran anchor Chuck (John Michael Higgins). But when Katie hits a roadblock while producing a big story, she realizes that maybe having a mom at work isn't such a bad thing.
Great News - "Bear Attack" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) tries to set workplace boundaries with Carol (Andrea Martin), but when a big story about an escaped bear lands in her lap, her mom can't help but meddle. Meanwhile, Greg (Adam Campbell) tries to get Chuck (John Michael Higgins) and Portia (Nicole Richie) to do a little friendly banter at the end of the show.
The Detour - "The Mule" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Robin and Nate live out their action movie fantasies as they make their way to the kids, who are actually doing fine without them.
The Detour - "The Ass" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
The family reunites, but this time Robin makes a huge mistake.
Tuesday, April 25
- Amanda Peet (Brockmire/Togetherness/Bent) - Catch Amanda on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. She also appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Sanaa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Reid Scott (Veep/My Boys) - Reid visits Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Arden Myrin (Working) - Arden appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andrea Martin (Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Andrea Martin (Great News/Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea talks about Good News on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason talks about The Detour on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally) - Ross opens up about his new movie My Friend Dahmer on People Now at 8:30am.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Peter Engel (Producer of Saved by the Bell/California Dreams/Hang Time) - Peter dishes about his new memoir I Was Saved by the Bell on the The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Danny appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.