Friday, March 22, 2013
Episodic Reviews: Last Man Standing - "College Girl" and Malibu Country - "All You Single Ladies" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 25, 2013)
On the next...Last Man Standing:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Tim Allen airs Friday nights at 8:00pm and we have just watched the season finale that airs tonight (March 22). Jonathan Taylor Thomas makes a special guest star appearance when he reunites with Tim Allen, his dad from Home Improvement. In the season finale episode airing tonight, "College Girl," when the less-than-studious Mandy (Molly Ephraim) gets accepted to not one but two colleges, Kristin (Amanda Fuller) realizes it's time to reevaluate where she is in her life. While out on a special date with Ryan (Jordan Masterson), she is pleasantly surprised to see Jon (special guest Jonathan Taylor Thomas), a former co-worker from the diner where she still works, who is now the successful owner of a hip, upscale restaurant. Meanwhile, Mike (Tim Allen) and Vanessa (Nancy Travis) wonder if Mandy's college choice, a party school in California, is right for her; and Eve (Kaitlyn Dever) gets help with her Junior ROTC competition from neighbor Chuck Larabee (guest star Jonathan Adams).
It's another good episode for this series. The big draw of the episode is Jonathan Taylor Thomas guest starring and reuniting with his TV dad Tim Allen from Home Improvement. It's also the season finale and while Thomas doesn't have many scenes, the ones he has stand-out. Mandy has been accepted to an expensive college Laguna Beach, but Mike & Vanessa think she is a better fit for UC-Denver since it would save them $200,000. She obviously wants to know to Laguna Beach University, but what will that mean for her and Kyle? All I'll say is Kyle's hilarious one-liners continue. He's do dumb but lovable. In another storyline, Kristin and Ryan go on a date at an expensive restaurant (that Ryan can't afford). All of a sudden Kristin's former co-worker Jon Baker pops-up (literally!)...and he is now the owner a restaurant, the one they are dining at! They get a free meal out of it and Kristin begins to ponder that she needs to move on with her life...which means she wants to now move out of her parents house, but not move in with Ryan. In a sub-plot, Eve and next-door neighbor Mr. Larabee practice for a ROTC competition, while this doesn't have much time as the other two storylines, it still brings the funny.
The reunion between Tim Allen and Jonathan Taylor Thomas has a great scene towards the end of the episode. There are some great Home Improvement references, including "more power" and Tim's roar. Tim's character Mike is involved in all of the story-lines including the really small plot of Boyd pranking everyone. When Mike is involved in all storylines in an episode, you know it is a strong episode. Even Mr. Larabee gets involved a bit in the Kristin-Ryan storyline. It's a great season finale and felt like a season finale. Kristin has some announcements at the end of the episode (will Jon Baker be involved?) and I can't wait to see what happens next season! We also get a resolution for Mandy's college decision, either way, it'll be interesting to see her live the college life next season whether it's at LBU or UC-D. Great episode and a great season (especially the second half). B+
On the next...Malibu Country:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Reba airs Friday nights at 8:30pm and we have just watched the season finale of this sitcom as well that airs tonight (March 22). Is Reba headed into the dating world? In the season finale episode airing tonight, "All You Single Ladies," Reba's (Reba McEntire) family secretly makes an online date on her behalf, but her first meeting with Brad (guest star Stacy Keach, Mike Hammer, Private Eye) doesn't exactly go as planned. Nonetheless, Reba finds herself appreciating the experience and admits that she might finally be ready to tackle the dating scene.
Reba is heading back to the dating world, but will it work out? On the season finale, she is not looking to date again (instead she wants to stay home and do a puzzle) but her family (lead by her mom Lillie Mae and friend Kim) realizes that she needs to go on a date, especially after the mail guy flirts with her. They then create a profile for her on the online dating website "Find That Mate." However, the picture they used was from 10 years ago and used an app called Photox to "enhance" it. They also already accepted a date on behalf of her with this guy named Brad. When Reba meets Brad for coffee the next day, we get a hilarious surprise ("Jurassic Brad!"). I'll say they don't really hit it off, but Lilly Mae was at the coffee place as Reba's "wing woman" and something will happen. Even more hilarious! In other storylines, Cash also tries to get in on the online dating game, as June helps him set-up his profile, but he wants to look older because he wants a college girl. Like Reba's encounter, the girl she meets is not who he expected! Also, June is celebrating her 19th day anniversary with Sage. But there is not much at all on that.
This is a good episode, but just didn't feel like a season finale to me. That's not a bad thing, but just pointing that out. Brad said that Reba wasn't fun, so Reba tries to prove that she is by going on a trapeze and the episode ends as a success for Reba. Without giving it away, it looks like next season we will have more of this. She certainly abandoned her fears and took some risks! Good ending and I hope we get to see more next season. I think it will be back. Solid Friday show and throwback to TGIF style shows. B-
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 25-29, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 25, 2013
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Watch Ray on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Scott Baio (See Dad Run/Charles in Charge/Happy Days) - Scott meets three fans on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Anson Williams (Happy Days) - Anson reminisces with Marie on the long-running show and reveals his latest entrepreneurial ventures as an inventor on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Todd Bridges (Diff'rent Strokes) - Todd appears on Katie, so check your local listings.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Catch Jeremy on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Sarah Chalke (How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)/Scrubs/Roseanne) - Sarah visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) - Miley is a guest on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena appears on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Jerry Trainor (Wendell & Vinnie/Drake & Josh/iCarly) - Jerry stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Courteney Cox (Cougar Town/Friends) - Tune in to see Courteney on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Brandy Norwood (Moesha), Lauren London and Jay Ellis (The Game) - Brandy, Lauren and Jay dish about the new season of The Game on The Wendy Williams Show at 1am on BET or on your local stations. The show repeats on Friday.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Watch Mr. Warmth on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Seth Green (Greg the Bunny/Four Kings) - Seth appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Watch Betty on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy continues to make the rounds on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Julie White (Go On/Grace Under Fire) - Julie reveals what it was like working with beloved stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field and Steven Spielberg on the set of Oscar® nominated film Lincoln on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Benjamin Stockham (1600 Penn/Sons of Tucson) - Benjamin talks to Marie about working on 1600 Penn on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy guest co-hosts Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena appears on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.