Friday, March 01, 2013
Episodic Review: Last Man Standing - "Breaking Curfew" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 4, 2013)
On the next...Last Man Standing:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Tim Allen airs Friday nights at 8:00pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (March 1). Check out how Tim handles two of his daughters with new relationships tonight! In the episode airing tonight, "Breaking Curfew," when Mike (Tim Allen) catches Mandy (Molly Ephraim) sneaking into the house late one night after being out with Kyle (Christoph Sanders), he wages his own form of psychological warfare on the couple to prevent it from happening again. Meanwhile, Kristin (Amanda Fuller) wants to hide the truth from her son Boyd (Flynn Morrison) that she and Ryan (Jordan Masterson) are now romantically dating.
This show got off to maybe a rocky start this season (probably because of some cast changes and the political themed episodes), but the show has been back on track the last 5-7 episodes and maybe better than ever. It's now the only real true traditional (aka multi-camera) family sitcom on network TV (lead-out Malibu Country is probably one, but I think this is more traditional and deals more with the family) and it is a good one. This episode deals with the budding relationship now between Mandy and Kyle, which developed in the previous episode. It's full of twists and turns because Mandy breaks her curfew and sneaks back home in the middle of the night at 3am (and gets stuck in the kitchen window!). But was she with Kyle the whole time until 3am or not? Everyone's playing some kind of mind game and it's interesting (and funny). All in all, you can tell Mandy and Kyle are developing something special but will they take it to a physical level? You'll have to tune in. All we will say is that Tim Allen is the man and it's hilarious how he deals with all the mind games. His character is such a mastermind! The secondary story is about his older daughter Kristin and baby daddy Ryan getting back together, as we also saw in the previous episode. They are still hiding it from everyone, but only her mother Vanessa knows and she tries to cover for Kristin so Mike doesn't find out. But does Mike know already? Kristin and Ryan are also keeping their new romance a secret from their son Boyd, who by the way is awesome and so fun to watch. The only thing really missing from this episode was more of Eve. Kaitlyn Dever has really shined this season as that character and is hilarious. The Baxters are a fun family to watch and this episode is very well done and reminds me of former ABC sitcom 8 Simple Rules. With Tim Allen very similar to John Ritter and Nancy Travis similar to Katey Sagal. I've also said before that Molly Ephraim reminds me so much of Kaley Cuoco's character from that sitcom and she is so good. It's great fun tonight and if you bailed earlier in the season, you need to come back into the Baxter home. B+
Last Man Standing has a good chance of returning for a third season, so I don't think fans have to worry. It does solid ratings on Fridays and is usually first or second place in its time period in the ratings. It's a broad appealing comedy and works well on Friday nights. This season has 18 episodes and we are nearing the season finale on March 22, so catch-up quickly if you haven't seen it this season. This episode airing tonight should get everyone on board or back on board. It's turned into quite a good family ensemble and the secret weapon of the show is Hector Elizondo as Mr. Alzate, Mike's boss at Outdoor Man. He always delivers! Tune in tonight!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 4-8, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 4, 2013
- Jenna Elfman (1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Watch Jenna on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Seth MacFarlance (Family Guy/American Dad!/The Cleveland Show) - Seth is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) - Ellie drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Rico Rodriguez (Modern Family) - Rico visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Maria Canals-Barrera (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Maria talks about what it was like playing Selena Gomez's mom and cooks a delicious Cuban dish on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Catch Jennifer on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jenna Elfman (1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Tina appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Gillian Jacobs (Community) - Gillian stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Willie Garson (Sex and the City/Ask Harriet) - Willie joins Marie to talk about his life as a single father to his adopted son and reflects back on his time working with the Sex and the City girls on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Watch Melissa on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ricky Schroder (Silver Spoons) - Ricky appears on Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Catch Jennifer on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach continues to make the rounds on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Alison Brie (Community) - Alison drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (Rules of Engagement/Reno 911) - Wendi is a guest on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Ricky Schroder (Silver Spoons) - Ricky previews his new film, Hallmark Channel's Our Wild Hearts, on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. He also talks about what it was like working with his family on the film on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Tune in to see Lily on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Watch Adrian on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Anthony Anderson (Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran guest co-hosts Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 20
Kevin Can Wait - "Neighborhood Watch" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Donna’s cousin, Irene (Claire Coffee), comes to visit with her chatty husband, Stuart (Alexander Chaplin), Kevin concocts an elaborate plan to avoid spending time with them by forming a neighborhood watch group with his buddies, including his neighbor, Rootger (Bas Rutten).
Man with a Plan - "Kate's First Date" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Kate is asked out on her first date, Adam can’t curb his overprotective ways. Also, Don enlists Lowell’s help to buy the perfect anniversary gift for Marcy.
Superior Donuts - "Trust Me" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Arthur is reluctant to let Franco make the shop’s bank deposit, Franco accuses his boss of not trusting him. Also, James regrets confiding in Randy after she shares an embarrassing secret about him with other cops at the station.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Jessica Shmessica" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Bobby (Christopher Gorham) invites Caroline to a party to meet his family, she is eager to make a good impression but isn’t prepared for the torch that his mother and sisters still carry for Bobby’s ex-girlfriend. Also, Caroline’s nerves are even more frayed when the diner gang decides to tag along. Guest stars include Nora Dunn as Bobby’s mother, Teresa, and Kerri Kenney-Silver as his sister, Denise.
Monday, February 20
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Watch Jason on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show/A Minute with Stan Hooper) - Norm is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Keke Palmer (Scream Queens/True Jackson, VP) - Keke appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Mike Farrell, Loretta Swit and Jamie Farr (M*A*S*H) - Mike, Loretta and Jamie are guests on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Anne-Marie Johnson (What's Happening Now!!) - Anne-Marie discusses diversity at the Oscars on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Regina Hall (Grandfathered) - Regina appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Louie Anderson (Baskets/The Louie Show/Life with Louie) - Louie is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.