Friday, March 01, 2013
Episodic Review: Last Man Standing - "Breaking Curfew" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 4, 2013)
On the next...Last Man Standing:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Tim Allen airs Friday nights at 8:00pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (March 1). Check out how Tim handles two of his daughters with new relationships tonight! In the episode airing tonight, "Breaking Curfew," when Mike (Tim Allen) catches Mandy (Molly Ephraim) sneaking into the house late one night after being out with Kyle (Christoph Sanders), he wages his own form of psychological warfare on the couple to prevent it from happening again. Meanwhile, Kristin (Amanda Fuller) wants to hide the truth from her son Boyd (Flynn Morrison) that she and Ryan (Jordan Masterson) are now romantically dating.
This show got off to maybe a rocky start this season (probably because of some cast changes and the political themed episodes), but the show has been back on track the last 5-7 episodes and maybe better than ever. It's now the only real true traditional (aka multi-camera) family sitcom on network TV (lead-out Malibu Country is probably one, but I think this is more traditional and deals more with the family) and it is a good one. This episode deals with the budding relationship now between Mandy and Kyle, which developed in the previous episode. It's full of twists and turns because Mandy breaks her curfew and sneaks back home in the middle of the night at 3am (and gets stuck in the kitchen window!). But was she with Kyle the whole time until 3am or not? Everyone's playing some kind of mind game and it's interesting (and funny). All in all, you can tell Mandy and Kyle are developing something special but will they take it to a physical level? You'll have to tune in. All we will say is that Tim Allen is the man and it's hilarious how he deals with all the mind games. His character is such a mastermind! The secondary story is about his older daughter Kristin and baby daddy Ryan getting back together, as we also saw in the previous episode. They are still hiding it from everyone, but only her mother Vanessa knows and she tries to cover for Kristin so Mike doesn't find out. But does Mike know already? Kristin and Ryan are also keeping their new romance a secret from their son Boyd, who by the way is awesome and so fun to watch. The only thing really missing from this episode was more of Eve. Kaitlyn Dever has really shined this season as that character and is hilarious. The Baxters are a fun family to watch and this episode is very well done and reminds me of former ABC sitcom 8 Simple Rules. With Tim Allen very similar to John Ritter and Nancy Travis similar to Katey Sagal. I've also said before that Molly Ephraim reminds me so much of Kaley Cuoco's character from that sitcom and she is so good. It's great fun tonight and if you bailed earlier in the season, you need to come back into the Baxter home. B+
Last Man Standing has a good chance of returning for a third season, so I don't think fans have to worry. It does solid ratings on Fridays and is usually first or second place in its time period in the ratings. It's a broad appealing comedy and works well on Friday nights. This season has 18 episodes and we are nearing the season finale on March 22, so catch-up quickly if you haven't seen it this season. This episode airing tonight should get everyone on board or back on board. It's turned into quite a good family ensemble and the secret weapon of the show is Hector Elizondo as Mr. Alzate, Mike's boss at Outdoor Man. He always delivers! Tune in tonight!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 4-8, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 4, 2013
- Jenna Elfman (1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Watch Jenna on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Seth MacFarlance (Family Guy/American Dad!/The Cleveland Show) - Seth is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) - Ellie drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Rico Rodriguez (Modern Family) - Rico visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Maria Canals-Barrera (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Maria talks about what it was like playing Selena Gomez's mom and cooks a delicious Cuban dish on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Catch Jennifer on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jenna Elfman (1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Tina appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Gillian Jacobs (Community) - Gillian stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Willie Garson (Sex and the City/Ask Harriet) - Willie joins Marie to talk about his life as a single father to his adopted son and reflects back on his time working with the Sex and the City girls on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Watch Melissa on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ricky Schroder (Silver Spoons) - Ricky appears on Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Catch Jennifer on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach continues to make the rounds on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Alison Brie (Community) - Alison drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (Rules of Engagement/Reno 911) - Wendi is a guest on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Ricky Schroder (Silver Spoons) - Ricky previews his new film, Hallmark Channel's Our Wild Hearts, on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. He also talks about what it was like working with his family on the film on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Tune in to see Lily on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Watch Adrian on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Anthony Anderson (Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran guest co-hosts Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.