Friday, March 01, 2013
Episodic Review: Last Man Standing - "Breaking Curfew" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 4, 2013)
On the next...Last Man Standing:
ABC's Friday night sitcom starring Tim Allen airs Friday nights at 8:00pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (March 1). Check out how Tim handles two of his daughters with new relationships tonight! In the episode airing tonight, "Breaking Curfew," when Mike (Tim Allen) catches Mandy (Molly Ephraim) sneaking into the house late one night after being out with Kyle (Christoph Sanders), he wages his own form of psychological warfare on the couple to prevent it from happening again. Meanwhile, Kristin (Amanda Fuller) wants to hide the truth from her son Boyd (Flynn Morrison) that she and Ryan (Jordan Masterson) are now romantically dating.
This show got off to maybe a rocky start this season (probably because of some cast changes and the political themed episodes), but the show has been back on track the last 5-7 episodes and maybe better than ever. It's now the only real true traditional (aka multi-camera) family sitcom on network TV (lead-out Malibu Country is probably one, but I think this is more traditional and deals more with the family) and it is a good one. This episode deals with the budding relationship now between Mandy and Kyle, which developed in the previous episode. It's full of twists and turns because Mandy breaks her curfew and sneaks back home in the middle of the night at 3am (and gets stuck in the kitchen window!). But was she with Kyle the whole time until 3am or not? Everyone's playing some kind of mind game and it's interesting (and funny). All in all, you can tell Mandy and Kyle are developing something special but will they take it to a physical level? You'll have to tune in. All we will say is that Tim Allen is the man and it's hilarious how he deals with all the mind games. His character is such a mastermind! The secondary story is about his older daughter Kristin and baby daddy Ryan getting back together, as we also saw in the previous episode. They are still hiding it from everyone, but only her mother Vanessa knows and she tries to cover for Kristin so Mike doesn't find out. But does Mike know already? Kristin and Ryan are also keeping their new romance a secret from their son Boyd, who by the way is awesome and so fun to watch. The only thing really missing from this episode was more of Eve. Kaitlyn Dever has really shined this season as that character and is hilarious. The Baxters are a fun family to watch and this episode is very well done and reminds me of former ABC sitcom 8 Simple Rules. With Tim Allen very similar to John Ritter and Nancy Travis similar to Katey Sagal. I've also said before that Molly Ephraim reminds me so much of Kaley Cuoco's character from that sitcom and she is so good. It's great fun tonight and if you bailed earlier in the season, you need to come back into the Baxter home. B+
Last Man Standing has a good chance of returning for a third season, so I don't think fans have to worry. It does solid ratings on Fridays and is usually first or second place in its time period in the ratings. It's a broad appealing comedy and works well on Friday nights. This season has 18 episodes and we are nearing the season finale on March 22, so catch-up quickly if you haven't seen it this season. This episode airing tonight should get everyone on board or back on board. It's turned into quite a good family ensemble and the secret weapon of the show is Hector Elizondo as Mr. Alzate, Mike's boss at Outdoor Man. He always delivers! Tune in tonight!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 4-8, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 4, 2013
- Jenna Elfman (1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Watch Jenna on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Seth MacFarlance (Family Guy/American Dad!/The Cleveland Show) - Seth is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) - Ellie drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Rico Rodriguez (Modern Family) - Rico visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Maria Canals-Barrera (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Maria talks about what it was like playing Selena Gomez's mom and cooks a delicious Cuban dish on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Catch Jennifer on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jenna Elfman (1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Tina appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Gillian Jacobs (Community) - Gillian stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Willie Garson (Sex and the City/Ask Harriet) - Willie joins Marie to talk about his life as a single father to his adopted son and reflects back on his time working with the Sex and the City girls on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Watch Melissa on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ricky Schroder (Silver Spoons) - Ricky appears on Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Catch Jennifer on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach continues to make the rounds on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Alison Brie (Community) - Alison drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (Rules of Engagement/Reno 911) - Wendi is a guest on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Ricky Schroder (Silver Spoons) - Ricky previews his new film, Hallmark Channel's Our Wild Hearts, on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. He also talks about what it was like working with his family on the film on Marie at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Tune in to see Lily on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Watch Adrian on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Anthony Anderson (Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran guest co-hosts Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, April 30
Bob's Burgers - "Like Gene for Chocolate" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Gene learns that the formula for his favorite chocolate has changed, he works with the head of the company in an attempt to remedy the situation. Meanwhile, Bob gets wrapped up in one of Teddy’s less-than-perfect plans.
Bob's Burgers - "Thelma & Louise Except Thelma Is Linda" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
After Louise gets in trouble at school, Linda is forced to meet with Mr. Frond (guest voice David Herman) and potentially could lose her hard-earned position as the Wagstaff bake sale leader. When she finds out that her daughter was actually trying to help another student, Linda is torn between following school policy or her own moral code.
The Simpsons - "Looking for Mr. Goodbart" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bart gets in trouble on Grandparents Day at school and is forced to hang out with Skinner’s mother as punishment. After spending time with various grandmas in the neighborhood, he learns the benefits of hanging out with the elderly, but eventually recognizes the dangers of taking advantage of them. Meanwhile, Peekimon Get has taken over the town of Springfield.
Making History - "Night Cream" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the ever-present threat of losing tenure looming over him, Chris reaches out to John Hancock and Samuel Adams to help spice things up in the classroom in 2017. Meanwhile, Deb's dream of re-opening Chadwick's ice cream parlor is finally coming to fruition, but Dan has a few marketing ideas of his own.
Family Guy - "The Peter Principal" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Peter becomes the temporary principal at the high school, and Meg uses his new power to get even with her bullies. Meanwhile, Brian and Stewie open a bed & breakfast that quickly turns into a brothel.
The Last Man on Earth - "The Big Day" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Tandy and Gail face off in a major disagreement, on which the whole group must weigh in, and Carol is forced to choose a side. Meanwhile, Melissa, Todd and Erica each have major milestone moments.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Jodie Sweetin (Hollywood Darlings/Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.