Sunday, June 10, 2012
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of May 28-June 3)
- The Simpsons (Fox) - A repeat at 8 did 2.93 million and a 1.3 18-49 rating.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - A repeat at 7:30 just did 1.9 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - A repeat at 8:30 did 2.61 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating. Not bad retention, but I think this is the weak link of the block.
- Family Guy (Fox) - A summer repeat at 9 did solid for summer with 3.75 million and a more impressive 1.8 18-49 rating.
- American Dad! (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat followed at 9:30 doing 3.34 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating for second best of the block. A repeat earlier in the night at 7 did just 1.84 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 4.09 million and a 1.3 18-49 rating, up two tenths from previous week when it was Memorial Day though.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) - A repeat of this comedy did 4.43 million and a 1.3 18-49 rating, also up two tenths from previous week. Could be better, especially for an upcoming anchor.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - A repeat did 6.56 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating, up two tenths from previous week's repeat on Memorial Day.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.92 million and a 1.3 18-49 rating for a repeat was up a tenth from previous week. Not bad.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) 2 airings - Two repeats aired, first at 8 a repeat did 3.21 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating. A 8:30 repeat followed with 2.97 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating. Below normal, but this show hasn't been on since its season finale a few weeks back.
- New Girl (Fox) - Repeats return in August but on Thursdays.
- The Middle (ABC) - A repeat at 8 did 3.9 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, off two tenths from previous week's first repeat of the summer.
- Suburgatory (ABC) - A repeat at 8:30 posted 3.31 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating, down three tenths week-to-week. Could be better.
- Up All Night (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30 did just 2.58 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating.
- Modern Family (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat did 4.28 million and a 1.4 rating, off a tenth from previous week. This is below normal. A second repeat at 10:30pm did 2.14 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, down three tenths from previous week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - A repeat at 9:30pm posted 2.89 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating, but on par with previous week. Good!
- Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 (ABC) - A repeat at 10 did 2.4 million and a 0.9 18-49 rating, but down two tenths from previous week.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat at 8 did 8.22 million and a 2.2 18-49 rating, down a tenth from the previous week. Nice. Should stay above a 2 all summer.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) - A repeat did 6.13 million and a 1.7 18-49 rating, down a tenth from previous week's Rules of Engagement airing.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- 30 Rock (NBC) - preempted
- The Office (NBC) - A repeat at 8 did just 2.01 million and a 0.6 18-49 rating, down two tenths week-to-week.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30 did only 1.71 million and a 0.6 18-49 rating. Eeck!
- Whitney (NBC) - A repeat at 8pm did a prelim 2.72 million and a prelim 0.7 18-49 rating, up just a tenth from previous week's BFF burn-off prelim ratings.
- Community (NBC) - A repeat of this did no better with a prelim 1.87 million and a prelim 0.5 18-49 rating, but this was down a tenth from previous week's BFF prelim ratings.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - A Saturday repeat at 8 did just a prelim 2.03 million and a prelim 0.5 18-49 rating, on par with previous week's prelim ratings.
- How to Be a Gentleman (CBS) - A new burn-off episode at 8:30 did a prelim 1.63 million and a prelim 0.4 18-49 rating, also on par with previous week's prelim ratings. But terrible!
Summing it up. Repeats of The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls Thurs were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of Modern Family, Two and a Half Men) or just plain old terrible (such as repeats of The Office, Parks & Recreation, Community).
Feeling the repeat blues? Look for original sitcoms on cable this summer, with ABC Family's sophomore season of Melissa & Joey with back-to-back all-new episode at 8 and 8:30pm. What an underrated family comedy it is. New comedy Baby Daddy starring Chelsea Kane will air at 8:30pm starting next week, June 20! We've seen two episodes and it is pretty funny, so tune in! TBS airs Men at Work Thursdays at 10pm, with Sullivan & Son coming in late July. Also premiering next Wednesday, June 20 is TV Land's Hot in Cleveland spin-off series The Soul Man starring Cedric the Entertainer at 10pm followed by the season two premiere of The Exes at 10:30pm. TV Land will also air season two of Retired at 35 on Tuesdays starting June 26 at 10pm. FX and Charlie Sheen will come together in a new sitcom titled Anger Management airing Thursdays at 9pm starting June 28. Even on digital TV, Bounce TV will launch new comedy Family Time starring Omar Gooding on next Monday, June 18 at 8pm. All of these are multi-camera comedies, too! New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer blues!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.