Monday, June 18, 2012
Larry Sanders Coming to VH1 Classic, While CMT Gets Married on 4th of July; Remembering Yvette Wilson of Moesha and The Parkers
The Larry Sanders Show is coming to VH1 Classic this July! The very well written comedy starring Garry Shandling and Jeffrey Tambor will start airing on the cable network on July 1. The 1992-1998 HBO comedy will air Sun-Thurs at 11:30 p.m. leading into an hour of Married...with Children at midnight, which has done well it seems for the network. The Larry Sanders Show was last seen on IFC starting in January 2011, but it hasn't aired recently. The series is a comedic behind the scenes look at a late night talk show and won multiple Emmy Awards, including one for Rip Torn for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. Back to IFC, the only off-network series they air now are Malcolm in the Middle, The Three Stooges, Freaks and Geeks, Action and Arrested Development. Both Larry Sanders and Married...with Children are owned by Sony Pictures Television.
And speaking of Married...with Children, VH1 Classic's sister network CMT started airing the sitcom again in marathon blocks here and there. One aired last Tuesday in the daytime with some more to come, like next Friday (June 29) from 1:30pm-4pm and a 4th of July marathon on Wednesday, July 4 from 12pm-8pm. There is word some more sitcoms could be coming to CMT in the near future...what do you think they could be? Sound off on Twitter and Facebook! For now, enjoy Larry Sanders (on VH1 Classic) and Married...with Children (on VH1 Classic and CMT).
We have some sad news to report. Actress and comedian Yvette Wilson, best known for her role as Andell Wilkerson on the UPN sitcom Moesha and its spinoff The Parkers, has died. She died of cervical cancer on June 14. Ms. Wilson was only 48.
Wilson began her career as a stand-up comedian. She made a couple of appearances on In Living Color in 1992-1993 before she got her big break on the 1993-1994 ABC sitcom Thea. She played the character of Lynette, Thea's sister, in all 19 episodes. The short-lived show featured Brandy Norwood in her first regular television series role. Brandy and Yvette would later appear together again in Moesha. She played the supporting character of Andell Wilkerson on Moesha in 105 episodes over 4 seasons from 1996-2000. Her character owned The Den, a popular restaurant where Moesha and her friends hung out after school. After four seasons on the show, she left to appear on the spinoff series The Parkers. She played the same Andell Wilkerson character. This time she was the best friend of Mo'Nique's character Nikki Parker and owned a restaurant and bar named Andell's. She appeared in 101 episodes from 1999 until the show was cancelled in 2004. In 1997, she guest starred in an episode of The Jamie Foxx Show. She also appeared on HBO's Russell Simmons' Def Comedy Jam. Wilson's film credits included Poetic Justice, House Party 3, Friday, and Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.
As we previously mentioned, GMC (Gospel Music Channel) acquired Moesha in April. It can been seen Saturdays at 1-5pm (the times seem to vary, so check your listings). The Parkers airs weekdays on BET at 12-1pm and 5-6pm. They have previously scheduled marathons set for this Saturday (6/23) at 8am-5pm and Sunday (6/24) at 11am-2pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, April 29
Henry Danger - "Stuck in Two Holes" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Whaaaat?!? Captain Man and Kid Danger are each stuck in a hole?!? Charlotte and Jasper better go help, 'cuz Schwoz is takin' a bean bath!
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "I Want My Mae B. Back" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After Mae starts to spend more time with her new boyfriend, Dawn begins to get jealous so enlists Nicky, Ricky, and Dicky to help separate them so that she can have her friend back.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.