Monday, June 18, 2012
Larry Sanders Coming to VH1 Classic, While CMT Gets Married on 4th of July; Remembering Yvette Wilson of Moesha and The Parkers
The Larry Sanders Show is coming to VH1 Classic this July! The very well written comedy starring Garry Shandling and Jeffrey Tambor will start airing on the cable network on July 1. The 1992-1998 HBO comedy will air Sun-Thurs at 11:30 p.m. leading into an hour of Married...with Children at midnight, which has done well it seems for the network. The Larry Sanders Show was last seen on IFC starting in January 2011, but it hasn't aired recently. The series is a comedic behind the scenes look at a late night talk show and won multiple Emmy Awards, including one for Rip Torn for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. Back to IFC, the only off-network series they air now are Malcolm in the Middle, The Three Stooges, Freaks and Geeks, Action and Arrested Development. Both Larry Sanders and Married...with Children are owned by Sony Pictures Television.
And speaking of Married...with Children, VH1 Classic's sister network CMT started airing the sitcom again in marathon blocks here and there. One aired last Tuesday in the daytime with some more to come, like next Friday (June 29) from 1:30pm-4pm and a 4th of July marathon on Wednesday, July 4 from 12pm-8pm. There is word some more sitcoms could be coming to CMT in the near future...what do you think they could be? Sound off on Twitter and Facebook! For now, enjoy Larry Sanders (on VH1 Classic) and Married...with Children (on VH1 Classic and CMT).
We have some sad news to report. Actress and comedian Yvette Wilson, best known for her role as Andell Wilkerson on the UPN sitcom Moesha and its spinoff The Parkers, has died. She died of cervical cancer on June 14. Ms. Wilson was only 48.
Wilson began her career as a stand-up comedian. She made a couple of appearances on In Living Color in 1992-1993 before she got her big break on the 1993-1994 ABC sitcom Thea. She played the character of Lynette, Thea's sister, in all 19 episodes. The short-lived show featured Brandy Norwood in her first regular television series role. Brandy and Yvette would later appear together again in Moesha. She played the supporting character of Andell Wilkerson on Moesha in 105 episodes over 4 seasons from 1996-2000. Her character owned The Den, a popular restaurant where Moesha and her friends hung out after school. After four seasons on the show, she left to appear on the spinoff series The Parkers. She played the same Andell Wilkerson character. This time she was the best friend of Mo'Nique's character Nikki Parker and owned a restaurant and bar named Andell's. She appeared in 101 episodes from 1999 until the show was cancelled in 2004. In 1997, she guest starred in an episode of The Jamie Foxx Show. She also appeared on HBO's Russell Simmons' Def Comedy Jam. Wilson's film credits included Poetic Justice, House Party 3, Friday, and Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.
As we previously mentioned, GMC (Gospel Music Channel) acquired Moesha in April. It can been seen Saturdays at 1-5pm (the times seem to vary, so check your listings). The Parkers airs weekdays on BET at 12-1pm and 5-6pm. They have previously scheduled marathons set for this Saturday (6/23) at 8am-5pm and Sunday (6/24) at 11am-2pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.