Monday, June 18, 2012
Larry Sanders Coming to VH1 Classic, While CMT Gets Married on 4th of July; Remembering Yvette Wilson of Moesha and The Parkers
The Larry Sanders Show is coming to VH1 Classic this July! The very well written comedy starring Garry Shandling and Jeffrey Tambor will start airing on the cable network on July 1. The 1992-1998 HBO comedy will air Sun-Thurs at 11:30 p.m. leading into an hour of Married...with Children at midnight, which has done well it seems for the network. The Larry Sanders Show was last seen on IFC starting in January 2011, but it hasn't aired recently. The series is a comedic behind the scenes look at a late night talk show and won multiple Emmy Awards, including one for Rip Torn for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. Back to IFC, the only off-network series they air now are Malcolm in the Middle, The Three Stooges, Freaks and Geeks, Action and Arrested Development. Both Larry Sanders and Married...with Children are owned by Sony Pictures Television.
And speaking of Married...with Children, VH1 Classic's sister network CMT started airing the sitcom again in marathon blocks here and there. One aired last Tuesday in the daytime with some more to come, like next Friday (June 29) from 1:30pm-4pm and a 4th of July marathon on Wednesday, July 4 from 12pm-8pm. There is word some more sitcoms could be coming to CMT in the near future...what do you think they could be? Sound off on Twitter and Facebook! For now, enjoy Larry Sanders (on VH1 Classic) and Married...with Children (on VH1 Classic and CMT).
We have some sad news to report. Actress and comedian Yvette Wilson, best known for her role as Andell Wilkerson on the UPN sitcom Moesha and its spinoff The Parkers, has died. She died of cervical cancer on June 14. Ms. Wilson was only 48.
Wilson began her career as a stand-up comedian. She made a couple of appearances on In Living Color in 1992-1993 before she got her big break on the 1993-1994 ABC sitcom Thea. She played the character of Lynette, Thea's sister, in all 19 episodes. The short-lived show featured Brandy Norwood in her first regular television series role. Brandy and Yvette would later appear together again in Moesha. She played the supporting character of Andell Wilkerson on Moesha in 105 episodes over 4 seasons from 1996-2000. Her character owned The Den, a popular restaurant where Moesha and her friends hung out after school. After four seasons on the show, she left to appear on the spinoff series The Parkers. She played the same Andell Wilkerson character. This time she was the best friend of Mo'Nique's character Nikki Parker and owned a restaurant and bar named Andell's. She appeared in 101 episodes from 1999 until the show was cancelled in 2004. In 1997, she guest starred in an episode of The Jamie Foxx Show. She also appeared on HBO's Russell Simmons' Def Comedy Jam. Wilson's film credits included Poetic Justice, House Party 3, Friday, and Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.
As we previously mentioned, GMC (Gospel Music Channel) acquired Moesha in April. It can been seen Saturdays at 1-5pm (the times seem to vary, so check your listings). The Parkers airs weekdays on BET at 12-1pm and 5-6pm. They have previously scheduled marathons set for this Saturday (6/23) at 8am-5pm and Sunday (6/24) at 11am-2pm.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, February 25
The Thundermans - "Ditch Perfect" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Phoebe learns Max’s band plans to dump him, she suspects that his superhero training is hurting his friendships. Determined to help, she attempts to repair things with the band, but her good deeds quickly backfire.
Game Shakers - "Wedding Shower of Doom" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Dub’s brother shows up at Game Shakers and invites everyone except Dub to his wedding, the kids convince him to bring his brother into the fold, promising to make Dub behave himself at the event.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.