Sunday, September 11, 2011
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for Summer Week 14, week of Aug. 29-Sep. 4)
- American Dad! (Fox) - A repeat at 7pm did 1.8 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating. The regular 9:30pm was preempted by the new summer series In the Flow...which isn't doing much in the ratings.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - A repeat did just 1.62 million and a 0.7 18-49 rating, losing ratings from its lead-in actually.
- The Simpsons (Fox) - A repeat did 2.51 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating, which was on the low side thanks to Labor Day weekend.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - A repeat did 2.38 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating.
- Family Guy (Fox) - A repeat did 3.03 million and a 1.4 18-49 rating, which is below normal but it was Labor Day weekend.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) 2 airings - 3.59 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating for a repeat at 8pm was down some from the previous week, but it was Labor Day (I think it is worse airing on Fri-Sun because everyone is usually home by Monday night). A second repeat followed and delivered 3.84 million and a 1.4 18-49 rating, also off a bit from previous week.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 5.16 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating for a repeat at 9pm is on par week-to-week.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.18 million and a 1.4 18-49 rating for a repeat at 9:30pm was up some from the previous week. Proves that Labor Day night is not affected in the ratings.
- Raising Hope (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 2.12 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, on par with previous week. A repeat at 9:30pm only mustered 2.01 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, but once again on par with previous week and virtually held on to the 9pm numbers.
- The Middle (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8pm did 4.03 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, up a tenth from previous week. A second repeat followed with 4.67 million and grew nicely to a 1.5 18-49 rating. Good showing.
- Modern Family (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 4.92 million and a 2.0 18-49 rating, up some from the previous week and a good summer showing for sitcoms. A repeat at 9:30pm followed and did 4.4 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, on par with previous week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - preempted. ABC Family will air a marathon THIS Friday (Sept. 16) from 5-11pm, so if you missed any watch then before the new season starts on Sept. 28!
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat did 6.42 million and a 1.7 18-49 rating, which was up from the previous week's NFL pre-season preemptions in many markets.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - preempted.
- Community (NBC) - preempted for NFL kick-off game.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) - preempted for NFL kick-off game.
- The Office (NBC) - preempted for NFL kick-off game.
- 30 Rock (NBC) - preempted for NFL kick-off game.
Friends with Benefits (NBC) 2 episodes - Final ratings will tell us how it actually did but it did a prelim 0.8 18-49 rating for both half hours. This was the finale, so it will never be seen again.
- American Dad! (Fox) - prelim ratings show only 1.97 million and a prelim 0.8 18-49 rating.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - prelim ratings for this show were even lower with a prelim 1.75 million and a prelim 0.7 18-49 rating.
Summing it up. Repeats of Modern Family, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, The Middle 8:30pm, were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of How I Met Your Mother, The Middle 8pm) or just plain old terrible (such as Raising Hope, and Friends with Benefits). Feeling the repeat blues? NBC will air a sneak peek of new comedies Up All Night and Free Agents this Wednesday (Sept. 14) at 10/9 central. Look for our reviews of those in a few days! The season is upon us, as it starts a week from tomorrow (Sept. 19)! As for cable, Comedy Wednesday concludes on ABC Family this Wednesday with the one-hour Melissa & Joey season finale from 8-9pm! Also of course House of Payne and Meet the Browns are on TBS Wednesdays. New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer repeat blues! Watch them! And on premium cable, it is of course Curb Your Enthusiasm, Weeds, and Entourage among the entrees.
[Source: Nielsen NTI Ratings. View Travis Yanan's Ratings Website].
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, April 26
The Goldbergs - "Fonzie Scheme" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Murray is honored as one of Jenkintown’s top businessmen, his plaque is hung on a wall with all of the other honorees. And soon Beverly is dismayed to learn he has no discernable hobbies, and her attempts to help him find some backfire. Meanwhile, Barry creates a scheme stealing golf carts, but the situation goes awry and Erica comes to save the day.
Speechless - "R-U-N-- RUNAWAY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Maya learns JJ attempted to run away, she is determined to help him complete the task as any able-bodied person could, but her actions exasperate JJ, as he longs for independence. Meanwhile, Jimmy struggles to have hard talks with the kids without Maya, and Dylan tries to get Kenneth to revive his glory days as a high school sports star.
black-ish - "Sister, Sister" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bow’s sister comes to town after filming a stint on a reality show, and they couldn’t have less in common. Meanwhile, Zoey suggests that Dre spend more time with Junior since she’s leaving for college, and Jack and Diane decide to rebrand themselves.
black-ish - "All Groan Up" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Zoey gets into several colleges around the country, Dre and Bow begin to feel worried and sentimental. They reflect back on memories they’ve had with the family and wonder what life will be like without her around all the time. Pops enlists the twins to try and sway Zoey to go to college in a city they want to visit.
Nobodies - "Not the Emmys" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Award season! Larry, Rachel and Hugh are going to the Annies… while all their Groundlings friends are going to the Emmys.
Lopez - "No Country Club for Young Men" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
George gets Hector a job at his country club, but he falls in with a bad crowd of rich kids. Olly's little sister rolls back into town while Manolo struggles to stay focused in his GED class.
Hollywood Darlings - "Driving Miss Jodie" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jodie must choose between a sports car and a minivan; Christine's dream of participating in an exclusive yoga class is thwarted by a loud-breathing celebrity classmate.
Return of the Mac - "The Wrong Stuff" (Pop, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Feeling threatened by newly appointed sidekick Joey Fatone, Joe heads to a comedy club to hone his comedy monologue skills.
Wednesday, April 26
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris and the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Henry Zebrowski (A to Z) - Henry is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Molly Ringwald (Townies/The Facts of Life) - Molly stops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anna Chlumsky (Veep) - Anna stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri talks about the disease she won’t let destroy her on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your loclal listings.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity makes pecan bars on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.