Friday, September 17, 2010
CBS Fall Pilot Review: Mike & Molly - Premieres September 20; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 20, 2010)
Mike & Molly - Mondays 9:30PM ET/PT on CBS
Premieres Monday, September 20, 2010 at 9:30PM ET/PT
MIKE & MOLLY is a comedy about a working class Chicago couple who find love at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting. Officer Mike Briggs is a good-hearted cop who sincerely wants to lose weight. Mike's partner, Officer Carl McMilllan, is a thin, fast-talking wise-guy who, despite his teasing, encourages Mike on his road to slimness and romance. While speaking at an O.A. meeting, Mike meets Molly Flynn, an instantly likeable fourth-grade teacher with a good sense of humor about her curves. For Molly, focusing on smart clothes isn't easy while living with her sexy older sister, Victoria, and their mother, Joyce, both of who flaunt their effortless figures while indulging their healthy appetites right in front of her. Mike also faces temptation at the diner he and Carl frequent, where they've become friends with a Senegalese waiter, Samuel, to whom dieting is a foreign concept. Mike and Molly found each other in the most unexpected of places. Now, they're about to find out where their quest for companionship will take them.
* Billy Gardell as Officer Mike Briggs
* Melissa McCarthy as Molly Flynn
* Reno Wilson as Officer Carl McMillan
* Katy Mixon as Victoria Flynn
* Nyambi Nyambi as Samuel
* Swoosie Kurtz as Joyce Flynn
Billy Gardell (Officer Mike Briggs) co-starred in the critically acclaimed television series, Lucky. His other television credits include Yes, Dear and Judging Amy on CBS, My Name is Earl, The Practice, Monk and Gary the Rat.
He made his major motion picture debut alongside Anthony Quinn and Sylvester Stallone in Avenging Angelo, and had a memorable scene with Billy Bob Thornton in the Cohen Brother's film, Bad Santa. He also appeared in You, Me & Dupree.
Melissa McCarthy (Molly Flynn) is best known for her role as the clumsy culinary genius Sookie St. James in Gilmore Girls, and was most recently seen as Dena in the television series, Samantha Who? She also guest-starred on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
McCarthy will appear in the upcoming feature films The Nines, Just Add Water and Pretty Ugly People. Her additional feature film credits include White Oleander, Pumpkin, The Life of David Gale, Go and God. She recently turned her creative attentions to writing, directing, producing and starring in the short film Polk Valley.
Reno Wilson (Officer Carl McMillan) made his television debut as Theo's best friend, Howard, on the legendary television series, The Cosby Show. He has since starred and guest-starred in dozens of television series, including Heist, Blind Justice and the critically acclaimed Showtime series, The Hoop Life.
He can be seen in the upcoming feature film Bolden, in which he plays legendary jazz icon Louis Armstrong. Wilson's other movie credits include Mighty Joe Young, Rough Draft, Fallen and White Hype. He is also an accomplished voice-over artist who, most notably, gave voice to the Decepticon Frenzy in the blockbuster film Transformers, and later voiced the Autobot "Mudflap" in Transformers 2.
Katy Mixon's (Victoria Flynn) feature film credits include Four Christmases, State of Play, All About Steve, The Informers and the upcoming Drive Angry 3D.
Her television credits include My Name Is Earl, Eastbound and Down (for which she will reprise the role of April in its second season) and the recurring role of Betsy on Two and a Half Men on CBS.
This summer, Nyambi (Samuel) is participating in the New York City Public Theater's Shakespeare in the Park in The Merchant of Venice and The Winter's Tale with a cast that includes Al Pacino, Ruben Santiago-Hudson and Hamish Linklater. His other theater credits include the first Broadway revival of August Wilson's Joe Turner's Come and Gone, The Tempest opposite Mandy Patinkin for the Classic Stage Company, Coming Home at the Wilma Theater, and various productions with the Classical Theatre of Harlem (where he is a company member) and the Williamstown Theater Festival. He is also a LAByrinth Theatre Company member.
Nyambi has appeared on the television series, Law & Order. He was in the Cannes and Spirit Award-winning independent film, Day Night Day Night, as well as the upcoming In Praise of Shadows.
Swoosie Kurtz (Joyce Flynn) was most recently seen in the SHOWTIME television series, Nurse Jackie. Her extensive television work includes the series Pushing Daisies, Huff, Desperate Housewives, Heroes, Law & Order: SVU, Lost, ER, Sisters, Love, Sidney and the television movies And The Band Played On and Texas Cheerleading Murdering Mom.
Her feature film credits include Citizen Ruth, Liar, Liar, Dangerous Liaisons, Cruel Intentions, The Rules of Attraction, Bubble Boy, Reality Bites, The World According to Garp, Against All Odds and An Englishman in New York, which premiered at the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival.
#1 "Pilot" (Airs September 20)
When teacher Molly Flynn hears Officer Mike Biggs' "share" at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting, she's instantly smitten and invites him to come speak to her fourth grade class.
Directed by James Burrows
Written by Mark Roberts
Guest Stars: Brendan Patrick Connor as Group Leader, Zachary Balagot as Gary, Kiara Muhammad as Krystal, Tucker Albrizzi as Little Boy/Tucker, Kathy Nagler as Dispatcher (V.O.)
In the opening scene, we are introduced to Officer Mike Biggs and his partner Officer Cal McMillan at the diner they frequent where Samuel is the waiter. Molly is then introduced exercising on an elliptical trainer. Her mother and sister eat some cake in front of her. Molly and Victoria go to the Overeaters Anonymous meeting. Mike speaks at the meeting. Molly invites him to speak to her fourth grade class. Mike and Carl go to the Walter Payton Elementary School. Mike holds a questions and answer session with the kids where he explains why he became a police officer. Back at the diner, Mike tries to blow his diet, but Carl won't let him. Molly shares her story at the O.A. meeting. Mike tries to ask her out but suffers an injury to his hand after falling on a table. Carl and Mike receive a dispatch to a house that was robbed. It turns out to be Molly's house. Mike questions her about the stolen items and then asks her out. Note that the final scene from the Upfront version where Mike & Molly go on their first date was removed from this final cut. They will have their first date in the second episode.
This is a very strong and funny pilot. It's directed by the legendary James Burrows. He will be directing all of the episodes. This show has a lot going for it. There are some good and experienced actors here. I wasn't very familiar with some of the cast members before seeing the pilot. They may not be household names to some people. Billy Gardell and Reno Wilson had previously worked together as police partners in the short-lived 1996 TV series, Heist. It would seem like they have worked a lot longer than that by the way they exchange lines. Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy have some instant chemistry in the pilot. They just seem right together. It will be interesting to see how their romance and relationship develops in future episodes. The script is very solid and fast paced. Many different locations are used in a number of scenes. There are quite a few fat jokes in the pilot. I would expect that they will cut down on them in upcoming episodes. Chuck Lorre has said in articles that the show is not about weight. The show is set in Chicago. In some pilots, it's hard to tell where a show is set. They do a fine job establishing the show is set in Chicago with the exterior shots and references to actual locations. I also noticed Samuel wearing a Brian Urlacher Bears shirt. Hopefully they will continue to give the show a Chicago feel and have some local celebrities as guest stars. Chicago is my kind of town.
There are a few things that I didn't like about the pilot. Victoria is described as Molly's older sister in the show summary, but Katy Mixon is 29 while Melissa McCarthy is 40. I'm not sure if viewers will buy that age difference. I don't really find the Victoria character too appealing with the references to her getting high and using a water pipe, but perhaps she will grow on me in future episodes. Some people might find her character hilarious and to be a riot. Swoosie Kurtz is funny in her limited screen time. Hopefully they will expand her role a bit. It would be a shame if she is underutilized. Some additional recurring characters are probably needed. Cleo King has been cast as the grandmother of Mike, who is mentioned several times in the pilot. She will appear in seven out of the first 13 episodes. Chuck Lorre is known for tinkering with his shows to fix things that aren't working. He's a very involved executive producer.
Executive Producer Chuck Lorre has already brought CBS hit sitcoms with Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory. I don't think Mike & Molly will be an instant hit, but it should be able to gradually build an audience this season. It has a comfortable time slot after TV's most watched sitcom, Two and a Half Men, and before the action-packed Hawaii Five-O remake. I would not be surprised if it is the most watched new sitcom this season.
With the popularity of NBC's The Biggest Loser and ABC Family's Huge, the time seems right for a sitcom with two plus-sized lead actors. There have been many sitcoms in recent years with a fat husband and a thin wife, but I don't think there has been a sitcom like this since Roseanne. Many people should be able to relate to these real-looking people. Some people may be turned off by the number of fat jokes in the pilot episode, but I would expect them to tone it down a bit in future episodes. This show isn't about weight. It has a lot of heart and sweetness to it.
With a talented and likeable cast, good scripts and sitcom geniuses like Chuck Lorre and James Burrows behind it, Mike & Molly seems like it will be a good fit for CBS and should be set up to have a successful run. We definitely need more traditional multi-camera sitcoms like this one. Fall in love with Mike & Molly this fall on CBS!
Final Numbers (out of 5 stars):
-- Reviewed by Todd Fuller on 09/17/10
Discuss the show after you watch it on Monday, September 20 on our message board.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of Sept. 20-24, 2010, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, September 20, 2010
- Courteney Cox (Cougar Town/Dirt/Friends) - Catch Courteney on an all-new Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12:06am on ABC. Earlier in the day, you can catch her on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your listings.
- Mindy Kaling (The Office) - Catch another appearance by Mindy on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Catch Sofia on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am then on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check listings.
- Cloris Leachman (Raising Hope/Facts of Life/Phyllis) - Watch Cloris on Lopez Tonight on TBS at 11pm.
- Jason Ritter (The Class) - Catch Jason on NBC's Today show, sometime between 7-9am.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Catch Ed on an all-new Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Julie Bowen, Ty Burell, Eric Stonestreet, & Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family) - Catch four of the stars of the hit sitcom on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12:06am. Also, catch Jesse Tyler Ferguson on The Ellen DeGeneres Show earlier in the day.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Everybody Loves Raymond/Back to You) - Catch Patty on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Catch Tina on an all-new Late Night With Jimmy Fallon at 12:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Glenn Martin) - Watch Kevin on Lopez Tonight, at 11pm on TBS.
- Joey Lawrence (Melissa & Joey/Blossom/Gimme a Break!) - Watch Joey on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or check listings.
- Jim Belushi (According to Jim) - Catch Jim on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly so check your local stations.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/Golden Girls/Mary Tyler Moore Show) - The legendary Betty White is on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Cast of The Big Bang Theory - Watch them on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- Ben Rappaport (Outsourced) - Catch Ben on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:35am on ABC.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Catch Patty on The Rachel Ray Show, so check listings.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family) - He talks about his guest shot on Modern Family to the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Eric Roberts (Less than Perfect) - Watch Eric on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or check listings.
- Anthony Anderson (All About the Andersons/Bernie Mac/Hang Time) - Watch Anthony on Lopez Tonight at 11pm o TBS.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Catch Sofia on an all-new Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Amy Poehler (Parks & Recreation) - Catch Amy on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on NBC at 12:35am. Earlier in the day, you can catch her on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings.
- Rashida Jones (Parks &Recreation/The Office) - Watch Rashida also on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:35am on NBC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Watch Jerry on Larry King Live at 9pm on CNN.
- Cybill Shepherd (Cybill) - Watch Cybill on The Oprah Show, so check listings.
- Ben Rappaport (Outsourced) - Watch Ben on NBC's Today show sometime between 7-9am.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Tina is also on NBC's Today show on this day.
- Ken Jeong (Community) - Yet another star appearing on NBC's Today show on this day.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Catch Ed on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 1
The Good Place - "Pilot" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Thanks to some kind of error, Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), an ordinary woman, enters the afterlife and is sent to the Good Place -- which is definitely not where she belongs. While hiding in plain sight from Michael (Ted Danson), the wise architect of the Good Place who is unaware that he's made a mistake, she's determined to shed her old way of living and discover the awesome person within. Helping Eleanor navigate her new surroundings are Chidi (William Jackson Harper), her kind, open-hearted "soulmate" who sees the good in people but finds himself facing quite a dilemma; her frustratingly perfect new neighbors, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto); and Janet (D'Arcy Carden), a walking, talking source for all the knowledge in the universe.
The Good Place - "Flying" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) tries to prove to Chidi (William Jackson Harper) that she is worthy of his help. Meanwhile, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto) try to help Michael (Ted Danson) feel better about the unknown flaw in his Neighborhood.
The Good Place - "Tahani Al Jamil" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Chidi (William Jackson Harper) begins formally teaching Eleanor (Kristen Bell) about ethics, and lesson No. 1 is: be kind to your neighbor. Michael (Ted Danson) and Janet (D'Arcy Carden) help Chidi find a new, exciting hobby.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
Henry Danger - "Scream Machine" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Charlotte's invention for The Gizmo Show is accidentally destroyed and then rebuilt, Charlotte worries that the attention she gets could expose Kid Danger and Captain Man's secret identity.
Game Shakers - "The Very Old Finger" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Game Shakers visit a mummy exhibit to get ideas for a new game they're working on. Hudson accidentally snaps off one of its fingers. Babe leads a quest to glue it back on without getting caught.
School of Rock - "With or Without You" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Lawrence tries to prove his value to the group by taking over the production of their first recording, but his methods create a rift in the band. Guest Star: Brec Bassinger
Sunday, October 2
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Catch Mindy on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Watch Mindy on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) - Kumail appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) and Brendon Small (Home Movies) - Steve and Brendon are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Champs/Hiller and Diller) - Kevin stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kenan Thompson (Kenan & Kel) - Kenan drops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Chris Gethard (Broad City) - Chris chats about the play Career Suicide on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Abigail Spencer (Burning Love) - Abigail talks about Timeless on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 2pm. She is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Rob Riggle (Golan the Insatiable) - Rob talks about Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso talks how many America's Funniest Home Videos get submitted and the funny home videos he wants to submit with his family on People Now at 8:30am.
- Jennifer Esposito (Samantha Who?/Spin City) - Jennifer is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Sara Rue (Impastor/Less Than Perfect) - Sara appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jay Ellis (Insecure/The Game) - Jay is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.