Friday, September 03, 2010
Blog Book Review: With Love and Laughter, John Ritter (Sept. 7); Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 6, 2010)
See my Blog Book Review of With Love and Laughter, John Ritter:
With Love and Laughter, John Ritter - by Amy Yasbeck (Simon & Schuster, $26.00) was how John Ritter usually signed autographs and now it will be a hit book! In this wonderful, loving, funny and sad book, we get personal stories and details from life of John Ritter in the words of his wife, Amy Yasbeck. There are all kinds of very interesting and detailed stories in this book and the book has about 249 pages, but you breeze right through it because it is very well-written and so enduring. You can't put it down and I'm sure when you all get it, you'll see why. Amy does a very good job in the writing and picks the perfect stories. We get personal stories from both her life before John and with John. And of course we get stories from some of John's acting work. We all know he was the nicest guy and Amy proves that even more with her stories. The man was also very smart. John was of course funny, caring, nice and smart. You'll see all those qualities in these stories.
The book has twenty-six chapters, but of course there is no chapter thirteen. Amy hilariously notes that actors are superstitious, so chapter thirteen is a no-no! Ha that number thirteen is to be feared! There is also a seven-page pre-face before chapter 1. The book starts off with some background information on John's childhood life in chapter one and in chapter two we get info on Amy's childhood life in Ohio. The next chapter delves into John's early roles guest starring on shows like Kojak. Amy gives us a hilarious story from that role, when they caught a rerun of that episode in 1997. Chapter four is titled "Daddy No Beard." That is what his daughter Stella called him whenever she saw a rerun of Three's Company on Nick at Nite. Stella was used to the bearded John Ritter. Even Stella is funny! This chapter discusses Three's Company. The next chapter has Amy detailing her move to New York in 1983. I never knew about this story at all, so it was very fascinating. We get a taste of how Amy got into "the business."
Chapter six is titled "Icon Tact." Among the items discussed in this chapter are why John Ritter never hosted Saturday Night Live, despite being offered to host it. The next chapter we get more of Amy's early work and then in chapter eight is where Amy meets John on September 25, 1989 at Dennis Dugan's house. Dugan directed the feature film Problem Child, which starred both John and Amy. In Chapter nine, we move into the 1990's! The chapter starts off with John and Amy's guest appearance on The Cosby Show. We get so many behind-the-scenes stories here. The chapter also highlights stories from Hearts Afire, where John met his good buddy Billy Bob Thornton.
Without detailing every chapter, the best of the book has great stories like Amy on Wings, John working with Andy Griffith on the TV-movie Gramps (Amy also worked with Andy on Matlock), their summer trip in Italy & France in 1996, going to Elizabeth Taylor's house in 1997, more of John's TV movies like Last Man on the List & Holy Joe, the cool stories and treatment at World's Greatest Magic IV, the birth of Stella and why they named her Stella, the marriage, the play The Dinner Party with Henry Winkler, a hilarious recall on Henry & John's early 90s TV movie The Only Way Out, living in New York in 2000, Clifford the Big Red Dog, 8 Simple Rules and John's final day. There are also over 25 nice color photos in the middle of the book, from John & Amy in Venice, Hawaii, with Stella, and more!
The last few chapters talks about life after John, including the Ritter Rules, which are life-saving reminders to recognize, treat, and prevent thoracic aortic dissection. The John Ritter Foundation for Aortic Health is saving so many lives and is a great tribute to John Ritter. In the book, Amy also mentions in detail on how John's brother Tom was saved from an aortic dissection. This foundation is truly saving lives and will for many years to come! Chapter twenty-six is titled, "John But Not Forgotten," and he certainly will never be forgotten.
Fans of John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck will surely want to get this book. It is a great read and so interesting. I think fans of television/sitcoms in general will enjoy it. There are so many interesting behind-the-scenes stories that television fans will find cool. The book is out this coming Tuesday (Sept. 7), so I hope you have pre-ordered it? If not, please click the link below and pre-order today! This book needs to be in the top 10 best-sellers because it really deserves to be! Catch Amy Yasbeck promoting the book on the following programs/locations:
- Tuesday, September 7, 2010
KTTV-Fox, Los Angeles GOOD DAY L.A. 9:00AM
- Monday, September 13, 2010
NBC, DAILY CONNECTION 12:30PM
- Tuesday, September 14, 2010
NBC, TODAY Show 8:00AM
- Tuesday, September 14, 2010
ABC, THE VIEW 11:00AM ET/10:00AM CT/PT
- Tuesday, September 14, 2010
HLN, THE JOY BEHAR SHOW 9:00PM
- Thursday, September 16, 2010
PREMIERE RADIO NETWORK 8:00AM
- Thursday, September 16, 2010
SIRIUS XM Radio 11:30AM
- Saturday, September 18, 2010
BARNES & NOBLE 2:00PM
7800 Montgomery Rd in Cincinnati, OH
- Monday, September 20, 2010
Syndicated, RACHAEL RAY SHOW 10:00AM (WABC)
- Monday, September 20, 2010
Syndicated, BETTER TV (check local listings)
- Thursday, September 23, 2010
BARNES & NOBLE 7:00PM
189 The Grove Drive in Los Angeles, CA
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase this book, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of Sept. 6-10, 2010, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, September 6, 2010
- John Larroquette (Night Court/John Larroquette Show/Happy Family) - Catch John on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- The Cast of The Game - Watch the cast of the sitcom on this repeat of The Mo'nique Show on BET at 11pm!
- Chris Kattan (The Middle) - Catch Chris on an all-new Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell) - Watch Mario on a repeat of The Rachel Ray Show, so check your listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Kevin appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12:05am on ABC.
- Jerry O'Connell (Carpoolers) - Catch Jerry on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- Terry Crews (Are We There Yet?) - Watch funnyman Terry on a repeat of The Mo'nique Show on BET at 11pm!
- Donal Logue (Knights of Prosperity/Grounded for Life) - Catch Donal on an all-new Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12:05am on ABC.
- The Cast of The Brady Bunch - Catch some of the stars (Susan Olsen, Mike Lookinland, and Christopher Knight) reuniting for Lloyd Schwartz's book Brady, Brady Brady on Good Morning America on ABC sometime between 7-9am.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show so check your local listings.
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Catch the Emmy winner on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am! Dun dun...hey hey!
- Donald Glover (Community) - Watch Donald on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, at 12:35am on CBS!
- Katey Sagal (8 Simple Rules/Married...with Children/Tucker) - Catch Katey also on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS!
- Donal Logue (Knights of Prosperity/Grounded for Life) - Donal continues his rounds, this time on Tavis Smiley on PBS. Check your listings for time.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Catch Danny on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- John Corbett (United States of Tara) - Catch John on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your listings.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation/George Lopez) - Watch Nick on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. This show is always in repeats!
Leave us comments on our message board or Tweet/Facebook us to let us know what you think of this Friday feature! We do listen!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, December 4
The Simpsons - "The Last Traction Hero" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
A workplace accident leaves Homer in a cast, and in a position to sue Mr. Burns. This leaves Marge unfulfilled, so she turns to an unexpected source for romance. Meanwhile, Lisa is made “Bus Monitor” and tries to keep the peace.
Son of Zorn - "Return of the Drinking Buddy" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Zorn’s old friend Headbutt Man (guest voice Rob Riggle) is coming to town. Unfortunately for Zorn, Headbutt Man is now sober. Meanwhile, Alan is invited to a party where his crush, Nancy (guest star Emily Wong), will be. Unfortunately, he has to take Headbutt man’s daughter with him.
Family Guy - "Carter and Tricia" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Carter buys the Pawtucket Patriot brewery and decides to cut some corners to save a few bucks. Peter overhears the plan and runs and tells investigative journalist Tricia Takanawa about Carter’s plan to use toxic chemicals in the beer cans. Meanwhile, Brian’s drivers’ license has expired and he enlists Stewie as an instructor.
The Last Man on Earth - "Whitney Houston, We Have a Problem" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After finding a mysterious note left by Melissa that says “Goodbye,” the gang sets off to go look for her. Meanwhile, Gail gets stuck on a solo adventure of her own.
K.C. Undercover - "Holly Holly Not So Jolly" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Christmas time arrives and K.C. tells everyone she has to go pick up a last-minute gift, but instead goes to The Organization's therapist, Dr. Levinstein.
Mech X-4 - "Let's Survive in the Woods!" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Principal Grey sets a trap for Ryan, Harris and Spyder while they're on a camping trip, which leaves MECH-X4 and Mark in danger.
Best Friends Whenever - "The Christmas Curse" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Shelby and Cyd encourage a homesick Daisy to incorporate a festive 16th-century tradition into their annual Christmas party.
Monday, December 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gael García Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of Fuller House - The cast of Fuller House are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - Miss Piggy and Harry perform Deck the Halls on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Meredith Hagner (Search Party/Men at Work) - Meredith is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Office Christmas Party on the AOL Build Show at 3pm. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 9:50am.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:45am.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn talks about Kevin Can Wait on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.