Friday, September 03, 2010
Blog Book Review: With Love and Laughter, John Ritter (Sept. 7); Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 6, 2010)
See my Blog Book Review of With Love and Laughter, John Ritter:
With Love and Laughter, John Ritter - by Amy Yasbeck (Simon & Schuster, $26.00) was how John Ritter usually signed autographs and now it will be a hit book! In this wonderful, loving, funny and sad book, we get personal stories and details from life of John Ritter in the words of his wife, Amy Yasbeck. There are all kinds of very interesting and detailed stories in this book and the book has about 249 pages, but you breeze right through it because it is very well-written and so enduring. You can't put it down and I'm sure when you all get it, you'll see why. Amy does a very good job in the writing and picks the perfect stories. We get personal stories from both her life before John and with John. And of course we get stories from some of John's acting work. We all know he was the nicest guy and Amy proves that even more with her stories. The man was also very smart. John was of course funny, caring, nice and smart. You'll see all those qualities in these stories.
The book has twenty-six chapters, but of course there is no chapter thirteen. Amy hilariously notes that actors are superstitious, so chapter thirteen is a no-no! Ha that number thirteen is to be feared! There is also a seven-page pre-face before chapter 1. The book starts off with some background information on John's childhood life in chapter one and in chapter two we get info on Amy's childhood life in Ohio. The next chapter delves into John's early roles guest starring on shows like Kojak. Amy gives us a hilarious story from that role, when they caught a rerun of that episode in 1997. Chapter four is titled "Daddy No Beard." That is what his daughter Stella called him whenever she saw a rerun of Three's Company on Nick at Nite. Stella was used to the bearded John Ritter. Even Stella is funny! This chapter discusses Three's Company. The next chapter has Amy detailing her move to New York in 1983. I never knew about this story at all, so it was very fascinating. We get a taste of how Amy got into "the business."
Chapter six is titled "Icon Tact." Among the items discussed in this chapter are why John Ritter never hosted Saturday Night Live, despite being offered to host it. The next chapter we get more of Amy's early work and then in chapter eight is where Amy meets John on September 25, 1989 at Dennis Dugan's house. Dugan directed the feature film Problem Child, which starred both John and Amy. In Chapter nine, we move into the 1990's! The chapter starts off with John and Amy's guest appearance on The Cosby Show. We get so many behind-the-scenes stories here. The chapter also highlights stories from Hearts Afire, where John met his good buddy Billy Bob Thornton.
Without detailing every chapter, the best of the book has great stories like Amy on Wings, John working with Andy Griffith on the TV-movie Gramps (Amy also worked with Andy on Matlock), their summer trip in Italy & France in 1996, going to Elizabeth Taylor's house in 1997, more of John's TV movies like Last Man on the List & Holy Joe, the cool stories and treatment at World's Greatest Magic IV, the birth of Stella and why they named her Stella, the marriage, the play The Dinner Party with Henry Winkler, a hilarious recall on Henry & John's early 90s TV movie The Only Way Out, living in New York in 2000, Clifford the Big Red Dog, 8 Simple Rules and John's final day. There are also over 25 nice color photos in the middle of the book, from John & Amy in Venice, Hawaii, with Stella, and more!
The last few chapters talks about life after John, including the Ritter Rules, which are life-saving reminders to recognize, treat, and prevent thoracic aortic dissection. The John Ritter Foundation for Aortic Health is saving so many lives and is a great tribute to John Ritter. In the book, Amy also mentions in detail on how John's brother Tom was saved from an aortic dissection. This foundation is truly saving lives and will for many years to come! Chapter twenty-six is titled, "John But Not Forgotten," and he certainly will never be forgotten.
Fans of John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck will surely want to get this book. It is a great read and so interesting. I think fans of television/sitcoms in general will enjoy it. There are so many interesting behind-the-scenes stories that television fans will find cool. The book is out this coming Tuesday (Sept. 7), so I hope you have pre-ordered it? If not, please click the link below and pre-order today! This book needs to be in the top 10 best-sellers because it really deserves to be! Catch Amy Yasbeck promoting the book on the following programs/locations:
- Tuesday, September 7, 2010
KTTV-Fox, Los Angeles GOOD DAY L.A. 9:00AM
- Monday, September 13, 2010
NBC, DAILY CONNECTION 12:30PM
- Tuesday, September 14, 2010
NBC, TODAY Show 8:00AM
- Tuesday, September 14, 2010
ABC, THE VIEW 11:00AM ET/10:00AM CT/PT
- Tuesday, September 14, 2010
HLN, THE JOY BEHAR SHOW 9:00PM
- Thursday, September 16, 2010
PREMIERE RADIO NETWORK 8:00AM
- Thursday, September 16, 2010
SIRIUS XM Radio 11:30AM
- Saturday, September 18, 2010
BARNES & NOBLE 2:00PM
7800 Montgomery Rd in Cincinnati, OH
- Monday, September 20, 2010
Syndicated, RACHAEL RAY SHOW 10:00AM (WABC)
- Monday, September 20, 2010
Syndicated, BETTER TV (check local listings)
- Thursday, September 23, 2010
BARNES & NOBLE 7:00PM
189 The Grove Drive in Los Angeles, CA
-- Reviewed by Pavan
To purchase this book, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of Sept. 6-10, 2010, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, September 6, 2010
- John Larroquette (Night Court/John Larroquette Show/Happy Family) - Catch John on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- The Cast of The Game - Watch the cast of the sitcom on this repeat of The Mo'nique Show on BET at 11pm!
- Chris Kattan (The Middle) - Catch Chris on an all-new Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell) - Watch Mario on a repeat of The Rachel Ray Show, so check your listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Kevin appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12:05am on ABC.
- Jerry O'Connell (Carpoolers) - Catch Jerry on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS.
- Terry Crews (Are We There Yet?) - Watch funnyman Terry on a repeat of The Mo'nique Show on BET at 11pm!
- Donal Logue (Knights of Prosperity/Grounded for Life) - Catch Donal on an all-new Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12:05am on ABC.
- The Cast of The Brady Bunch - Catch some of the stars (Susan Olsen, Mike Lookinland, and Christopher Knight) reuniting for Lloyd Schwartz's book Brady, Brady Brady on Good Morning America on ABC sometime between 7-9am.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show so check your local listings.
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Catch the Emmy winner on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am! Dun dun...hey hey!
- Donald Glover (Community) - Watch Donald on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, at 12:35am on CBS!
- Katey Sagal (8 Simple Rules/Married...with Children/Tucker) - Catch Katey also on Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:35am on CBS!
- Donal Logue (Knights of Prosperity/Grounded for Life) - Donal continues his rounds, this time on Tavis Smiley on PBS. Check your listings for time.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Catch Danny on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- John Corbett (United States of Tara) - Catch John on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your listings.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation/George Lopez) - Watch Nick on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. This show is always in repeats!
Leave us comments on our message board or Tweet/Facebook us to let us know what you think of this Friday feature! We do listen!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 30
The Big Bang Theory - "The Collaboration Fluctuation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Leonard, Penny and Raj adjust to their new living arrangement, and Sheldon takes an interest in Amy’s work.
The Great Indoors - "Cubicles" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Jack can’t concentrate because of the millennials’ distracting juvenile behavior, Brooke installs cubicles in the bullpen.
Mom - "Black Mold and an Old Hot Dog" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy helps Jill adjust to being a new foster mother, and Bonnie has trouble convincing tenants that she’s a good building manager.
Life in Pieces - "Sleepover Dream Light Haze" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Matt and Colleen take a strong sleep aid, they start experiencing crazy sleepwalking adventures. Also, Greg gets upset when Jen reveals she had a sex dream about a member of the family; Tim regrets missing a slumber party when he was a kid so he insists on helping Sophia make it through a friend’s sleepover; and John installs a motion-sensor light in the yard that flashes repeatedly, keeping them up at night. Fortune Feimster returns as Colleen’s roommate, Dougie, and J.B. Smoove returns as John and Joan’s neighbor, Darryl.
Superstore - "Seasonal Help" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Much to Amy's (America Ferrera) dismay, Glenn (Mark McKinney) hires Amy's husband, Adam (guest star Ryan Gaul), for some extra help, exposing her in ways in which she is not prepared. Frustrated with the lazy, noncommittal temps, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) start an employee draft to place bets on who will quit first while Glenn tries to find the perfect person to play Santa at the store for Christmas.
Powerless - "I'ma Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Thursday, March 30
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine/Friends) - Catch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and the AOL Build Show at 4pm.
- Louis C.K. (Louie/Lucky Louie) - Louie appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Regina King (227) - Regina stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marissa is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Christine Baranski (Cybill/Happy Family/Welcome to New York) - Christine appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kristen Schaal (The Last Man on Earth/Bob's Burgers/Flight of the Conchords) - Kristen visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) and Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Alec and Lisa talk about The Baby Boss on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Katey Sagal (Superior Donuts/Married with Children/8 Simple Rules) - Katey discusses her new book Grace Notes: My Recollections on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig is a guest on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.