Saturday, August 16, 2008
Entourage: The Complete Fourth Season (HBO, $39.98) continues the ongoing story of Vince Chase "chasing" his dreams to make it big in Hollywood, thanks to (but most often in spite of) his faithful group of friends, his entourage, Eric, Drama, and Turtle.
We start the season with "Welcome to the Jungle," where we go behind-the-scenes (not from our perspective, but the perspective of the characters of the show) of the Vince’s movie for this season, Medellin. In "Sorry, Harvey," Ari gets into some trouble and lands in jail for what he does with a top-secret script... oops! The series addresses the modern issue of things that shouldn’t be on YouTube ending up on there in "The Dream Team" and "The WeHo Ho." Finally, he guys learn a lesson in reality in the film business in "The Cannes Kids." There are many well-known guest stars this season, including Gary Busey, Snoop Dogg, Sydney Pollack, Kanye West, and more.
The audio and video on the set is superb, with the video being presented in the 16:9 aspect ratio and audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. But there are also Spanish and French audio tracks, as well as English, Spanish, and French subtitles. The episodes are spanned over three discs, but the outside packaging is slightly different this time. While it looks similar, the big change is that the sturdier hard cardboard packaging has been replaced with a less expensive standard box. It isn't a big deal, though.
The set is loaded with special features, beginning with commentaries. The commentaries are by Doug Ellin, Kevin Connolly, Kevin Dillon, Jerry Ferrara, and Adrian Grenier. These can be found on "Welcome to the Jungle," "The Day Fu*kers," and "The Cannes Kids." "The Making of Medellin" goes behind-the-scenes into the making of the very movie that Vince is starring in this season. "Medellin Trailer," of course, is a trailer for the fictitious movie. "U.S. Comedy Arts Festival Panel" is a nice and long conversation with the cast members at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival. This lasts a whole fifty minutes, and is very insightful and entertaining. Finally, although the packaging doesn't mention it, there are recaps and previews for every episode on the set, which are basically like short promos. I like to watch them before I watch any episode.
As always, we have a pretty good DVD set here, and fans are sure to be happy with what is here. We have another great season of episodes with great special features. I'm usually not a fan of these premium cable series, although this is one of the few that I find enjoyable and far better than many other series on television today. It is surprising that this series isn't also being released on Blu-Ray Disc as well, although I'm sure that will come at some point in the future.
-- Reviewed by skees53
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
Entourage TV.com Page
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 31
Fresh Off the Boat - "Tight Two" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis prides himself on being a fun dad, but after he has an accident and is forced to stay home with the boys, he scrambles to find ways to entertain the kids. And while Louis is stuck at home, Jessica struggles to manage the staff and the new takeout service at Cattleman’s Ranch.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Phillip Goldstein" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eddie tries to befriend the only other Chinese kid in school (guest star Albert Tsai, “Trophy Wife”), but he’s in for a letdown after he finds out that they have nothing in common; Louis feels betrayed when Mitch (Paul Scheer) accepts a job at the rival Golden Saddle.
Tuesday, May 31
- Megan Fox (Hope & Faith) - Catch Megan on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - Melissa is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris appears on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rob Corddry (Ballers/The Winner) - Rob appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Paul F. Tompkins (DAG) - Paul is a guest on a repeat of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Rob Lowe (The Grinder/Parks and Recreation) - Rob appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- David Schwimmer (Friends) - David will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michael Urie (Partners) - Michael discusses hosting the 61st Drama Desk Awards on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Ashley Tisdale (Clipped/The Suite Life of Zack & Cody) - Ashley discusses her first ever beauty line Illuminate by Ashley Tisdale on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose) - Jenna and her husband Bodhi discuss their hit podcast Kicking and Screaming on the the AOL Build Show at 5pm.
- Kenan Thompson (Kenan & Kel) - Kenan talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Laura Marano (Austin & Ally/Back to You) - Laura appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.