Welcome to SitcomsOnline Digest! We're in yet another holiday weekend with a slow news week, and once again, no new home media news or releases (we hope that those sections will be back next week though!), but we do have news about another potential reboot of a 90s hit sitcom, a look at the busy week ahead on the small screen, and more. Let's get going!
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- Every series that was a hit in the 90s needs new episodes, or at least that's what Sony is thinking when it comes to Mad About You, as they want to bring that series back. (AV Club)
- CBS doesn't seem to have any plans to bring back any of their successful 90s sitcoms (not that they really had that many to begin with), but they have been busy colorizing their old 50s and 60s sitcoms, and they've been performing rather decently when it comes to ratings. (Deadline)
- Vox has their list of the 35 best TV episodes of 2017, so go take a look and check out what you may have missed from the shows you don't watch regularly. (Vox)
- Make no mistake: sports leagues will do everything to cater to their TV audience, and that is demonstrated very clearly in the NFL cancelling their Sunday Night Football game that would have aired on NBC due to low ratings expectations that New Year's Eve would bring. (Yahoo)
- Rose Marie, who was best known for her role on The Dick Van Dyke Show (and also starred in two seasons of The Doris Day Show), died this week. (CNN)
- We mention some of them for your convenience in our Weekly Planner feature, but here is a larger list of all of the marathons that you can catch this weekend. (SitcomsOnline)
WEEKLY PLANNER (DECEMBER 31 - JANUARY 6)
- Antenna TV is having a Newhart marathon all day on New Year's Eve, then that will be followed up with a Coach marathon on New Year's Day.
- Antenna TV also starts their new completely revamped lineup on Tuesday, with several new series joining the lineup: Alice, Coach, Gimme a Break, Growing Pains, Head of the Class, The Hogan Family, Murphy Brown, and Silver Spoons, as well as the return of Benson, The Jack Benny Program, McHale's Navy, and Soap. You can find the complete printable schedule here.
- Not included on that new Antenna TV lineup: All in the Family, Good Times, and Sanford & Son, but getTV will be airing them in their First Families of Funny block that will be airing weeknights starting Tuesday (after an all day marathon on Monday).
- MeTV starts their new lineup on January 1, and while it isn't a complete makeover of the entire lineup like Antenna TV is doing, it does bring Diff'rent Strokes to the lineup.
- If it's New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, it should come as no shock that Syfy is doing their Twilight Zone marathon.
- Full House joins the Hallmark Channel lineup on Tuesday, after a marathon on Monday.
- Not to be a broken record on series joining a lineup after a marathon on Monday, but the same can be said about The Nanny on COZI TV.
- If you're looking for something fresh on TV this week as opposed to classic series joining a new network, most broadcast network primetime sitcoms return to new episodes starting Tuesday evening, with Fox even introducing a brand new comedy series (L.A. to Vegas).
- Of course, it wouldn't be the weekend without the Weekend Binge on Decades, and this weekend it is Diagnosis Murder.