Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Seeso announced the greenlighting of There's...Johnny!, an eight episode comedy series set behind the scenes at The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. The coming of age story, set in 1970s Los Angeles, when The Tonight Show first moved from New York to Burbank, is written by Paul Reiser and David Steven Simon, and Executive Produced by Reiser, Simon and David Gordon Green, who also will be directing. The Seeso Original Series follows the lives and challenges of Andy, a wide-eyed 19-year-old Nebraskan who stumbles his way into a job at The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, and Joy, a young Talent Coordinator on the show, as they both try to find their way and prove themselves in this period of cultural and political upheaval. The show will touch on major historical events of the time, including the Vietnam War, Nixon, and the strengthening counter-culture, as well the show's status as one of the most popular and important cultural institution of its day.
Produced in conjunction with the Carson Estate, the show has on board Executive Producer Jeff Sotzing, Carson's nephew, who, like the lead character, also started "a little lower than the mailroom" at that time, and today runs the Carson Estate. The series will premiere in 2017, 55 years after Carson's first appearance in The Tonight Show, and 25 years after his last show. With unprecedented access to the full Carson archives, the comedy will intertwine live action with authentic footage of Johnny and his guests on screen. The series will focus on the people behind the scenes of the legendary late-night show, while Johnny will be portrayed as a looming presence.
NBC has ordered six episodes of the new half-hour alternative comedy series Common Sense, where real people from all walks of life offer their honest opinions on the week's news and buzzworthy events - unfiltered, completely real, and very funny. Each week a cast of reoccurring characters will express their opinions on the most talked about news of that week. Duos made up of friends, colleagues or family members - will walk through their hilarious thought process and inspired understanding of what's happening in the world. Filmed in real time and giving everyday people a chance to sound off on their opinions with a primetime show and national audience as a microphone, this innovative format delivers topical news and water cooler moments of the week in a smart and clever way. We transport viewers to workplaces, coffee shops, restaurants, gyms and bars all over the country to hear real people's take on the week's news - from the big headlines to the random local stories.
Common Sense offers a fresh and entertainingly unique way of delivering the news in a smart and witty way, with comedy, satire and heart, all while celebrating the diversity of America and providing a compelling understanding of what's happening in the world and how we all feel about it. The format was originally developed by Studio Lambert for the BBC, who will be launching a British version of the show early next year.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, December 3
Henry Danger - "Dodging Danger" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Henry uses his new super power to compete in a Dodge-A-Leen tournament, Ray, Schwoz, and Charlotte go undercover to teach Henry a lesson.
Monday, December 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gael García Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of Fuller House - The cast of Fuller House are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - Miss Piggy and Harry perform Deck the Halls on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Meredith Hagner (Search Party/Men at Work) - Meredith is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Office Christmas Party on the AOL Build Show at 3pm. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 9:50am.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:45am.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn talks about Kevin Can Wait on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.