Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Seeso announced the greenlighting of There's...Johnny!, an eight episode comedy series set behind the scenes at The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. The coming of age story, set in 1970s Los Angeles, when The Tonight Show first moved from New York to Burbank, is written by Paul Reiser and David Steven Simon, and Executive Produced by Reiser, Simon and David Gordon Green, who also will be directing. The Seeso Original Series follows the lives and challenges of Andy, a wide-eyed 19-year-old Nebraskan who stumbles his way into a job at The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, and Joy, a young Talent Coordinator on the show, as they both try to find their way and prove themselves in this period of cultural and political upheaval. The show will touch on major historical events of the time, including the Vietnam War, Nixon, and the strengthening counter-culture, as well the show's status as one of the most popular and important cultural institution of its day.
Produced in conjunction with the Carson Estate, the show has on board Executive Producer Jeff Sotzing, Carson's nephew, who, like the lead character, also started "a little lower than the mailroom" at that time, and today runs the Carson Estate. The series will premiere in 2017, 55 years after Carson's first appearance in The Tonight Show, and 25 years after his last show. With unprecedented access to the full Carson archives, the comedy will intertwine live action with authentic footage of Johnny and his guests on screen. The series will focus on the people behind the scenes of the legendary late-night show, while Johnny will be portrayed as a looming presence.
NBC has ordered six episodes of the new half-hour alternative comedy series Common Sense, where real people from all walks of life offer their honest opinions on the week's news and buzzworthy events - unfiltered, completely real, and very funny. Each week a cast of reoccurring characters will express their opinions on the most talked about news of that week. Duos made up of friends, colleagues or family members - will walk through their hilarious thought process and inspired understanding of what's happening in the world. Filmed in real time and giving everyday people a chance to sound off on their opinions with a primetime show and national audience as a microphone, this innovative format delivers topical news and water cooler moments of the week in a smart and clever way. We transport viewers to workplaces, coffee shops, restaurants, gyms and bars all over the country to hear real people's take on the week's news - from the big headlines to the random local stories.
Common Sense offers a fresh and entertainingly unique way of delivering the news in a smart and witty way, with comedy, satire and heart, all while celebrating the diversity of America and providing a compelling understanding of what's happening in the world and how we all feel about it. The format was originally developed by Studio Lambert for the BBC, who will be launching a British version of the show early next year.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.