Saturday, June 04, 2016
SitcomsOnline Digest: Jenji Kohan Bringing Another Series to Netflix; Heathcliff and Dennis the Menace Complete Series Releases in the Works
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- Jenji Kohan, who is best known as the creator of Weeds and Orange is the New Black, will be bringing another series to Netflix, and this time it is a comedy about women's wrestling in the 80s. (Yahoo! TV)
- Muhammad Ali died yesterday, and to most, he'll be remembered as "the greatest of all time," but for those who enjoy sitcoms of the 80s, he is remembered from a classic 1979 episode of Diff'rent Strokes in which he was a guest star. (Zap2it)
- Norman Lear is never shy when it comes to controversy, and this week, he has compared one of the 2016 presidential candidates to one of his most iconic characters of the 70s. (Politico)
- The "reboot" of the miniseries Roots debuted this week, and with it simultaneously airing on multiple cable networks, it should be no surprise that viewers were tuning in. (Deadline)
- Michael Dann is not a household name, but he was responsible for a lot of the success of CBS throughout the 60s (and long enough into the early 70s that he was able to bring The Mary Tyler Moore Show and All in the Family to the network before leaving), and he died this week at age 94. (Variety)
- TV Land has picked up a new series called Nobodies. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- It has been a while since we've seen any releases of the animated Dennis the Menace and Heathcliff from Mill Creek, but given Mill Creek's tendency to complete any series that they start, we knew the rest of the series would eventually have to come. Now, we know that Heathcliff - The Complete Series and Dennis the Menace - The Complete Series will both arrive on DVD on August 2 and a $29.98 MSRP. However, it doesn't appear that a third volume will be released at this time for those who have already purchased the first two volumes of each series.
TUESDAY (JUNE 7) HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Quantum Leap - Seasons 1 and 2 (DVD, $19.98): Mill Creek begins the first of their re-releases of this classic series on DVD with this release of the first two seasons, at a deep discount.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.