Saturday, June 04, 2016
SitcomsOnline Digest: Jenji Kohan Bringing Another Series to Netflix; Heathcliff and Dennis the Menace Complete Series Releases in the Works
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- Jenji Kohan, who is best known as the creator of Weeds and Orange is the New Black, will be bringing another series to Netflix, and this time it is a comedy about women's wrestling in the 80s. (Yahoo! TV)
- Muhammad Ali died yesterday, and to most, he'll be remembered as "the greatest of all time," but for those who enjoy sitcoms of the 80s, he is remembered from a classic 1979 episode of Diff'rent Strokes in which he was a guest star. (Zap2it)
- Norman Lear is never shy when it comes to controversy, and this week, he has compared one of the 2016 presidential candidates to one of his most iconic characters of the 70s. (Politico)
- The "reboot" of the miniseries Roots debuted this week, and with it simultaneously airing on multiple cable networks, it should be no surprise that viewers were tuning in. (Deadline)
- Michael Dann is not a household name, but he was responsible for a lot of the success of CBS throughout the 60s (and long enough into the early 70s that he was able to bring The Mary Tyler Moore Show and All in the Family to the network before leaving), and he died this week at age 94. (Variety)
- TV Land has picked up a new series called Nobodies. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- It has been a while since we've seen any releases of the animated Dennis the Menace and Heathcliff from Mill Creek, but given Mill Creek's tendency to complete any series that they start, we knew the rest of the series would eventually have to come. Now, we know that Heathcliff - The Complete Series and Dennis the Menace - The Complete Series will both arrive on DVD on August 2 and a $29.98 MSRP. However, it doesn't appear that a third volume will be released at this time for those who have already purchased the first two volumes of each series.
TUESDAY (JUNE 7) HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Quantum Leap - Seasons 1 and 2 (DVD, $19.98): Mill Creek begins the first of their re-releases of this classic series on DVD with this release of the first two seasons, at a deep discount.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.