Tuesday, March 29, 2016
TV Land Icon Awards to Honor Norman Lear and John Stamos; TV Land's Younger Scores Its Most-Watched Episode Ever
We reported last week that TV Land was reinventing their annual awards ceremony as the TV Land Icon Awards in Celebration with Entertainment Weekly. Comedian George Lopez will host the evening honoring the very best of TV and entertainment, taping Sunday, April 10th at The Barker Hangar in Los Angeles, and airing Sunday, April 17th at 9pm ET/PT on TV Land. They have announced this year's honorees and additional guests for the star-studded event.
Three-time Emmy® Award winner Norman Lear will be honored with the Impact Icon Award, which praises individuals that have made a significant impression on American entertainment and culture. The incomparable Lear has been in the entertainment business for more than 60 years, creating some of the most memorable television comedy staples including The Jeffersons, One Day at a Time, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Maude and Good Times, all of which have endured through generations and remain some of today's pop cultural favorites. In addition to being a multiple Emmy Award-winner, Lear is also a recipient of the National Medal of Arts and a Peabody Award, among other numerous accolades. Oscar®, Emmy®, Tony® and GRAMMY® winner Rita Moreno and Jimmie Walker will be on hand on hand for his tribute, and Glee star and recording artist Amber Riley, along with others to be announced, will perform a special medley of theme songs from Lear's shows. The Impact Icon Award will be presented to Lear by television and film creator Seth MacFarlane.
Also being honored at this year's ceremony is John Stamos, who will receive the Timeless Icon Award, which is presented to an entertainer whose extraordinary work spans generations. John Stamos is best known for his role as Jesse Katsopolis on the hit sitcom Full House, a role he recently reprised in the highly-anticipated follow up, Fuller House, which debuted in February on Netflix. He began his career as foster teen and dreamboat Blackie Parrish on General Hospital in 1982. After Full House, he went on to star on several seasons of ER as Dr. Tony Gates, played the title role in Jake in Progress, and currently stars on the FOX series Grandfathered. Stamos' Full House co-stars and longtime friends Dave Coulier and Lori Loughlin, his Grandfathered co-stars Paget Brewster and Josh Peck, and renowned television creator and film producer Garry Marshall will present him with his award. As part of his tribute, GRAMMY-winning band The Beach Boys will perform a medley of their hit songs.
TV Land and Darren Star's critical darling Younger has reached new series highs in Live+3 after the highly-anticipated season two finale aired last Wednesday (3/23/16), netting 1.3 million total viewers. The median age of the audience for the Sutton Foster comedy is 12 years younger (46 years old) than TV Land's channel prime average, and four years younger than season one. Season two has boasted impressive double-digit gains over season one. The show has also seen significant growth with its followers and fans on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Younger was already renewed for a 12-episode third season before the second season launched on January 13. We will keep you posted when they announce the season three premiere date.
Younger follows Liza (two-time Tony® winner Sutton Foster), a 40-year old woman who pretends to be 26 in order to get a job in the highly competitive world of publishing – and succeeds. Now working under the prickly Diana (Miriam Shor), Liza has to figure out how to balance her real life with best friend Maggie (Debi Mazar), and her "pretend" life with her new crew – friend/coworker Kellsey (Hilary Duff) and fashion publicist Lauren (Molly Bernard). At the end of season two, Liza's secret took a tragic turn when Kelsey's fiancé Thad (Dan Amboyer) was killed in an accident right after he discovered her lie, and Liza's love life is in disarray as she tries to choose between on-again/off-again boyfriend Josh (Nico Tortorella) and her boss Charles (Peter Hermann), with whom she has an undeniable connection. Season three is set to shoot in New York this summer.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, March 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Brain Bowl Incubation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After a successful experiment combining their genes, Sheldon will stop at nothing to convince Amy they should procreate. Also, Koothrappali is embarrassed to tell the gang what the new woman he’s dating does for a living.
Kevin Can Wait - "Kevin's Bringing Supper Back" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin’s resolve to spend more quality time with his family is put to the ultimate test when his buddies surprise him with concert tickets to his favorite musician, fellow Long Islander Billy Joel. Multiple Grammy Award-winning pianist, singer and songwriter Billy Joel appears as himself.
Superior Donuts - "Get It, Arthur" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Randy’s mom comes to town, Franco encourages Arthur to go out on his first date in years. Brenda Vaccaro guest stars as Helen, Randy’s mom.
The Great Indoors - "Aaron Wolf" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Jack watches the millennials’ journalistic integrity slip away when they fall under the spell of his nemesis, Aaron Wolf (Chris D’Elia), a former magazine staffer turned famous outdoor reality TV host who returns to guest edit the magazine.
Monday, March 27
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.