Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Last week we told you about the new docu-comedy series starring Christine Lakin, Jodie Sweetin and Beverly Mitchell, now we have more news from Pop (formerly known as TV Guide Network). Pop, a television network seen in more than 80 million homes with original programming that celebrates what fans are excited about, announced its 2016-2017 upfront slate, which showcases premium original series, award-winning talent and programming that taps into cultural trends and topics. The network's upfront programming line-up includes more than 400 hours of original content and a diverse mix of eight original shows, including: the two original scripted comedies Schitt's Creek and Nightcap; the previously mentioned Hollywood Darlings, a new docu-comedy spotlighting child stars of the '90s; the return of Sing It On, Rock this Boat: New Kids on the Block and Unusually Thicke; pop culture game show Easiest Game Show Ever; and the fan-engaged, live late night after-show Big Brother After Dark.
In the new comedy Nightcap, a clever, over-the-top culture-commentary comedy that dives into the hilarity that ensues behind-the-scenes of a fictitious late-night talk show, The Nightcap with Jimmy. The 10-episode original scripted comedy series stars Ali Wentworth (In Living Color, Head Case) and features a mix of improvisational actors and real-life celebrities. Each half-hour episode covers the hectic minutes prior to a live airing of a late-night talk show, which are fraught with insanity, urgency, absurdity, laughter and lip-sync rehearsals. Produced by Ali Wentworth, Tom Brunelle and Brad Wollack, Zero Point Zero and Troy Miller/Dakota Films for Lionsgate, Nightcap is set to premiere summer 2016. As for Alan Thicke's series, it will return on Pop fall 2016. Season two of Unusually Thicke will include 14 episodes featuring buzzworthy storylines and appearances from Alan's celebrity friends, including Lou Ferrigno, Wayne Brady, Cedric the Entertainer, Lance Bass, Russell Peters, Kato Kaelin, Jon Dore, Dave Foley, Alex Trebek, Cat Cora and Robin Thicke. An finally, Pop is in development on its third original scripted comedy series, The Joey McIntyre Project (working title). The network has completed a half-hour pilot starring Joey McIntyre as a fictionalized version of himself. The show catches up with Joey in an attempt to branch out from his New Kids on the Block fame and continue towards his goal of becoming a serious actor.
ABC's hilarious '90s themed comedy Fresh Off the Boat will have a very special episode on Tuesday, April 5, as it pays homage to a '90s classic. Jessica (Constance Wu) is obsessed with the primetime soap Melrose Place and is beside herself when the season comes to an end. So to fulfill her need for drama, Jessica and Honey (Chelsey Crisp) do some snooping and discover a juicy secret about Deidre (guest star Rachel Cannon). Meanwhile, Louis (Randall Park) and Eddie (Hudson Yang) help Emery (Forrest Wheeler) find a way to channel negative emotions. And to top off the Melrose Place themed episode, Melrose Place alum Courtney Thorne-Smith will guest star! Nothing more is being said, so perhaps she will be in character as Alison Parker or as herself? Stay tuned on Tuesday, April 5 at 8pm on ABC!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.