Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Last week we told you about the new docu-comedy series starring Christine Lakin, Jodie Sweetin and Beverly Mitchell, now we have more news from Pop (formerly known as TV Guide Network). Pop, a television network seen in more than 80 million homes with original programming that celebrates what fans are excited about, announced its 2016-2017 upfront slate, which showcases premium original series, award-winning talent and programming that taps into cultural trends and topics. The network's upfront programming line-up includes more than 400 hours of original content and a diverse mix of eight original shows, including: the two original scripted comedies Schitt's Creek and Nightcap; the previously mentioned Hollywood Darlings, a new docu-comedy spotlighting child stars of the '90s; the return of Sing It On, Rock this Boat: New Kids on the Block and Unusually Thicke; pop culture game show Easiest Game Show Ever; and the fan-engaged, live late night after-show Big Brother After Dark.
In the new comedy Nightcap, a clever, over-the-top culture-commentary comedy that dives into the hilarity that ensues behind-the-scenes of a fictitious late-night talk show, The Nightcap with Jimmy. The 10-episode original scripted comedy series stars Ali Wentworth (In Living Color, Head Case) and features a mix of improvisational actors and real-life celebrities. Each half-hour episode covers the hectic minutes prior to a live airing of a late-night talk show, which are fraught with insanity, urgency, absurdity, laughter and lip-sync rehearsals. Produced by Ali Wentworth, Tom Brunelle and Brad Wollack, Zero Point Zero and Troy Miller/Dakota Films for Lionsgate, Nightcap is set to premiere summer 2016. As for Alan Thicke's series, it will return on Pop fall 2016. Season two of Unusually Thicke will include 14 episodes featuring buzzworthy storylines and appearances from Alan's celebrity friends, including Lou Ferrigno, Wayne Brady, Cedric the Entertainer, Lance Bass, Russell Peters, Kato Kaelin, Jon Dore, Dave Foley, Alex Trebek, Cat Cora and Robin Thicke. An finally, Pop is in development on its third original scripted comedy series, The Joey McIntyre Project (working title). The network has completed a half-hour pilot starring Joey McIntyre as a fictionalized version of himself. The show catches up with Joey in an attempt to branch out from his New Kids on the Block fame and continue towards his goal of becoming a serious actor.
ABC's hilarious '90s themed comedy Fresh Off the Boat will have a very special episode on Tuesday, April 5, as it pays homage to a '90s classic. Jessica (Constance Wu) is obsessed with the primetime soap Melrose Place and is beside herself when the season comes to an end. So to fulfill her need for drama, Jessica and Honey (Chelsey Crisp) do some snooping and discover a juicy secret about Deidre (guest star Rachel Cannon). Meanwhile, Louis (Randall Park) and Eddie (Hudson Yang) help Emery (Forrest Wheeler) find a way to channel negative emotions. And to top off the Melrose Place themed episode, Melrose Place alum Courtney Thorne-Smith will guest star! Nothing more is being said, so perhaps she will be in character as Alison Parker or as herself? Stay tuned on Tuesday, April 5 at 8pm on ABC!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.