Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Last week we told you about the new docu-comedy series starring Christine Lakin, Jodie Sweetin and Beverly Mitchell, now we have more news from Pop (formerly known as TV Guide Network). Pop, a television network seen in more than 80 million homes with original programming that celebrates what fans are excited about, announced its 2016-2017 upfront slate, which showcases premium original series, award-winning talent and programming that taps into cultural trends and topics. The network's upfront programming line-up includes more than 400 hours of original content and a diverse mix of eight original shows, including: the two original scripted comedies Schitt's Creek and Nightcap; the previously mentioned Hollywood Darlings, a new docu-comedy spotlighting child stars of the '90s; the return of Sing It On, Rock this Boat: New Kids on the Block and Unusually Thicke; pop culture game show Easiest Game Show Ever; and the fan-engaged, live late night after-show Big Brother After Dark.
In the new comedy Nightcap, a clever, over-the-top culture-commentary comedy that dives into the hilarity that ensues behind-the-scenes of a fictitious late-night talk show, The Nightcap with Jimmy. The 10-episode original scripted comedy series stars Ali Wentworth (In Living Color, Head Case) and features a mix of improvisational actors and real-life celebrities. Each half-hour episode covers the hectic minutes prior to a live airing of a late-night talk show, which are fraught with insanity, urgency, absurdity, laughter and lip-sync rehearsals. Produced by Ali Wentworth, Tom Brunelle and Brad Wollack, Zero Point Zero and Troy Miller/Dakota Films for Lionsgate, Nightcap is set to premiere summer 2016. As for Alan Thicke's series, it will return on Pop fall 2016. Season two of Unusually Thicke will include 14 episodes featuring buzzworthy storylines and appearances from Alan's celebrity friends, including Lou Ferrigno, Wayne Brady, Cedric the Entertainer, Lance Bass, Russell Peters, Kato Kaelin, Jon Dore, Dave Foley, Alex Trebek, Cat Cora and Robin Thicke. An finally, Pop is in development on its third original scripted comedy series, The Joey McIntyre Project (working title). The network has completed a half-hour pilot starring Joey McIntyre as a fictionalized version of himself. The show catches up with Joey in an attempt to branch out from his New Kids on the Block fame and continue towards his goal of becoming a serious actor.
ABC's hilarious '90s themed comedy Fresh Off the Boat will have a very special episode on Tuesday, April 5, as it pays homage to a '90s classic. Jessica (Constance Wu) is obsessed with the primetime soap Melrose Place and is beside herself when the season comes to an end. So to fulfill her need for drama, Jessica and Honey (Chelsey Crisp) do some snooping and discover a juicy secret about Deidre (guest star Rachel Cannon). Meanwhile, Louis (Randall Park) and Eddie (Hudson Yang) help Emery (Forrest Wheeler) find a way to channel negative emotions. And to top off the Melrose Place themed episode, Melrose Place alum Courtney Thorne-Smith will guest star! Nothing more is being said, so perhaps she will be in character as Alison Parker or as herself? Stay tuned on Tuesday, April 5 at 8pm on ABC!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 1
The Good Place - "Pilot" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Thanks to some kind of error, Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), an ordinary woman, enters the afterlife and is sent to the Good Place -- which is definitely not where she belongs. While hiding in plain sight from Michael (Ted Danson), the wise architect of the Good Place who is unaware that he's made a mistake, she's determined to shed her old way of living and discover the awesome person within. Helping Eleanor navigate her new surroundings are Chidi (William Jackson Harper), her kind, open-hearted "soulmate" who sees the good in people but finds himself facing quite a dilemma; her frustratingly perfect new neighbors, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto); and Janet (D'Arcy Carden), a walking, talking source for all the knowledge in the universe.
The Good Place - "Flying" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) tries to prove to Chidi (William Jackson Harper) that she is worthy of his help. Meanwhile, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto) try to help Michael (Ted Danson) feel better about the unknown flaw in his Neighborhood.
The Good Place - "Tahani Al Jamil" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Chidi (William Jackson Harper) begins formally teaching Eleanor (Kristen Bell) about ethics, and lesson No. 1 is: be kind to your neighbor. Michael (Ted Danson) and Janet (D'Arcy Carden) help Chidi find a new, exciting hobby.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
Henry Danger - "Scream Machine" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Charlotte's invention for The Gizmo Show is accidentally destroyed and then rebuilt, Charlotte worries that the attention she gets could expose Kid Danger and Captain Man's secret identity.
Game Shakers - "The Very Old Finger" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Game Shakers visit a mummy exhibit to get ideas for a new game they're working on. Hudson accidentally snaps off one of its fingers. Babe leads a quest to glue it back on without getting caught.
School of Rock - "With or Without You" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Lawrence tries to prove his value to the group by taking over the production of their first recording, but his methods create a rift in the band. Guest Star: Brec Bassinger
Sunday, October 2
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Catch Mindy on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Watch Mindy on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) - Kumail appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) and Brendon Small (Home Movies) - Steve and Brendon are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Champs/Hiller and Diller) - Kevin stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kenan Thompson (Kenan & Kel) - Kenan drops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Chris Gethard (Broad City) - Chris chats about the play Career Suicide on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Abigail Spencer (Burning Love) - Abigail talks about Timeless on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 2pm. She is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Rob Riggle (Golan the Insatiable) - Rob talks about Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso talks how many America's Funniest Home Videos get submitted and the funny home videos he wants to submit with his family on People Now at 8:30am.
- Jennifer Esposito (Samantha Who?/Spin City) - Jennifer is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Sara Rue (Impastor/Less Than Perfect) - Sara appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jay Ellis (Insecure/The Game) - Jay is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.