Thursday, March 10, 2016
Following four consecutive years of growth, driven by an increasingly aggressive original programming slate and new youthful brand refresh, GSN introduced at its upfront presentation in New York City a slate of new innovative and original greenlit series, specials and pilots. The announcement of new programming follows GSN's most-watched year ever (2015), a year in which the network also added more than 16.5 million new viewers to its air. Additionally, the popularity of the network's skill-based, competitive entertainment shows provided the perfect, organic platform to bolster its social media strategy, with GSN originals enjoying more than 18 million social engagements. Over the past three years, GSN has more than doubled its original programming output, and is introducing another creative slate of originals in 2016. The network will also add a second screen participation aspect to selected original programming later this year. This real-time platform will engage viewers and connect them with the content, allowing them, through their second screen devices, to interact directly with the show and play along in real time.
The executives were joined by GSN talent, including Rebecca Romijn, host and executive producer of hit series Skin Wars; master of transformation RuPaul Charles, who serves as judge on Skin Wars and will now host and executive produce the new spinoff, Skin Wars: Fresh Paint; comedian and actor Donald Faison (Scrubs), host of the new Winsanity; comedian Ben Gleib, host and executive producer of GSN's hit series Idiotest and new spinoff Political Idiotest; and Jen and Sylvia Soska, aka the Twisted Twins, who serve as masterminds behind the scenes on the horror-themed game show Hellevator, returning for a second season.
Going into detail about the Faison series, Winsanity is GSN's latest innovation on the play along game show format. Each half-hour episode features a contestant attempting to rank ten compelling and surprising facts in numerical order, from highest to lowest (i.e.: Which is greater: the number of times a man thinks about sex in a day, or the number of words a woman speaks in a day?). Every time a contestant is correct and wins a prize, so does a randomly selected portion of the studio audience. However, if a contestant gives a wrong answer at any point, they, and the audience lose everything, and a new contestant takes his or her place and continues the game, trying to win prizes that increase in value with each round. Hosted by comedian and actor Donald Faison (Clueless, Scrubs), the series has a 40-episode order.
Syfy and The Asylum announced that Ian Ziering (Beverly Hills, 90210) will slay again in Sharknado 4 (working title), reprising his role as shark-fighting hero Fin Shepard, while Tara Reid (American Pie) is set to return as April Wexler to reveal the outcome of the fan-voted #AprilLives or #AprilDies social campaign. The fourth addition to the hit global franchise also sees the return of David Hasselhoff (Baywatch) as Gil Shepard and Ryan Newman (See Dad Run) as Claudia Shepard. Set to premiere on Syfy this July, Sharknado 4 (wt) will take place five years after the East Coast was ravaged in Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! Fin, his family and the cosmos have been blissfully sharknado-free in the intervening years, but now sharks - and 'nados! - are being whipped up in places (and ways) least expected...
Joining the franchise for Sharknado 4 are:
· Gary Busey (Lethal Weapon, Celebrity Apprentice), as Wilford Wexler, April's father and a lead scientist at Astro-X. He's at the forefront of advances in the field of robotics.
· Tommy Davidson (Black Dynamite, In Living Color), as Aston Reynolds, playboy tech billionaire. Aston is the CEO of tech company Astro-X, developers of a revolutionary energy system that can stabilize the atmosphere and prevent the formation of tornadoes.
· Imani Hakim (Everybody Hates Chris), as Gabrielle, Matt's best friend and a fellow soldier. Gabrielle is tough and no-nonsense, can take care of herself and isn't afraid to show what she's capable of doing.
· Cody Linley (Hannah Montana, Melissa & Joey), as Matt, Fin and April's eldest son. After surviving the first Sharknado, Matt finished flight school and joined the Army. He's experienced the events of the last six years from afar and longs to reunite with his American Hero father.
· Masiela Lusha (George Lopez), as Gemini, Fin's cousin. Ever resourceful, Gemini is chock full of shark-busting attitude and is ready to dive into the fight once the sharks hit the fan.
· Cheryl Tiegs (The Apprentice), as Raye, Fin's mother and Col. Gil Shepard's ex-wife. Raye is a little bit of a former flower child, but not afraid to speak her mind or protect her family.
Currently filming, Sharknado 4 (wt) will include a plethora of additional outrageous and surprising cameos to be announced soon. Stay tuned...
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.