Thursday, March 10, 2016
Following four consecutive years of growth, driven by an increasingly aggressive original programming slate and new youthful brand refresh, GSN introduced at its upfront presentation in New York City a slate of new innovative and original greenlit series, specials and pilots. The announcement of new programming follows GSN's most-watched year ever (2015), a year in which the network also added more than 16.5 million new viewers to its air. Additionally, the popularity of the network's skill-based, competitive entertainment shows provided the perfect, organic platform to bolster its social media strategy, with GSN originals enjoying more than 18 million social engagements. Over the past three years, GSN has more than doubled its original programming output, and is introducing another creative slate of originals in 2016. The network will also add a second screen participation aspect to selected original programming later this year. This real-time platform will engage viewers and connect them with the content, allowing them, through their second screen devices, to interact directly with the show and play along in real time.
The executives were joined by GSN talent, including Rebecca Romijn, host and executive producer of hit series Skin Wars; master of transformation RuPaul Charles, who serves as judge on Skin Wars and will now host and executive produce the new spinoff, Skin Wars: Fresh Paint; comedian and actor Donald Faison (Scrubs), host of the new Winsanity; comedian Ben Gleib, host and executive producer of GSN's hit series Idiotest and new spinoff Political Idiotest; and Jen and Sylvia Soska, aka the Twisted Twins, who serve as masterminds behind the scenes on the horror-themed game show Hellevator, returning for a second season.
Going into detail about the Faison series, Winsanity is GSN's latest innovation on the play along game show format. Each half-hour episode features a contestant attempting to rank ten compelling and surprising facts in numerical order, from highest to lowest (i.e.: Which is greater: the number of times a man thinks about sex in a day, or the number of words a woman speaks in a day?). Every time a contestant is correct and wins a prize, so does a randomly selected portion of the studio audience. However, if a contestant gives a wrong answer at any point, they, and the audience lose everything, and a new contestant takes his or her place and continues the game, trying to win prizes that increase in value with each round. Hosted by comedian and actor Donald Faison (Clueless, Scrubs), the series has a 40-episode order.
Syfy and The Asylum announced that Ian Ziering (Beverly Hills, 90210) will slay again in Sharknado 4 (working title), reprising his role as shark-fighting hero Fin Shepard, while Tara Reid (American Pie) is set to return as April Wexler to reveal the outcome of the fan-voted #AprilLives or #AprilDies social campaign. The fourth addition to the hit global franchise also sees the return of David Hasselhoff (Baywatch) as Gil Shepard and Ryan Newman (See Dad Run) as Claudia Shepard. Set to premiere on Syfy this July, Sharknado 4 (wt) will take place five years after the East Coast was ravaged in Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! Fin, his family and the cosmos have been blissfully sharknado-free in the intervening years, but now sharks - and 'nados! - are being whipped up in places (and ways) least expected...
Joining the franchise for Sharknado 4 are:
· Gary Busey (Lethal Weapon, Celebrity Apprentice), as Wilford Wexler, April's father and a lead scientist at Astro-X. He's at the forefront of advances in the field of robotics.
· Tommy Davidson (Black Dynamite, In Living Color), as Aston Reynolds, playboy tech billionaire. Aston is the CEO of tech company Astro-X, developers of a revolutionary energy system that can stabilize the atmosphere and prevent the formation of tornadoes.
· Imani Hakim (Everybody Hates Chris), as Gabrielle, Matt's best friend and a fellow soldier. Gabrielle is tough and no-nonsense, can take care of herself and isn't afraid to show what she's capable of doing.
· Cody Linley (Hannah Montana, Melissa & Joey), as Matt, Fin and April's eldest son. After surviving the first Sharknado, Matt finished flight school and joined the Army. He's experienced the events of the last six years from afar and longs to reunite with his American Hero father.
· Masiela Lusha (George Lopez), as Gemini, Fin's cousin. Ever resourceful, Gemini is chock full of shark-busting attitude and is ready to dive into the fight once the sharks hit the fan.
· Cheryl Tiegs (The Apprentice), as Raye, Fin's mother and Col. Gil Shepard's ex-wife. Raye is a little bit of a former flower child, but not afraid to speak her mind or protect her family.
Currently filming, Sharknado 4 (wt) will include a plethora of additional outrageous and surprising cameos to be announced soon. Stay tuned...
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, January 16
Kevin Can Wait - "Kevin vs. the Dutch Elm" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Kevin tries to charm his neighbor into giving him permission to cut down one of her trees, he becomes intimidated by her imposing son, Rutger (retired MMA Fighter and UFC Heavyweight Champion Bas Rutten), and invites them over for a non-existent party.
Man with a Plan - "A Dinner Gone Wrong" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Andi and Marcy realize they were rivals in high school, Adam and Don are dragged into the feud and forced to take sides.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Stalking Dead" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Max and Caroline get their big break when they’re cast as zombie extras after they finally arrive at the movie set in Texas where Randy is working. Back at home, Han and Oleg try their hand at construction after they fire the contractor working on the dessert bar. Beth Littleford guest stars as Bonnie, the assistant director of the zombie movie.
The Odd Couple - "Batman vs. The Penguin" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Murph gets Oscar to agree to participate in a regular TV segment where he competes with a penguin at the zoo to predict the winners of hockey games. Also, Emily and Felix take their first steps to becoming just friends. Former professional hockey player Luc Robitaille guest stars as himself.
Monday, January 16
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Watch Michael on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- B.J. Novak (The Office) - B.J. visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- John Hodgman (Married) - John is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Eugene Mirman (Bob's Burgers) - Eugene appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss will be on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Margo Martindale (The Millers) - Margo chats on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Craig Robinson (Mr. Robinson/The Office) - Craig is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael talks about The Founder on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Mario appears on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.