Thursday, January 28, 2016
Writer, director and producer Gary Menteer, who worked on Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Punky Brewster and Family Matters, has died. He died on January 18 at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, California. Mr. Menteer was 76.
Menteer directed episodes of Laverne & Shirley, Punky Brewster, She's the Sheriff, Family Matters and Malcolm & Eddie. He worked as a choreographer on two episodes of Blansky's Beauties and the "Be My Valentine" episode of Happy Days.
His sitcom writing credits included Joanie Loves Chachi, Second Chance, Punky Brewster, On Our Own, Built to Last, Family Matters, Malcolm & Eddie and Eve.
He served as an executive producer for Family Matters from 1990 to 1998. His other producing credits included Blansky's Beauties, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Joanie Loves Chachi, Second Chance, Punky Brewster, On Our Own, and Malcolm & Eddie.
He shared two Emmy nominations for Punky Brewster for Outstanding Children's Program in 1985 and 1986. He was interviewed for the E! True Hollywood Story on Punky Brewster in 2006.
Menteer worked as an actor in his earlier days. He appeared in musical films such as Bye Bye Birdie, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Mary Poppins, Inside Daisy Clover, Finian's Rainbow, Hello, Dolly and Funny Lady. He performed in many musical variety shows such as The Judy Garland Show, The Danny Kaye Show, The Dean Martin Show and The Julie Andrews Hour.
Survivors include his husband, Joe Cvar, and his nephews and nieces David, Lisa, Diana, Lauri and Tara.
Mr. Menteer was a frequent collaborator of Garry Marshall. We thank him for the entertainment he brought us over the years. He will be greatly missed.
After Brett and Michelle nearly reached their breaking points, the season one finale of Togetherness saw Michelle kissing David while Brett was driving to Sacramento to declare his commitment to her. Season two reveals how the evening played out. Meanwhile, Michelle pushes ahead with her charter school plans as Brett looks for artistic inspiration. Following his big acting break, Alex returns from New Orleans reinvigorated. Tina presses herself to figure out what her life should look like. Through it all, this makeshift family continues to face the hilarity and anxieties of everyday life, while proving that they're truly at their best when they're together.
Created by Jay Duplass & Mark Duplass & Steve Zissis, the eight-episode sophomore season of comedy Togetherness debuts Sunday, Feb. 21 from 10:30-11:00 p.m. ET/PT, exclusively on HBO. Blending laughter and pathos, the comedy series follows four adults nearing 40, trying to balance both their relationships and their individual dreams. In addition to writer, director and producer Mark Duplass (The League), who stars as Brett Pierson, the cast of Togetherness includes Melanie Lynskey (Two and a Half Men) as Michelle Pierson, Amanda Peet (Sleeping with Other People) as Tina Morris, Steve Zissis (Baghead) as Alex Pappas and Abby Ryder Fortson (Transparent) as Sophie. Guest stars on the second season of Togetherness include Peter Gallagher (Covert Affairs) as Larry, John Ortiz (HBO's Luck) as David, Joshua Leonard (Bates Motel) as Dudley, Ginger Gonzaga (Ted) as Christy, Emily Althaus (Orange Is the New Black) as Natalie and Katie Aselton (The League) as Anna.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, May 22
Angie Tribeca - "License to Drill" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Geils lands in trouble when he helps a woman investigate whether her husband is having an affair.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Amnesia" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi attempts to cure Josh's amnesia by re-creating the first time they met.
Baby Daddy - "Daddy's Girl" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley is confined to the couch; Ben struggles to answer Emma's questions about her mother.
Monday, May 22
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Bloodline on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Seaton Smith (Mulaney) - Seaton stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nicole Richie (Great News) - Nicole visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/The Parkers) - Kym guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Survivor's Remorse/Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Brenda Strong (The Help/Scorch) - Brenda talks about Supergirl on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss joins Clinton Kelly to whip up a delicious delight on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti performs a jazz song from her new album on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine and Lil Rel Howery (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta and Lil are guests on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Ellie Reed (Girlboss) - Ellie talks about Girlboss on the AOL Build Show at 5pm.