Thursday, January 28, 2016
Writer, director and producer Gary Menteer, who worked on Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Punky Brewster and Family Matters, has died. He died on January 18 at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, California. Mr. Menteer was 76.
Menteer directed episodes of Laverne & Shirley, Punky Brewster, She's the Sheriff, Family Matters and Malcolm & Eddie. He worked as a choreographer on two episodes of Blansky's Beauties and the "Be My Valentine" episode of Happy Days.
His sitcom writing credits included Joanie Loves Chachi, Second Chance, Punky Brewster, On Our Own, Built to Last, Family Matters, Malcolm & Eddie and Eve.
He served as an executive producer for Family Matters from 1990 to 1998. His other producing credits included Blansky's Beauties, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Joanie Loves Chachi, Second Chance, Punky Brewster, On Our Own, and Malcolm & Eddie.
He shared two Emmy nominations for Punky Brewster for Outstanding Children's Program in 1985 and 1986. He was interviewed for the E! True Hollywood Story on Punky Brewster in 2006.
Menteer worked as an actor in his earlier days. He appeared in musical films such as Bye Bye Birdie, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Mary Poppins, Inside Daisy Clover, Finian's Rainbow, Hello, Dolly and Funny Lady. He performed in many musical variety shows such as The Judy Garland Show, The Danny Kaye Show, The Dean Martin Show and The Julie Andrews Hour.
Survivors include his husband, Joe Cvar, and his nephews and nieces David, Lisa, Diana, Lauri and Tara.
Mr. Menteer was a frequent collaborator of Garry Marshall. We thank him for the entertainment he brought us over the years. He will be greatly missed.
After Brett and Michelle nearly reached their breaking points, the season one finale of Togetherness saw Michelle kissing David while Brett was driving to Sacramento to declare his commitment to her. Season two reveals how the evening played out. Meanwhile, Michelle pushes ahead with her charter school plans as Brett looks for artistic inspiration. Following his big acting break, Alex returns from New Orleans reinvigorated. Tina presses herself to figure out what her life should look like. Through it all, this makeshift family continues to face the hilarity and anxieties of everyday life, while proving that they're truly at their best when they're together.
Created by Jay Duplass & Mark Duplass & Steve Zissis, the eight-episode sophomore season of comedy Togetherness debuts Sunday, Feb. 21 from 10:30-11:00 p.m. ET/PT, exclusively on HBO. Blending laughter and pathos, the comedy series follows four adults nearing 40, trying to balance both their relationships and their individual dreams. In addition to writer, director and producer Mark Duplass (The League), who stars as Brett Pierson, the cast of Togetherness includes Melanie Lynskey (Two and a Half Men) as Michelle Pierson, Amanda Peet (Sleeping with Other People) as Tina Morris, Steve Zissis (Baghead) as Alex Pappas and Abby Ryder Fortson (Transparent) as Sophie. Guest stars on the second season of Togetherness include Peter Gallagher (Covert Affairs) as Larry, John Ortiz (HBO's Luck) as David, Joshua Leonard (Bates Motel) as Dudley, Ginger Gonzaga (Ted) as Christy, Emily Althaus (Orange Is the New Black) as Natalie and Katie Aselton (The League) as Anna.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.