Thursday, January 28, 2016
Writer, director and producer Gary Menteer, who worked on Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Punky Brewster and Family Matters, has died. He died on January 18 at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, California. Mr. Menteer was 76.
Menteer directed episodes of Laverne & Shirley, Punky Brewster, She's the Sheriff, Family Matters and Malcolm & Eddie. He worked as a choreographer on two episodes of Blansky's Beauties and the "Be My Valentine" episode of Happy Days.
His sitcom writing credits included Joanie Loves Chachi, Second Chance, Punky Brewster, On Our Own, Built to Last, Family Matters, Malcolm & Eddie and Eve.
He served as an executive producer for Family Matters from 1990 to 1998. His other producing credits included Blansky's Beauties, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Joanie Loves Chachi, Second Chance, Punky Brewster, On Our Own, and Malcolm & Eddie.
He shared two Emmy nominations for Punky Brewster for Outstanding Children's Program in 1985 and 1986. He was interviewed for the E! True Hollywood Story on Punky Brewster in 2006.
Menteer worked as an actor in his earlier days. He appeared in musical films such as Bye Bye Birdie, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Mary Poppins, Inside Daisy Clover, Finian's Rainbow, Hello, Dolly and Funny Lady. He performed in many musical variety shows such as The Judy Garland Show, The Danny Kaye Show, The Dean Martin Show and The Julie Andrews Hour.
Survivors include his husband, Joe Cvar, and his nephews and nieces David, Lisa, Diana, Lauri and Tara.
Mr. Menteer was a frequent collaborator of Garry Marshall. We thank him for the entertainment he brought us over the years. He will be greatly missed.
After Brett and Michelle nearly reached their breaking points, the season one finale of Togetherness saw Michelle kissing David while Brett was driving to Sacramento to declare his commitment to her. Season two reveals how the evening played out. Meanwhile, Michelle pushes ahead with her charter school plans as Brett looks for artistic inspiration. Following his big acting break, Alex returns from New Orleans reinvigorated. Tina presses herself to figure out what her life should look like. Through it all, this makeshift family continues to face the hilarity and anxieties of everyday life, while proving that they're truly at their best when they're together.
Created by Jay Duplass & Mark Duplass & Steve Zissis, the eight-episode sophomore season of comedy Togetherness debuts Sunday, Feb. 21 from 10:30-11:00 p.m. ET/PT, exclusively on HBO. Blending laughter and pathos, the comedy series follows four adults nearing 40, trying to balance both their relationships and their individual dreams. In addition to writer, director and producer Mark Duplass (The League), who stars as Brett Pierson, the cast of Togetherness includes Melanie Lynskey (Two and a Half Men) as Michelle Pierson, Amanda Peet (Sleeping with Other People) as Tina Morris, Steve Zissis (Baghead) as Alex Pappas and Abby Ryder Fortson (Transparent) as Sophie. Guest stars on the second season of Togetherness include Peter Gallagher (Covert Affairs) as Larry, John Ortiz (HBO's Luck) as David, Joshua Leonard (Bates Motel) as Dudley, Ginger Gonzaga (Ted) as Christy, Emily Althaus (Orange Is the New Black) as Natalie and Katie Aselton (The League) as Anna.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, October 23
The Simpsons - "Treehouse of Horror XXVI" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
In an encore of last season’s Halloween episode, Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart, only to reanimate him; Homer wakes up with short-term memory loss; and Lisa, Bart, and Milhouse get super powers from radiation.
Bob's Burgers - "Teen-a-Witch" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
With Halloween quickly approaching, Tina reveals her brilliant idea that will finally win her first place in the annual costume contest. When Tammy steals her idea, Tina is forced to seek the help of Mr. Ambrose, who leads her to alternate and other-worldly methods of winning. Meanwhile, Bob is on a mission to figure out who is stealing his perfectly crafted pumpkins.
The Simpsons - "Trust But Clarify" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Lisa and Bart investigate Krusty’s suspicious new “Krustaceans” candy. Meanwhile, Homer wants a promotion at the nuclear plant and asks Marge to help him dress the part, and news anchor Kent Brockman struggles to find his feet in the changing media world.
Son of Zorn - "A Taste of Zephyria" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After learning how Zephyria is depicted in the media, Zorn attempts to teach Alan about his culture. Meanwhile, Edie wages war with her new neighbors over their talking garden gnome.
Family Guy - "Inside Family Guy" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
FAMILY GUY takes viewers behind the scenes of a regular “FAMILY GUY” production week, with James Woods as the guide. See the ins-and-outs of what goes into the making of a “FAMILY GUY” episode and watch the drama unfold as Peter is replaced and ends up in the office of Fox Television Group Chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman to pitch his very own new series.
The Last Man on Earth - "Five Hoda Kotbs" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
A post-apocalyptic road trip has everyone at war with each other and Gail is really pushed to her breaking point.
Bizaardvark - "Spoiler Alert: Belissa Returns" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Paige and Frankie hit a writing slump and other bad things start happening to them, Paige begins to think they are cursed; Amelia and Dirk are at odds when the lifestyle Diva declutters the Dare Lair.
Sunday, October 23
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.