Saturday, September 05, 2015
SitcomsOnline Digest: Premiere Dates for Fall Series; Hulu Announced Commercial-Free Option; Planned Family Guy DVD Release for September 15 Delayed?
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- You're probably going to want to know when the new season of each of the new and returning series begins, and Deadline has you covered with a list of all of them, with most broadcast network series debuting the week of September 21. (Deadline)
- Hulu has long been mocked for the fact that it competes with commercial-free services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime, yet Hulu places commercials in their series for paid subscribers. But now, there is an option to pay a higher subscription fee to view everything on the service (with the exception of a few ABC series, as well as Grimm, and New Girl) without ads. (CNET)
- The Carmichael Show managed to see an a rare increase in ratings from week 1 to week 2 on NBC, and seems to be sort of a hit (at least by NBC summer sitcom standards)... but with only two more episodes (both airing next week) remaining to measure the ratings, the question that remains is whether or not they would be willing to give it another season to truly test it out. (TV By the Numbers)
- Throughout the summer, late night talk shows on the broadcast networks have been limited to two guys named Jimmy, but on Tuesday night, CBS puts a new (yet already established from cable TV) in the mix: Stephen Colbert. So will it be a big hit in the competition against two guys named Jimmy? (Yahoo)
- NBC's reboot of Coach seemed to be a sure thing when it was announced, but now NBC has abruptly pulled the plug... which likely means that it will show up on Netflix or some other similar service. (Deadline)
- Antenna TV's fall season starts September 14, and while there aren't a whole lot of big changes (aside from new time slots for almost everything), it does include Family Ties, and two much rarer sitcoms: It's About Time and My Mother the Car. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Sometimes, DVD releases tend to fall off of the schedule for unexplained reasons, and we've recently discovered one that may possibly be raising some questions, particularly since it was perhaps THE series to first demonstrate the (now fading) power and dominance of TV-on-DVD (in fact, it weren't for the popularity of the DVDs, the series probably would have ended when it was canceled in 2002): Family Guy - Season Thirteen. It was scheduled for release on September 15, and pre-orders were being taken at one point in time on amazon.com, but they no longer are. While we don't know exactly what happened here, it appears that the date may have been moved to December 8, if we are to believe a pre-order listing from Target (which appears to be the only website currently accepting pre-orders). We aren't completely sure what is going on here, but our best guess is that Fox wanted something to replace the void being left with the lack of Simpsons releases (which invariable came out every December). We'll update when we know more!
- Olive Films promised fans of King of the Hill that they would complete the series by the end of this year, and they weren't kidding. The studio now has King of the Hill - The Complete 13th Season scheduled for October 20, but that isn't all, they will also be releasing it on Blu-ray.
- VEI announced several big releases earlier this year, and they seem to be diving head first into complete series (and attempting to get them all out by the end of this year). This week, they gave some details on their complete series release of Barnaby Jones, due to arrive in November.
- Hotel - The Complete Series will also be arriving from VEI on October 20.
SEPTEMBER 8 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Two (DVD, $44.98): The Andy Samberg sitcom returns to DVD with this release of the second season of the series.
- The Goldbergs - The Complete Second Season (DVD, $45.99): With the third season coming up, Sony gives fans this release of last season
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, February 21
The Middle - "Dental Hijinks" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Frankie tries to get a stubborn Mike to go see Dr. Goodwin to take care of his toothache, Mike convinces the good doctor to leave his tooth alone and tell Frankie that everything was ok. But the two find themselves fabricating a story that’s so ludicrous that they fear Frankie will figure out the truth. Meanwhile, since they are nearing the end of their senior year at college, Axl, Hutch and Kenny decide it’s time to sell the fabled Winnebago; Sue tries her best to let college golf cart driver Tyler know that she likes him; and Brick attempts to write a historic Scottish rap musical – a la “Hamilton” – focusing on the life of Sergeant Charles Stuart MacKenzie.
American Housewife - "The Man Date" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Greg is delighted to finally have made a friend in Westport, fellow history buff Stan (guest star Timothy Omundson), but Katie isn’t as happy, especially since Stan is married to her nemesis, Chloe Brown Mueller (Jessica St. Clair).
Fresh Off the Boat - "The Gloves Are Off" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jessica accidentally befriends Marvin’s ex-wife, Sarah (Heather Locklear), and tries to help her and Honey settle their longstanding rift. Meanwhile, Louis and the boys are on a mission to determine Grandma’s true age in hopes of surprising her with a new, free motorized wheelchair.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Confirmation" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Shannon asks VP Murray to be her godfather leading up to her confirmation, Eileen fears her own relationship with him might be moving too fast. Shannon’s big day also has a surprising effect on Kenny’s relationship when Brett says, “I love you,” sending Kenny into a tailspin. Meanwhile, the return of a hot former babysitter puts Pat and Jimmy at odds when she constantly makes passes at Pat.
New Girl - "Rumsprings" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Jess gets nervous about starting her new position as principal, Nick and Schmidt decide to take her on a relaxing day trip to Solvang, which quickly goes “sideways.” Meanwhile, with Cece’s help, Winston tries to finalize his divorce from Rhonda, but finds that he and Aly are caught in a series of never-ending pranks.
The Mick - "The Baggage" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Mickey’s unwanted suitors team up to thwart her new romance. Meanwhile, Sabrina and Alba teach Ben a lesson in responsibility.
The Detour - "The City" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Robin isn't thrilled about Nate's new job in New York City, but the family heads out from Syracuse anyway.
Teachers - "Brokebitch Mountain" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Ms. Feldman can’t make ends meet on her salary and takes a second job. Ms. Watson notices a romantic spark between two of her second grade students. The Teachers take advantage of Principal Pearson.
Tuesday, February 21
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Catch Tom on a repeat of the 2011 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison talks about Girls and Get Out on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. Finally, she will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Mae Whitman (Arrested Development) - Mae visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. She also talks about Rock Dog on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason talks about The Detour on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 1pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Judd Hirsch (Superior Donuts/Dear John/Taxi) and Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Judd and Jermaine are guests on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/Sparks) - Kym and Kim Gravel help a woman snoop through two bachelors' homes in order to choose which she should date on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Ashley Gerasimovich (The Detour) - Ashley is a guest on Cheddar at 12:15pm. Ashley and Liam Carroll will be on Facebook Live on the TBS Facebook account at approx. 4:00pm. Ashley, Liam, Jason Jones and Natalie Zea will be on Facebook live at approx. 8:00PM EST on the official The Detour Facebook page.