Saturday, August 08, 2015
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots of Norman Lear Classics?; That '70s Show Complete Series Blu-ray in the Works
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- Reboots are all the rage these days, but even we are surprised that there is even talk of rebooting One Day at a Time and Good Times, though these still have a long process to go through before they become a reality (if they even do). (The Interrobang)
- Every week, it seems, there are new updates on something related to Full House or John Stamos. This time, we learn a bit more about the relationship that John Stamos had with the Olsen twins, and is it turns out, it wasn't very pleasant. (Entertainment Weekly)
- Andrew Ridings, who has most recently appeared in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, has been cast in the starring role as Hayden Fox's son in NBC's upcoming Coach reboot. (Deadline)
- Sometimes in sitcoms, characters (particularly children) age a little faster than usual. Now Modern Family is getting into the aging children by recasting the role of Joe. (Deadline)
- Not only is Tracy Morgan recovering from the car accident he was in a little over a year ago, but it now appears that the FXX comedy that was in development before his accident may be rescued, with Morgan in the starring role. (Deadline)
- John Stewart's final episode of The Daily Show did well in the ratings, but it was only the second largest audience for the series, with the largest audience coming for a 2008 episode featuring an interview with Barack Obama. (USA Today)
- I Dream of Jeannie is celebrating 50 years this year, and Antenna TV is giving it a special marathon next month. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- TVShowsOnDVD.com uncovered a bit of a pleasant surprise for fans of Blu-ray sitcoms this week, as they found a preorder listing for That '70s Show - The Complete Series on Blu-ray. It looks as if it will be released November 3.
- It looks like Warner Archive is eager to just complete George Lopez as quickly as possible, with George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season scheduled for August 18. It is also worth noting that the Warner Archive releases, unlike the earlier seasons which were released by Warner Home Video, include the original theme song.
AUGUST 4 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Jeffersons - Season Eight (DVD, $24.97): For those who missed out on the complete series, Shout! has this release.
- Maude - The Complete Second Season (DVD, $24.97): For those who missed out on the complete series, Shout! has this release.
- 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD, $24.98): Getting a bit of a head start on the releases of the previous season of shows returning for a new season, Warner Home Video brings fans this release.
- The Jeff Foxworthy Show - The Complete Series (DVD, $14.98): Sony previously released the entire series of this short-lived sitcom, and now Mill Creek is getting in on re-releasing it.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.