Saturday, August 15, 2015
SitcomsOnline Digest: Even More Reboots of Classic Sitcoms?; New NBC Pilots from Mike Schur and Tina Fey/Robert Carlock
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- In our current era of reboots, everything that is old is new again, whether it is Coach, Full House, Boy Meets World, The X-Files, Twin Peaks, or one of the many others rumored to be rebooted. Now, Will Smith is talking about potentially rebooting The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and the chairman of NBC is talking about rebooting ALF... although we think he is only joking about ALF (or is he?). (Moviehole)
- Even more from that "what's old is new again" department, although these aren't old shows being rebooted but rather shows from the creators of two familiar shows from recent years on NBC: the network has picked up two comedies, one from Parks and Recreation creator Mike Schur and the other from 30 Rock creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Celebrity Apprentice is coming back in the 2016-2017, but not surprisingly, it won't be coming back with Donald Trump as the host, and NBC says they won't budge on bringing him back. (Deadline)
- Sesame Street is changing addresses (sort of) as new episodes move to HBO beginning this fall, although older episodes will continue to air on PBS and the new ones will air on PBS several months after they air on HBO. (New York Times)
- We're not exactly sure when Michael Bolton suddenly became sitcom star material, but he is now part of a sitcom in development at ABC that is being described as a Three's Company style comedy (though we should warn you that usually that the word "style" is often used too loosely when describing these things). (Yahoo!)
- Jimmy Fallon has been a hit when it comes to hosting The Tonight Show, so it should come as no surprise that NBC was eager to sign a contract to keep him on the air through 2021. (New York Times)
- However, Jimmy Fallon will be facing some competition in 2016, as Antenna TV brings back old episodes of Johnny Carson's version of The Tonight Show in January. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Though the remastered episodes appeared on Blu-ray three years ago, those who just want the DVDs can look forward to seeing The Dick Van Dyke - The Complete Remastered Series on November 10.
- TVShowsOnDVD.com is reporting that the complete series of The Wonder Years will hit retailers on October 6, with both the limited edition locker packaging and a standard packaging.
- It looks like Warner Archive is eager to just complete George Lopez as quickly as possible, with George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season scheduled for August 18. It is also worth noting that the Warner Archive releases, unlike the earlier seasons which were released by Warner Home Video, include the original theme song.
AUGUST 18 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.99): Warner Archive continues to fast track this sitcom on DVD, coming just a little over a month after the release of the fourth season and with only one season remaining after this one.
- Mike and Molly - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $24.98): The hit CBS comedy moves forward on DVD.
- Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final Season (DVD, $29.93): Shout! Factory wraps up this classic on DVD, previously released as part of the complete series.
- The Jeff Foxworthy Show - The Complete Series (DVD, $14.98): Sony previously released the entire series of this short-lived sitcom, and now Mill Creek is getting in on re-releasing it.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, March 29
The Goldbergs - "A Night to Remember" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s prom night, and all three Goldberg kids have big plans, which go awry. Barry plans big romantic gestures for Lainey while Erica and Geoff try to go to prom together, but it doesn’t go as planned. Meanwhile, Adam is thrilled when a nerdy but cute junior asks him out, but he is horrified when Beverly gets involved.
Imaginary Mary - "Pilot" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
A fiercely independent career woman, Alice has her life turned upside-down when she meets Ben, a divorced father with three children, and soon falls head-over-heals for him. This triggers more upheaval when the imaginary friend she created as a child, Mary, suddenly reappears as she is nervous to meet Ben’s kids for the first time.
Modern Family - "Five Minutes" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
So much can happen to the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan in five minutes! Mitch and Cam have five minutes to catch a new flight while fighting the effects of sleeping pills they took prematurely. Then at Rainer’s birthday dinner, Haley and Rainer are forced to reevaluate their entire relationship in the five minutes before the birthday cake arrives. Meanwhile, Phil and Claire pay a surprise visit to Alex and are given a five-minute surprise introduction to her new boyfriend. Finally, with only five minutes to catch a movie, Manny has to find the perfect parking space and endure Jay and Gloria’s backseat argument.
black-ish - "Richard Youngsta" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is excited about doing a campaign with a popular rap star but becomes conflicted when Bow and Ruby provide feedback suggesting it plays on stereotypes. Meanwhile, Bow is determined to get the family to stop eating so much take-out food, but realizes the family may be too accustomed to eating whatever they want.
Nobodies - "Mr. First Lady" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
After years toiling away writing on a kids cartoon, “The Fartlemans”, Groundlings Alums Larry, Rachel and Hugh finally get their big break: A chance to pitch their film script “Mr. First Lady” at Paramount.
Lopez - "Leaving Las Vegas" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
George quits his Las Vegas residency, causing big problems. Manolo gets out of jail and introduces his roommate, Hector, to everyone.
Schitt's Creek - "Friends & Family" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Johnny and Moira look for a location for the family portrait; David hosts a soft launch for the new store.
Wednesday, March 29
- Andrew Rannells (Girls/The New Normal) - Watch Andrew on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Paul F. Tompkins (DAG) - Paul is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Milana Vayntrub (Other Space) - Milana appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andy Daly (Review/Eastbound & Down) - Andy appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig is a guest on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- George Lopez (Lopez/George Lopez) - George discusses the second season of Lopez on the AOL Build Show at 5:30pm.