Saturday, August 15, 2015
SitcomsOnline Digest: Even More Reboots of Classic Sitcoms?; New NBC Pilots from Mike Schur and Tina Fey/Robert Carlock
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- In our current era of reboots, everything that is old is new again, whether it is Coach, Full House, Boy Meets World, The X-Files, Twin Peaks, or one of the many others rumored to be rebooted. Now, Will Smith is talking about potentially rebooting The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and the chairman of NBC is talking about rebooting ALF... although we think he is only joking about ALF (or is he?). (Moviehole)
- Even more from that "what's old is new again" department, although these aren't old shows being rebooted but rather shows from the creators of two familiar shows from recent years on NBC: the network has picked up two comedies, one from Parks and Recreation creator Mike Schur and the other from 30 Rock creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Celebrity Apprentice is coming back in the 2016-2017, but not surprisingly, it won't be coming back with Donald Trump as the host, and NBC says they won't budge on bringing him back. (Deadline)
- Sesame Street is changing addresses (sort of) as new episodes move to HBO beginning this fall, although older episodes will continue to air on PBS and the new ones will air on PBS several months after they air on HBO. (New York Times)
- We're not exactly sure when Michael Bolton suddenly became sitcom star material, but he is now part of a sitcom in development at ABC that is being described as a Three's Company style comedy (though we should warn you that usually that the word "style" is often used too loosely when describing these things). (Yahoo!)
- Jimmy Fallon has been a hit when it comes to hosting The Tonight Show, so it should come as no surprise that NBC was eager to sign a contract to keep him on the air through 2021. (New York Times)
- However, Jimmy Fallon will be facing some competition in 2016, as Antenna TV brings back old episodes of Johnny Carson's version of The Tonight Show in January. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Though the remastered episodes appeared on Blu-ray three years ago, those who just want the DVDs can look forward to seeing The Dick Van Dyke - The Complete Remastered Series on November 10.
- TVShowsOnDVD.com is reporting that the complete series of The Wonder Years will hit retailers on October 6, with both the limited edition locker packaging and a standard packaging.
- It looks like Warner Archive is eager to just complete George Lopez as quickly as possible, with George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season scheduled for August 18. It is also worth noting that the Warner Archive releases, unlike the earlier seasons which were released by Warner Home Video, include the original theme song.
AUGUST 18 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.99): Warner Archive continues to fast track this sitcom on DVD, coming just a little over a month after the release of the fourth season and with only one season remaining after this one.
- Mike and Molly - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $24.98): The hit CBS comedy moves forward on DVD.
- Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final Season (DVD, $29.93): Shout! Factory wraps up this classic on DVD, previously released as part of the complete series.
- The Jeff Foxworthy Show - The Complete Series (DVD, $14.98): Sony previously released the entire series of this short-lived sitcom, and now Mill Creek is getting in on re-releasing it.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.