Saturday, August 15, 2015
SitcomsOnline Digest: Even More Reboots of Classic Sitcoms?; New NBC Pilots from Mike Schur and Tina Fey/Robert Carlock
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- In our current era of reboots, everything that is old is new again, whether it is Coach, Full House, Boy Meets World, The X-Files, Twin Peaks, or one of the many others rumored to be rebooted. Now, Will Smith is talking about potentially rebooting The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and the chairman of NBC is talking about rebooting ALF... although we think he is only joking about ALF (or is he?). (Moviehole)
- Even more from that "what's old is new again" department, although these aren't old shows being rebooted but rather shows from the creators of two familiar shows from recent years on NBC: the network has picked up two comedies, one from Parks and Recreation creator Mike Schur and the other from 30 Rock creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Celebrity Apprentice is coming back in the 2016-2017, but not surprisingly, it won't be coming back with Donald Trump as the host, and NBC says they won't budge on bringing him back. (Deadline)
- Sesame Street is changing addresses (sort of) as new episodes move to HBO beginning this fall, although older episodes will continue to air on PBS and the new ones will air on PBS several months after they air on HBO. (New York Times)
- We're not exactly sure when Michael Bolton suddenly became sitcom star material, but he is now part of a sitcom in development at ABC that is being described as a Three's Company style comedy (though we should warn you that usually that the word "style" is often used too loosely when describing these things). (Yahoo!)
- Jimmy Fallon has been a hit when it comes to hosting The Tonight Show, so it should come as no surprise that NBC was eager to sign a contract to keep him on the air through 2021. (New York Times)
- However, Jimmy Fallon will be facing some competition in 2016, as Antenna TV brings back old episodes of Johnny Carson's version of The Tonight Show in January. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Though the remastered episodes appeared on Blu-ray three years ago, those who just want the DVDs can look forward to seeing The Dick Van Dyke - The Complete Remastered Series on November 10.
- TVShowsOnDVD.com is reporting that the complete series of The Wonder Years will hit retailers on October 6, with both the limited edition locker packaging and a standard packaging.
- It looks like Warner Archive is eager to just complete George Lopez as quickly as possible, with George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season scheduled for August 18. It is also worth noting that the Warner Archive releases, unlike the earlier seasons which were released by Warner Home Video, include the original theme song.
AUGUST 18 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.99): Warner Archive continues to fast track this sitcom on DVD, coming just a little over a month after the release of the fourth season and with only one season remaining after this one.
- Mike and Molly - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $24.98): The hit CBS comedy moves forward on DVD.
- Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final Season (DVD, $29.93): Shout! Factory wraps up this classic on DVD, previously released as part of the complete series.
- The Jeff Foxworthy Show - The Complete Series (DVD, $14.98): Sony previously released the entire series of this short-lived sitcom, and now Mill Creek is getting in on re-releasing it.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, April 30
Bob's Burgers - "Like Gene for Chocolate" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Gene learns that the formula for his favorite chocolate has changed, he works with the head of the company in an attempt to remedy the situation. Meanwhile, Bob gets wrapped up in one of Teddy’s less-than-perfect plans.
Bob's Burgers - "Thelma & Louise Except Thelma Is Linda" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
After Louise gets in trouble at school, Linda is forced to meet with Mr. Frond (guest voice David Herman) and potentially could lose her hard-earned position as the Wagstaff bake sale leader. When she finds out that her daughter was actually trying to help another student, Linda is torn between following school policy or her own moral code.
The Simpsons - "Looking for Mr. Goodbart" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bart gets in trouble on Grandparents Day at school and is forced to hang out with Skinner’s mother as punishment. After spending time with various grandmas in the neighborhood, he learns the benefits of hanging out with the elderly, but eventually recognizes the dangers of taking advantage of them. Meanwhile, Peekimon Get has taken over the town of Springfield.
Making History - "Night Cream" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the ever-present threat of losing tenure looming over him, Chris reaches out to John Hancock and Samuel Adams to help spice things up in the classroom in 2017. Meanwhile, Deb's dream of re-opening Chadwick's ice cream parlor is finally coming to fruition, but Dan has a few marketing ideas of his own.
Family Guy - "The Peter Principal" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Peter becomes the temporary principal at the high school, and Meg uses his new power to get even with her bullies. Meanwhile, Brian and Stewie open a bed & breakfast that quickly turns into a brothel.
The Last Man on Earth - "The Big Day" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Tandy and Gail face off in a major disagreement, on which the whole group must weigh in, and Carol is forced to choose a side. Meanwhile, Melissa, Todd and Erica each have major milestone moments.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Jodie Sweetin (Hollywood Darlings/Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.