Saturday, August 15, 2015
SitcomsOnline Digest: Even More Reboots of Classic Sitcoms?; New NBC Pilots from Mike Schur and Tina Fey/Robert Carlock
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- In our current era of reboots, everything that is old is new again, whether it is Coach, Full House, Boy Meets World, The X-Files, Twin Peaks, or one of the many others rumored to be rebooted. Now, Will Smith is talking about potentially rebooting The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and the chairman of NBC is talking about rebooting ALF... although we think he is only joking about ALF (or is he?). (Moviehole)
- Even more from that "what's old is new again" department, although these aren't old shows being rebooted but rather shows from the creators of two familiar shows from recent years on NBC: the network has picked up two comedies, one from Parks and Recreation creator Mike Schur and the other from 30 Rock creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Celebrity Apprentice is coming back in the 2016-2017, but not surprisingly, it won't be coming back with Donald Trump as the host, and NBC says they won't budge on bringing him back. (Deadline)
- Sesame Street is changing addresses (sort of) as new episodes move to HBO beginning this fall, although older episodes will continue to air on PBS and the new ones will air on PBS several months after they air on HBO. (New York Times)
- We're not exactly sure when Michael Bolton suddenly became sitcom star material, but he is now part of a sitcom in development at ABC that is being described as a Three's Company style comedy (though we should warn you that usually that the word "style" is often used too loosely when describing these things). (Yahoo!)
- Jimmy Fallon has been a hit when it comes to hosting The Tonight Show, so it should come as no surprise that NBC was eager to sign a contract to keep him on the air through 2021. (New York Times)
- However, Jimmy Fallon will be facing some competition in 2016, as Antenna TV brings back old episodes of Johnny Carson's version of The Tonight Show in January. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Though the remastered episodes appeared on Blu-ray three years ago, those who just want the DVDs can look forward to seeing The Dick Van Dyke - The Complete Remastered Series on November 10.
- TVShowsOnDVD.com is reporting that the complete series of The Wonder Years will hit retailers on October 6, with both the limited edition locker packaging and a standard packaging.
- It looks like Warner Archive is eager to just complete George Lopez as quickly as possible, with George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season scheduled for August 18. It is also worth noting that the Warner Archive releases, unlike the earlier seasons which were released by Warner Home Video, include the original theme song.
AUGUST 18 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- George Lopez - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.99): Warner Archive continues to fast track this sitcom on DVD, coming just a little over a month after the release of the fourth season and with only one season remaining after this one.
- Mike and Molly - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $24.98): The hit CBS comedy moves forward on DVD.
- Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final Season (DVD, $29.93): Shout! Factory wraps up this classic on DVD, previously released as part of the complete series.
- The Jeff Foxworthy Show - The Complete Series (DVD, $14.98): Sony previously released the entire series of this short-lived sitcom, and now Mill Creek is getting in on re-releasing it.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 20
Kevin Can Wait - "Neighborhood Watch" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Donna’s cousin, Irene (Claire Coffee), comes to visit with her chatty husband, Stuart (Alexander Chaplin), Kevin concocts an elaborate plan to avoid spending time with them by forming a neighborhood watch group with his buddies, including his neighbor, Rootger (Bas Rutten).
Man with a Plan - "Kate's First Date" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Kate is asked out on her first date, Adam can’t curb his overprotective ways. Also, Don enlists Lowell’s help to buy the perfect anniversary gift for Marcy.
Superior Donuts - "Trust Me" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Arthur is reluctant to let Franco make the shop’s bank deposit, Franco accuses his boss of not trusting him. Also, James regrets confiding in Randy after she shares an embarrassing secret about him with other cops at the station.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Jessica Shmessica" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Bobby (Christopher Gorham) invites Caroline to a party to meet his family, she is eager to make a good impression but isn’t prepared for the torch that his mother and sisters still carry for Bobby’s ex-girlfriend. Also, Caroline’s nerves are even more frayed when the diner gang decides to tag along. Guest stars include Nora Dunn as Bobby’s mother, Teresa, and Kerri Kenney-Silver as his sister, Denise.
Monday, February 20
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Watch Jason on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show/A Minute with Stan Hooper) - Norm is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Keke Palmer (Scream Queens/True Jackson, VP) - Keke appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Mike Farrell, Loretta Swit and Jamie Farr (M*A*S*H) - Mike, Loretta and Jamie are guests on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Anne-Marie Johnson (What's Happening Now!!) - Anne-Marie discusses diversity at the Oscars on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Regina Hall (Grandfathered) - Regina appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Louie Anderson (Baskets/The Louie Show/Life with Louie) - Louie is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.