Thursday, July 23, 2015
TV Land's New Original Comedy Hour Starts Strong; Lifetime's Unauthorized Story of 90210 and Melrose Premieres in October
The premieres of TV Land's newest original series premieres boasted impressive numbers, with The Jim Gaffigan Show attracting a gross audience of 3.2 million total viewers on TV Land, Nick at Nite and Comedy Central, and Impastor attracting 1.7 million gross total viewers on TV Land and Nick at Nite (Live+3). The July 15 premiere for both shows, which kicked off at 10 pm on TV Land and Nick at Nite, reached 5.6 million viewers (L+3, 1 min. qualifier, P2+, 6 telecasts, Total US). Compared to channel prime average, The Jim Gaffigan Show premiere on TV Land was up 178%. The Jim Gaffigan Show ranked #5 on Nielsen's Twitter TV rankings for the night. An encore of the series premiere of The Jim Gaffigan Show was telecast on Comedy Central on July 16 and reached 1.1 million viewers (L+3, 1 min. qualifier, P2+, CMDY Cov. Area). The TV Land premiere of Impastor had a +21% increase over channel prime average.
Ah, the 1990s. Sideburns, frosted tips, slap bracelets, fanny packs and, of course, the launch of two shows that made television history -- Beverly Hills, 90210 and Melrose Place. In a Lifetime "throw back-to–back" weekend event, The Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210 Story premieres Saturday, October 3, at 8pm ET/PT and The Unauthorized Melrose Place Story follows on Saturday, October 10, at 8pm ET/PT. The movies are the latest in Lifetime's Unauthorized Story film franchise and revisit two of the decade's most iconic programs and reveal what transpired behind the scenes during the cast members' rise to fame. An international pop culture phenomenon, Beverly Hills, 90210 ruled the '90s television landscape and reigned as the top teen show for nearly a decade during which Jason Priestley, Luke Perry, Shannen Doherty, Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling became household names. The Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210 Story reveals the roller coaster ride behind the show's first four seasons, highlighting the drama between cast members and producers both on and off-set as they journeyed together from near-cancelation to unparalled fame and success.
Launched in 1992 as a companion for Beverly Hills, 90210, Melrose Place quickly became a giant television hit in its own right. Originally designed to be an authentic, grounded look at 20-something life in Los Angeles, the program soon became 90210's soapier, yet equally popular counterpart. The Unauthorized Melrose Place Story highlights the remarkable behind-the-scenes moments that shaped the series including early casting drama, Heather Locklear arriving to "save" Melrose Place, and the actors begging their writers for even wilder storylines to make them fan favorites.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
The Good Place - "Mindy St. Claire" / "Michael's Gambit" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the help of Chidi (William Jackson Harper) and Tahani (Jameela Jamil), Michael (Ted Danson) faces his biggest challenge yet. Meanwhile, Eleanor (Kristen Bell), Jianyu (Manny Jacinto) and Janet (D'Arcy Carden) are faced with a monumental decision.
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) and her friends contemplate their fates in the Good Place.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.