Monday, June 01, 2015
Fox Broadcasting Company (Fox) and Paramount Television announced that film, television and stage actress and singer Keke Palmer (True Jackson, VP, Masters of Sex) will be joining the cast of Grease: Live as the sassy Pink Lady "Marty Maraschino." Palmer will star alongside Julianne Hough (as "Sandy") and Vanessa Hudgens (as "Rizzo"). In addition, Broadway writers Robert Cary (Anything But Love, Ira & Abby) and Jonathan Tolins (Buyer & Cellar, The Last Sunday in June) will write the LIVE television adaptation airing on Sunday, Jan. 31, 2016 from 7:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed on Fox. Palmer began her career with a breakout role in the film Akeelah and The Bee. She later went on to star as the title character in the hit cable sitcom True Jackson, VP, for which she received four NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Program. Palmer most recently made Broadway history as the first African-American and youngest actress to star in Rodgers and Hammerstein's iconic 1957 musical, Cinderella. Other film credits include box office mega-hit Ice Age: Continental Drift, Joyful Noise, Brotherly Love and Imperial Dreams. Her television credits include A Trip to Bountiful, for which she earned an NAACP Image Award nomination for Outstanding Actress in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special; cable miniseries Full Circle; made-for-TV movie CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story; and a six-episode arc on the second season of Masters of Sex. Palmer is set to star as "Zayday Williams" in FOX's comedy-horror series Scream Queens this fall.
In the first-ever university scholarship at UCLA created by and named for a television series, The Big Bang Theory and the Chuck Lorre Family Foundation have established The Big Bang Theory Scholarship Endowment, to support undergraduate students in need of financial aid who are pursuing their higher education in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) at UCLA. With an initial donation from the Chuck Lorre Family Foundation combined with gifts from nearly 50 individuals associated with The Big Bang Theory - including series stars Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar, Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch; executive producers Bill Prady, Steven Molaro; and crew - plus partners such as Warner Bros. Television and CBS, as well as contributions from other industry leaders, The Big Bang Theory Scholarship and Endowment has raised more than $4 million to date.
Twenty (20) Big Bang Theory scholars will be selected for the 2015-16 academic year to receive financial assistance, with an additional five scholars to be added in each future academic year - in perpetuity. The Big Bang Theory Scholarships will be awarded based on financial need to low-income students who have earned admission to UCLA based on academic merit but need additional support to bridge the gap between typical levels of financial aid and the cost of attendance. The inaugural group of scholars will be announced in fall 2015 on the set of The Big Bang Theory. Joining the scholars will be the show's stars, producers, representatives from UCLA and select benefactors. In addition to centering many of its episodes in the worlds of science and technology, The Big Bang Theory enjoys a healthy appreciation and support from the scientific community at large. And the show's connection to UCLA extends beyond the scholarship fund: Series star Mayim Bialik earned a Ph.D. in neuroscience from UCLA, while professor of physics and astronomy David Saltzberg, Ph.D., serves as the show's science consultant.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 29
Superstore - "Back to Work" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy (America Ferrera) tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah (Ben Feldman) attempts to help an unyielding Dina (Lauren Ash) win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo (Nico Santos) discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Earworm Reverberation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon has a revelation when he realizes why a song was stuck in his head. Also, Amy invites Dave (Stephen Merchant) over for dinner despite their previously awkward date, and Wolowitz and Koothrappali become obsessed with a fan of their band, “Footprints on the Moon.”
Kevin Can Wait - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin James stars as a newly retired police officer looking forward to spending carefree, quality time with his wife and three kids, only to find he faces tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.
Better Things - "Woman Is the Something of the Something" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam gets really looked at.
Thursday, September 29
- Judith Light (Transparent/Phenom/Who's the Boss?) - Catch Judith on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Meadows (Son of Zorn/Marry Me/The Michael Richards Show) - Tim appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Go On) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Ken will also be on Harry, so check your local listings.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be) - Holland talks about The Front Page on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Guys with Kids) - Jamie-Lynn is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.