Saturday, May 09, 2015
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Mindy Project Out and Undateable In (And Completely Live) for 2015-2016 Season; VEI Announces Huge Slate of Releases
HIGHLIGHTS FROM SITCOMSONLINE.COM AND AROUND THE WEB
- The Mindy Project is dead on Fox, but it hasn't been knocked out just yet, as Hulu may pick up the series for another season or two. (Hollywood Reporter)
- It isn't completely surprising that NBC renewed the series Undateable for a third season, but what is surprising is the one condition of that renewal: the entire third season will be broadcast live on the east coast. (Entertainment Weekly)
- John Stamos may be about to become a very busy man now that Fox has picked up his sitcom Grandfathered for next season. (Deadline)
- The CW passed on the reboot of Tales From the Darkside, but it looks like some other networks (and Hulu) may be interested. (Deadline)
- Grace Lee Whitney, best known for her role on Star Trek, died this week at the age of 85. (CNN)
- It looks like there won't be an end to The Simpsons anytime soon, as the series has been renewed for two more seasons. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- VEI announced a huge slate of DVDs this week, including (but not limited to) Angie, Cannon, Grace Under Fire, Hotel, The Parkers, and Petrocelli. They are saying that these will be coming later this year, although we anticipate there could be some delays in releasing this huge slate.
- Shout! Factory is moving ahead with their releases of the All in the Family spinoffs, with Maude - The Complete Second Season and The Jeffersons - The Complete Eighth Season on August 11.
RECENT REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE.COM
- Wanda at Large - The Complete First Season: Warner Archive brings the very short first season of this series to DVD in this single disc release. It is a very basic release that contains the six episodes of the first season, but there are no real problems with the DVD.
MAY 12 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Bob's Burgers - The Complete 4th Season (DVD, $29.95): The series that managed to become a staple on the Sunday night Fox lineup returns for another season as a MOD release.
- Mister Ed - The Final Season (DVD, $16.97): The short sixth (and final) season of the series about a talking horse arrives on DVD in this release.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 29
Superstore - "Back to Work" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy (America Ferrera) tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah (Ben Feldman) attempts to help an unyielding Dina (Lauren Ash) win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo (Nico Santos) discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Earworm Reverberation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon has a revelation when he realizes why a song was stuck in his head. Also, Amy invites Dave (Stephen Merchant) over for dinner despite their previously awkward date, and Wolowitz and Koothrappali become obsessed with a fan of their band, “Footprints on the Moon.”
Kevin Can Wait - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin James stars as a newly retired police officer looking forward to spending carefree, quality time with his wife and three kids, only to find he faces tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.
Better Things - "Woman Is the Something of the Something" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam gets really looked at.
Thursday, September 29
- Judith Light (Transparent/Phenom/Who's the Boss?) - Catch Judith on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Meadows (Son of Zorn/Marry Me/The Michael Richards Show) - Tim appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Go On) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Ken will also be on Harry, so check your local listings.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be) - Holland talks about The Front Page on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Guys with Kids) - Jamie-Lynn is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.