Wednesday, January 08, 2014
Fox Broadcasting Company (Fox) has given a 13-episode series order to Backstrom, a one-hour drama from 20th Century Fox Television, based on renowned Swedish criminologist and novelist Leif G.W. Persson's hit series of books of the same name. Created and executive-produced by Hart Hanson (Bones, The Finder), the series centers on Detective Everett Backstrom (three-time Emmy Award nominee Rainn Wilson, The Office), an offensive, irascible detective, as he tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior. Throughout the series, Backstrom leads his team, the Serious Crimes Unit, as they navigate Portland's most sensitive cases. Hanson serves as executive producer on the series with Persson and Niclas Salomonsson. Emmy Award-nominated director Mark Mylod (Entourage, Shameless, Ali G Indahouse) served as director and executive producer on the pilot. Production is scheduled to begin in early 2014. The series will air in the 2014-15 TV season. In the pilot episode, after the apparent suicide of a Senator's son is ruled a homicide, the Portland Police Bureau's Serious Crime Unit, led by Detective Backstrom (Wilson) must solve the case. Following the team's arrival on the scene, forensics expert Sergeant Peter Nierdermayer (Kristoffer Polaha, Ringer, Life Unexpected) verifies that the death was indeed a homicide. This starts the trail for Backstrom and his team: Detective Nicole Gravely, Detective Sergeant John Almond (Dennis Haysbert, The Unit, 24), uniformed officer Frank Moto (Page Kennedy, Weeds, S.W.A.T.) and the tech-savvy Nadia Paquet (Beatrice Rosen, The Dark Knight, Cuts). Together, they must follow leads, while trying to maintain a low profile in this highly scrutinized case.
To kick off the fifth season of Cougar Town, which premiered last night (Tuesday) on TBS, the hit series has partnered with Pinot's Palette, pioneer of the upscale social art and wine experience, on an unprecedented promotion bringing fans closer than ever to their favorite characters...wine included. The new partnership will offer Cougar Town viewers and Pinot's Palette fans a chance attend exclusive painting parties by utilizing a Pinot's Palette code that will be posted on the Cougar Town Facebook page. These exclusive parties will feature a Cougar Town inspired painting and guests in select markets will also receive special co-branded merchandise. Pinot's Palette will also extend the Cougar Town celebration through the month of January with Cougar Town themed public painting parties in various markets. The series airs Tuesdays at 10:00pm on TBS!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, January 16
Kevin Can Wait - "Kevin vs. the Dutch Elm" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Kevin tries to charm his neighbor into giving him permission to cut down one of her trees, he becomes intimidated by her imposing son, Rutger (retired MMA Fighter and UFC Heavyweight Champion Bas Rutten), and invites them over for a non-existent party.
Man with a Plan - "A Dinner Gone Wrong" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Andi and Marcy realize they were rivals in high school, Adam and Don are dragged into the feud and forced to take sides.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Stalking Dead" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Max and Caroline get their big break when they’re cast as zombie extras after they finally arrive at the movie set in Texas where Randy is working. Back at home, Han and Oleg try their hand at construction after they fire the contractor working on the dessert bar. Beth Littleford guest stars as Bonnie, the assistant director of the zombie movie.
The Odd Couple - "Batman vs. The Penguin" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Murph gets Oscar to agree to participate in a regular TV segment where he competes with a penguin at the zoo to predict the winners of hockey games. Also, Emily and Felix take their first steps to becoming just friends. Former professional hockey player Luc Robitaille guest stars as himself.
Monday, January 16
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Watch Michael on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- B.J. Novak (The Office) - B.J. visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- John Hodgman (Married) - John is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Eugene Mirman (Bob's Burgers) - Eugene appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss will be on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Margo Martindale (The Millers) - Margo chats on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Craig Robinson (Mr. Robinson/The Office) - Craig is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael talks about The Founder on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Mario appears on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.