Thursday, January 09, 2014
TBS Orders Season 2 of Pete Holmes Show; MeTV Pays Tribute to Character Actor; Local NY Reporter on The Crazy Ones
TBS has renewed its new late-night series The Pete Holmes Show, which enjoyed a seven week run at the end of 2013. TBS has ordered an additional 13 weeks of the series starring popular comedian Pete Holmes and produced by Conaco LLC, the company behind the late-night hit Conan. New episodes of The Pete Holmes Show are set to launch Feb. 24 and will air Monday-Thursday nights at midnight (ET/PT), following Conan at 11. The Pete Holmes Show is produced for TBS by Conaco LLC, with Jeff Ross, David Kissinger, Nick Bernstein, Dave Rath and Conan O'Brien serving as executive producers. Taped before a live studio audience, the series showcases Pete's wide-ranging comedic skill set, which led him to be named one of Variety's "Top 10 Comics to Watch." The show packs live comedy, sketches and video pieces into a fast-paced half hour. The Pete Holmes Show has averaged nearly half a million viewers since its premiere, with a remarkably young median age of only 36. The show has quickly made a name for itself in the social media realm, with its viral videos like the X-Men parodies and interviews with Olympian Lolo Jones and NBA all star James Harden amassing more than 20 million views on YouTube and Pete Holmes.com. In addition, Pete and the show have also amassed nearly 300,000 fans through social media.
Canadian character actor Larry D. Mann, who guest starred in many sitcoms, has died. He died of natural causes on January 6 in Los Angeles. Mr. Mann was 91.
Mann had a regular role as Marty Warren, Jerry Webster's (Jerry Van Dyke) friend and lawyer, in the 1967-68 NBC sitcom Accidental Family. His many sitcom guest appearances included My Favorite Martian, Get Smart, Rango, Hey Landlord, He & She, Hogan's Heroes, Bewitched, Green Acres and The New Leave it to Beaver. He was also in The Sting as the train conductor/poker game dealer. He was the voice of Yukon Cornelius in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
The MeTV Network is paying tribute to the late character actor Larry D. Mann. MeTV will be airing the Hogan's Heroes episode "The Reluctant Target" in which he guest starred tonight (Thursday) at 9|8c. He has appeared on many other shows MeTV airs including Columbo, Night Gallery, Gunsmoke, Get Smart, Bonanza, Ironside, Dragnet, Love American Style, The Big Valley and Honey West.
And finally, WCBS2-NY's Kristine Johnson will appear as a guest star on the CBS sitcom The Crazy Ones tonight at 9|8c on CBS. Kristine plays a reporter covering a PR disaster at a big company represented by Simon (Robin Williams) and Sydney's (Sarah Michelle Gellar) advertising agency.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February)
02/16 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series
02/16 - The Brady Kids - The Complete Animated Series
02/16 - Girls - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
02/16 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Complete Series
02/16 - Togetherness - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 10
The Middle - "Film, Friends and Fruit Pies" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
While Frankie and Mike try to figure out which household appliance a piece of plastic belongs to, Brick becomes a tyrannical director when he casts Cindy and Troy to re-enact scenes from “Knots Landing” for a school project; Sue’s excitement over having new friend Lexie become her college dorm roommate quickly sours when she finds herself being charged for half of the new things that Lexie is spontaneously buying for the room; and Axl finds himself becoming stressed out when his boss (Alan Ruck) befriends him and tells him that the fruit pie division is on the verge of being shut down.
The Goldbergs - "Lainey Loves Lionel" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Beverly forbids Adam to see the R-rated movie “Porky’s,” so Murray pushes him to break the rules. But the plan backfires when Beverly forbids Adam to use the phone for Valentine’s Day. As a result, he takes the rule breaking to a whole new level. Meanwhile, Barry tries too hard to impress Lainey for the holiday using the legendary music of Lionel Ritchie.
Modern Family - "Clean for a Day" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Before Claire officially takes over Jay’s closet business, she decides she must get the house in order and make the family clean out the clutter; unfortunately, Phil and Luke can’t bear to part with anything, and Alex digs up old feelings when she finds Sanjay’s sweatshirt. Newly into retirement, Jay decides to get a new hobby – piloting a plane – but the danger puts Cameron into a tailspin of worry. And elsewhere, Gloria wants to connect with Jay more and decides to pick up his favorite game of golf, and ropes Mitchell into teaching her.
black-ish - "Sink or Swim" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Dre notices that his neighbor Janine has never invited his family to any of her pool parties, he assumes she is racially stereotyping them as a family that doesn’t swim. The kids are shocked to find out that, in fact, Dre doesn’t know how to swim. At work, Dre shares the story with his colleagues, and Daphne Lido is not convinced it’s a race thing, so Dre confronts Janine directly. Meanwhile, Jack and Diane are a part of the Girls’ and Boys’ Rovers Organization, and they envy each other’s activities.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Booth Babes" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Max and Caroline sign up to be “booth babes” in order to get into a huge gaming convention for free. Once inside, they’re shocked to see that Han’s friend has created video game characters based on them, and demand compensation.
Mike & Molly - "The Good Wife" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Molly’s leisure activities between novels become an issue with Mike as he wants her to be the perfect homemaker.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Coachella" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi brings her food truck to an outdoor music festival; miserable Sofia seeks new company.
Baby Daddy - "Reinventing the Wheeler" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Ben feels it is time to settle down; Danny's sleeping troubles affect his hockey performance.
Younger - "Un-Jaded" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
When their first author proves to be more trouble than she’s worth, Liza and Kelsey worry their imprint might be over before it ever gets started.
Teachers - "Jacob" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Ms. Watson deals with the fact that her ex may have moved on; Ms. Cannon tries to put a stop to teacher cliques.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "Being Frank" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
A day in the life of Frank Reynold's as he tries to keep up with the gang's newest scheme.
Man Seeking Woman - "Honey" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Josh tries to prove to Rosa (Rosa Salazar) that he's a better option than her current boyfriend (Fred Armisen).
Wednesday, February 10
- Zendaya (K.C. Undercover) - Catch Zendaya on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Malin Akerman (Sin City Saints/Trophy Wife) - Malin appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim drops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jason Mantzoukas (The League) - Jason visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Alison Brie (Community) - Alison appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Debi Mazar (Younger/Entourage/Working) - Debi talks about TV Land's Younger on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Charlie Sheen (Anger Management/Two and a Half Men) - Charlie is back to set the record straight about that experimental HIV treatment he tried and responds to the controversial doctor who told him he was cured on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings. He also opens up about a new, game-changing HIV treatment he’s excited about.
- Colton Dunn (Superstore) - Colton is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Deadpool on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore at 11:30pm on Comedy Central..
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/Living with Fran/The Nanny) - Fran is a guest on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City) - Kim talks about her series Sensitive Skin on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Joe Morton (Grady) - Joe is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.