Saturday, December 07, 2013
SitcomsOnline Digest: Regina King Lands Recurring Role in FX Series; Potential I Love Lucy Blu-ray Release
- Regina King, who got her start as a child actress on the series 227, is proving yet again that some child actresses can find success as an adult. It was announced this week that she has landed a recurring role on the FX vampire series The Strain. (TV Guide)
- We've covered Roseanne Barr's Twitter feed in our "Follow Me" segment before, and we even said back then that she isn't shy when it comes to controversy. She demonstrated that yet again this week as she slammed NBC and a female showrunner for a project for NBC that fell through, and says that she is done with network sitcoms for good... but also hinted (we're not sure how serious she is) at her own internet series, stating "My new internet tv sitcom will feature nudity, obscene language, violence politically incorrect analysis & channelling The Immutable Goddess." (Deadline)
- It isn't the first time that somebody has come up with a stage version of The Golden Girls (in drag, no less), but now an Oregon lounge is featuring yet another stage version (with an all male cast) of three of the Christmas episodes of the series every Friday and Saturday through the end of this month. (The Oregonian)
- TV Guide has come up with their list of the 50 greatest TV talk show moments... and you'd be surprised at how many of these you actually remember seeing (or at least seeing parodied elsewhere). (TV Guide)
- MeTV has acquired the series Wonder Woman to add to their rapidly growing library of series. It will debut later this month. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- TVShowsOnDVD.com posted an interesting piece of news on Friday regarding I Love Lucy potentially heading to Blu-ray. According to a recent issue of TV Guide, the first season will be headed to the format early next year. We're not quite sure what to make of this just yet, but we'll be following this very closely.
- Futurama - Volume 8
(DVD, $29.98) and Futurama - Volume 8 (Blu-ray, $39.99): The series with a storied history of being canceled and revived over the past fifteen years returns to DVD for the last episodes ever produced of the series (or, at least the last episodes ever produced for Comedy Central, we think).
- The Game - The Sixth Season ($36.98) - Another season of the Girlfriends spinoff arrives on DVD.
- In the Heat of the Night - Season Four ($24.96) and In the Heat of the Night - Season Five ($24.96): Though the releases won't include all of the episodes of the respective seasons, and we still don't have a season two or three release, these two sets bring more of the classic drama to DVD.
- Highway to Heaven - The Complete Second Season: The classic '80s inspirational drama returns to DVD... but not exactly in the same unedited fashion as the first season was.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.