Saturday, December 07, 2013
SitcomsOnline Digest: Regina King Lands Recurring Role in FX Series; Potential I Love Lucy Blu-ray Release
- Regina King, who got her start as a child actress on the series 227, is proving yet again that some child actresses can find success as an adult. It was announced this week that she has landed a recurring role on the FX vampire series The Strain. (TV Guide)
- We've covered Roseanne Barr's Twitter feed in our "Follow Me" segment before, and we even said back then that she isn't shy when it comes to controversy. She demonstrated that yet again this week as she slammed NBC and a female showrunner for a project for NBC that fell through, and says that she is done with network sitcoms for good... but also hinted (we're not sure how serious she is) at her own internet series, stating "My new internet tv sitcom will feature nudity, obscene language, violence politically incorrect analysis & channelling The Immutable Goddess." (Deadline)
- It isn't the first time that somebody has come up with a stage version of The Golden Girls (in drag, no less), but now an Oregon lounge is featuring yet another stage version (with an all male cast) of three of the Christmas episodes of the series every Friday and Saturday through the end of this month. (The Oregonian)
- TV Guide has come up with their list of the 50 greatest TV talk show moments... and you'd be surprised at how many of these you actually remember seeing (or at least seeing parodied elsewhere). (TV Guide)
- MeTV has acquired the series Wonder Woman to add to their rapidly growing library of series. It will debut later this month. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- TVShowsOnDVD.com posted an interesting piece of news on Friday regarding I Love Lucy potentially heading to Blu-ray. According to a recent issue of TV Guide, the first season will be headed to the format early next year. We're not quite sure what to make of this just yet, but we'll be following this very closely.
- Futurama - Volume 8
(DVD, $29.98) and Futurama - Volume 8 (Blu-ray, $39.99): The series with a storied history of being canceled and revived over the past fifteen years returns to DVD for the last episodes ever produced of the series (or, at least the last episodes ever produced for Comedy Central, we think).
- The Game - The Sixth Season ($36.98) - Another season of the Girlfriends spinoff arrives on DVD.
- In the Heat of the Night - Season Four ($24.96) and In the Heat of the Night - Season Five ($24.96): Though the releases won't include all of the episodes of the respective seasons, and we still don't have a season two or three release, these two sets bring more of the classic drama to DVD.
- Highway to Heaven - The Complete Second Season: The classic '80s inspirational drama returns to DVD... but not exactly in the same unedited fashion as the first season was.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.