Saturday, December 07, 2013
SitcomsOnline Digest: Regina King Lands Recurring Role in FX Series; Potential I Love Lucy Blu-ray Release
- Regina King, who got her start as a child actress on the series 227, is proving yet again that some child actresses can find success as an adult. It was announced this week that she has landed a recurring role on the FX vampire series The Strain. (TV Guide)
- We've covered Roseanne Barr's Twitter feed in our "Follow Me" segment before, and we even said back then that she isn't shy when it comes to controversy. She demonstrated that yet again this week as she slammed NBC and a female showrunner for a project for NBC that fell through, and says that she is done with network sitcoms for good... but also hinted (we're not sure how serious she is) at her own internet series, stating "My new internet tv sitcom will feature nudity, obscene language, violence politically incorrect analysis & channelling The Immutable Goddess." (Deadline)
- It isn't the first time that somebody has come up with a stage version of The Golden Girls (in drag, no less), but now an Oregon lounge is featuring yet another stage version (with an all male cast) of three of the Christmas episodes of the series every Friday and Saturday through the end of this month. (The Oregonian)
- TV Guide has come up with their list of the 50 greatest TV talk show moments... and you'd be surprised at how many of these you actually remember seeing (or at least seeing parodied elsewhere). (TV Guide)
- MeTV has acquired the series Wonder Woman to add to their rapidly growing library of series. It will debut later this month. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- TVShowsOnDVD.com posted an interesting piece of news on Friday regarding I Love Lucy potentially heading to Blu-ray. According to a recent issue of TV Guide, the first season will be headed to the format early next year. We're not quite sure what to make of this just yet, but we'll be following this very closely.
- Futurama - Volume 8
(DVD, $29.98) and Futurama - Volume 8 (Blu-ray, $39.99): The series with a storied history of being canceled and revived over the past fifteen years returns to DVD for the last episodes ever produced of the series (or, at least the last episodes ever produced for Comedy Central, we think).
- The Game - The Sixth Season ($36.98) - Another season of the Girlfriends spinoff arrives on DVD.
- In the Heat of the Night - Season Four ($24.96) and In the Heat of the Night - Season Five ($24.96): Though the releases won't include all of the episodes of the respective seasons, and we still don't have a season two or three release, these two sets bring more of the classic drama to DVD.
- Highway to Heaven - The Complete Second Season: The classic '80s inspirational drama returns to DVD... but not exactly in the same unedited fashion as the first season was.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 29
Superstore - "Back to Work" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy (America Ferrera) tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah (Ben Feldman) attempts to help an unyielding Dina (Lauren Ash) win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo (Nico Santos) discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Earworm Reverberation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon has a revelation when he realizes why a song was stuck in his head. Also, Amy invites Dave (Stephen Merchant) over for dinner despite their previously awkward date, and Wolowitz and Koothrappali become obsessed with a fan of their band, “Footprints on the Moon.”
Kevin Can Wait - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin James stars as a newly retired police officer looking forward to spending carefree, quality time with his wife and three kids, only to find he faces tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.
Better Things - "Woman Is the Something of the Something" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam gets really looked at.
Thursday, September 29
- Judith Light (Transparent/Phenom/Who's the Boss?) - Catch Judith on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Meadows (Son of Zorn/Marry Me/The Michael Richards Show) - Tim appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Go On) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Ken will also be on Harry, so check your local listings.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be) - Holland talks about The Front Page on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Guys with Kids) - Jamie-Lynn is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.