Saturday, December 07, 2013
SitcomsOnline Digest: Regina King Lands Recurring Role in FX Series; Potential I Love Lucy Blu-ray Release
- Regina King, who got her start as a child actress on the series 227, is proving yet again that some child actresses can find success as an adult. It was announced this week that she has landed a recurring role on the FX vampire series The Strain. (TV Guide)
- We've covered Roseanne Barr's Twitter feed in our "Follow Me" segment before, and we even said back then that she isn't shy when it comes to controversy. She demonstrated that yet again this week as she slammed NBC and a female showrunner for a project for NBC that fell through, and says that she is done with network sitcoms for good... but also hinted (we're not sure how serious she is) at her own internet series, stating "My new internet tv sitcom will feature nudity, obscene language, violence politically incorrect analysis & channelling The Immutable Goddess." (Deadline)
- It isn't the first time that somebody has come up with a stage version of The Golden Girls (in drag, no less), but now an Oregon lounge is featuring yet another stage version (with an all male cast) of three of the Christmas episodes of the series every Friday and Saturday through the end of this month. (The Oregonian)
- TV Guide has come up with their list of the 50 greatest TV talk show moments... and you'd be surprised at how many of these you actually remember seeing (or at least seeing parodied elsewhere). (TV Guide)
- MeTV has acquired the series Wonder Woman to add to their rapidly growing library of series. It will debut later this month. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- TVShowsOnDVD.com posted an interesting piece of news on Friday regarding I Love Lucy potentially heading to Blu-ray. According to a recent issue of TV Guide, the first season will be headed to the format early next year. We're not quite sure what to make of this just yet, but we'll be following this very closely.
- Futurama - Volume 8
(DVD, $29.98) and Futurama - Volume 8 (Blu-ray, $39.99): The series with a storied history of being canceled and revived over the past fifteen years returns to DVD for the last episodes ever produced of the series (or, at least the last episodes ever produced for Comedy Central, we think).
- The Game - The Sixth Season ($36.98) - Another season of the Girlfriends spinoff arrives on DVD.
- In the Heat of the Night - Season Four ($24.96) and In the Heat of the Night - Season Five ($24.96): Though the releases won't include all of the episodes of the respective seasons, and we still don't have a season two or three release, these two sets bring more of the classic drama to DVD.
- Highway to Heaven - The Complete Second Season: The classic '80s inspirational drama returns to DVD... but not exactly in the same unedited fashion as the first season was.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.