Monday, July 15, 2013
The Cos is back! Bill Cosby's first television concert special in 30 years, Far From Finished, will air on Comedy Central on Sunday, November 24, 2013. Robert Townsend directed the show, which will be compiled from material that Cosby performed at the Cerritos Performing Arts Center earlier this summer in California. Of course, Bill Cosby Himself aired three decades ago and is considered one of the landmark comedy specials of all time. The Cosby Show was in part an evolution of the "Himself" routines. Commenting on his return to the form, Cosby said, "Because . . . funny is funny." One of America's most beloved comedians of all time, Cosby has captivated generations of fans with his comedy routines, iconic albums and best-selling books such as "Fatherhood." His comedy transcends ages, genders and cultures. Cosby went around television's racial obstacles with "I Spy," becoming the first African American to costar on a weekly, dramatic television series while winning three consecutive Emmys(R). Cosby created and produced the Emmy Award(R)-winning cartoon series Fat Albert and The Cosby Kids, which began airing in the 1970s and was made into a film in 2004. The show, based on Cosby's childhood in Philadelphia, was designed to educate and entertain. Perhaps Cosby's greatest contribution to American entertainment and culture is The Cosby Show, about a close-knit, upper middle income Black family. Cosby has received the Kennedy Center Honors, the Presidential Medal of Freedom (America's highest civilian honor), the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor and the Marian Anderson Award.
Nickelodeon has ordered 20 additional episodes of its top-rated comedy Sam & Cat, raising its first season episode order to a whopping 40 episodes. Sam & Cat is currently the network's number-one live-action series, averaging 3.7 million total viewers since launch. The series airs regularly Saturdays at 8:00 p.m. (ET/PT) on Nickelodeon. The brand-new episodes of Sam & Cat will continue to roll out this year and debut on Nick channels internationally beginning October. Special upcoming guest stars include iconic comedy duo Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams (Laverne & Shirley), in their first appearance in a scripted series in over 30 years, and Sophia Grace and Rosie of The Ellen DeGeneres Show who reprise their roles as troublemakers Gwen and Ruby. Sam & Cat drew over 4.2 million viewers with its series premiere making it the network's biggest live-action debut in three years. Additionally, since its June 8 launch, Sam & Cat is the number-one live-action series on the Nick App, and the most visited page on Nick.com. The premiere episode of the series hit the number-one spot on the iTunes TV episode chart, and all episodes since consistently rank among the top episodes on iTunes. Starring Jennette McCurdy (iCarly's Sam Puckett) and Ariana Grande (Victorious' Cat Valentine), Sam & Cat follows the duo as they become best friends and unlikely roommates who start a babysitting service. The series is created by award-winning executive producer Dan Schneider (fellow Nickeodeon networks series: iCarly, Victorious, Drake & Josh, Zoey 101).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.