Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Boy Meets World Spin-Off Girl Meets World Picked Up to Series by Disney Channel; CBS Fall 2013 Premiere Dates
It's no surprise but finally Disney Channel has ordered Girl Meets World, a comedy series for kids and families from executive producer Michael Jacobs (Boy Meets World), to series! We first mentioned this some months ago when it was just a pilot but now it will be a series! Starring are 11-year-old Rowan Blanchard (Spy Kids All the Time in World in 4D) as the girl -- Riley Matthews -- 14-year-old Sabrina Carpenter (Sofia the First voice cast and a newly signed Hollywood Records recording artist) as her best friend Maya Fox, and Danielle Fishel and Ben Savage reprising the "Cory and Topanga" roles they made famous in ABC's hugely popular sitcom Boy Meets World (1993-2000). Production on the multi-camera series will begin this summer in Los Angeles for a scheduled 2014 premiere on Disney Channel. We'll have much more on exactly when soon. William Daniels, who of course played Mr. Feeny, will appear in the pilot episode and maybe more episodes. Other members of the original Boy Meets World cast could also pop-up on this new series, so stay tuned for more information. Jackée Harry (227, Sister Sister) appears in the pilot episode.
Set in New York City, the new comedy series will tell the wonderfully funny, heartfelt stories that Boy Meets World is renowned for -- only this time from a tween girl's perspective -- as the curious and bright 7th grader, Riley, and her quick-witted friend Maya embark on an unforgettable middle school experience. But their plans for a carefree year will be adjusted slightly under the watchful eyes of Riley's dad who's also a faculty member (and their new History teacher) and Riley's mom who owns a trendy afterschool hangout that specializes in pudding. Teo Halm plays Cory and Topanga's son, Elliott. The series was created by Michael Jacobs (Boy Meets World, Dinosaurs, My Two Dads, Charles In Charge) and April Kelly (Boy Meets World) and is executive-produced by Jacobs. Girl Meets World is from It's A Laugh Productions, Inc. and carries a TV-G parental guideline.
CBS has announced its fall premiere dates already. They are the first network to announce premiere dates so far. CBS will premiere nearly all of its new and returning series during official premiere week (Sept. 23-29, 2013), following the network's Sunday, Sept. 22 broadcast of The 65th Primetime Emmey Awards, which will air live, 8:00-11:00 PM ET/5:00-8:00 PM PT on CBS. The next night, How I Met Your Mother, entering its final season, returns with a special one-hour episode on Monday, Sept. 23 from 8:00-9:00 PM,ET/PT. Freshman comedy We Are Men will premiere a week later on Monday, Sept. 30 at 8:30PM ET/PT. The new comedy Mom premieres Monday, Sept. 23 at 9:30PM ET/PT followed by the freshman drama Hostages at 10:00 PM ET/PT. CBS's new Thursday two-hour comedy block premieres Sept. 26 with the return of The Big Bang Theory at 8:00PM ET/PT, new comedies The Millers at 8:30PM ET/PT and The Crazy Ones at 9:00PM ET/PT) followed by the season premiere of Two and a Half Men at 9:30PM ET/PT. The only series to air prior to the start of the official premiere week is once again Survivor. For the 11th time in the past 12 seasons, Survivor will get an early start to the season when it returns with a special 90-minute premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 18 from 8-9:30pm.
The rest of the fall schedule will feature returning series: 2 Broke Girls on Monday, Sept. 23 at 9; NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles and the new night and time for Person of Interest on Tuesday, Sept. 24; dramas Criminal Minds and CSI on Wednesday, Sept. 25 beginning at 9pm; the season premiere of Elementary on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 10; while Fridays will have Undercover Boss lead off again into the new night and time for Hawaii Five-0 at 9 leading into Blue Bloods at 10 on Sept. 27. Saturdays will still have 48 Hours Mystery at 10 beginning Sept. 28 and on Sundays, the entire line-up remains unchanged and will return Sept. 30 with 60 Minutes, The Amazing Race, The Good Wife and The Mentalist. And one final note, CBS's mid-season drama Intelligence will premiere Monday, Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:00PM ET/PT, as soon as the 13-episode run for Hostages concludes. Stay with us for continued updates and premiere dates for all of the other networks.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.