Saturday, February 11, 2012
Digital Digest: New Amazon Prime Content; Busy May for Shout! Factory; Beavis and Butt-head - Volume Four DVD/Blu-ray Disc Review
BLOG FEATURE REVIEW
Both the DVD and Blu-ray come in very similar (and basic) packaging, using standard cases for their respective formats. On the cover, there is a picture of Beavis and Butt-head with a red background, and nothing more. The back of the case has a photo of both of them on the sofa and a VERY brief description of the set. Inside the case, you'll find the discs, which have a black outline photo of Beavis and Butt-head. The Blu-ray disc only has one disc, but the DVD has two discs, with episodes 1-6 on Disc 1, and episodes 7-12 on Disc 2. The Blu-ray disc also has an insert with the disclaimer that the episodes are presented in their original 4x3 aspect ratio, which we'll discuss a bit more in a minute.
Despite one set being a DVD and the other being a Blu-ray, the menus on each respective set aren't that much different. The main menu has a split screen, with still photos on one side of the screen, and video on the other side of the screen. The theme song plays in the background. The options on the main menu include Play All, Episodes, Special Features (Blu-ray and Disc 2 of the DVD), and Set Up (Blu-ray only). Selecting Episodes will take you to a submenu on the DVD set where you can view four episodes per screen, with two still photo per full episode (one corresponding to each half of the episode). The Blu-ray set isn't much different, except it places these as a pop-up menu over the main menu. Special Features are presented the same way that the episodes are presented on both the DVD and Blu-ray. Set Up, which is only on the Blu-ray set, allows you to turn on English subtitles. Chapters are placed throughout all of the episodes on both sets.
To purchase the DVD release, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 27
Cristela - "Latino 101" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Trent picks Cristela to sit at his table for the trial of a landlord accused of not renting to minorities. But his reason for doing so – to show a minority on the landlord’s side – backfires on him, and Cristela must decide whether to use an advantage she did not earn through hard work. Meanwhile, as Alberto starts bonding with Natalia, Daniela becomes suspicious that perhaps he’s “using Ama to get in good with Cristela.
Cristela - "Great Expectations" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Cristela is tasked with persuading Maddie to improve her work ethic; while Daniela is away on a work trip, Felix must take care of the kids by himself.
Jessie - "Karate Kid-tastrophe" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Emma gets into trouble at school and Jessie is unsure of how to handle it; Luke trains Zuri for her upcoming karate belt test.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets First Date" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Cory agrees to let Lucas take Riley on a date but only if Maya and Farkle go with them as chaperones.
Friday, March 27
- Norm Macdonald (Norm) - Watch Norm on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kevin Hart (The Big House/Undeclared) - Kevin appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) and Niecy Nash (The Soul Man/Getting On/Reno 911!) - Cedric and Niecy are guests on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Laurie Metcalf (The McCartyhs/The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne) - Laurie appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda guest hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) - Jim visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nick Zano (One Big Happy/What I Like About You) - Nick stops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian co-hosts NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Linda Cardellini (The Goode Family/Guys Like Us) - Linda will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.