Saturday, February 11, 2012
Digital Digest: New Amazon Prime Content; Busy May for Shout! Factory; Beavis and Butt-head - Volume Four DVD/Blu-ray Disc Review
BLOG FEATURE REVIEW
Both the DVD and Blu-ray come in very similar (and basic) packaging, using standard cases for their respective formats. On the cover, there is a picture of Beavis and Butt-head with a red background, and nothing more. The back of the case has a photo of both of them on the sofa and a VERY brief description of the set. Inside the case, you'll find the discs, which have a black outline photo of Beavis and Butt-head. The Blu-ray disc only has one disc, but the DVD has two discs, with episodes 1-6 on Disc 1, and episodes 7-12 on Disc 2. The Blu-ray disc also has an insert with the disclaimer that the episodes are presented in their original 4x3 aspect ratio, which we'll discuss a bit more in a minute.
Despite one set being a DVD and the other being a Blu-ray, the menus on each respective set aren't that much different. The main menu has a split screen, with still photos on one side of the screen, and video on the other side of the screen. The theme song plays in the background. The options on the main menu include Play All, Episodes, Special Features (Blu-ray and Disc 2 of the DVD), and Set Up (Blu-ray only). Selecting Episodes will take you to a submenu on the DVD set where you can view four episodes per screen, with two still photo per full episode (one corresponding to each half of the episode). The Blu-ray set isn't much different, except it places these as a pop-up menu over the main menu. Special Features are presented the same way that the episodes are presented on both the DVD and Blu-ray. Set Up, which is only on the Blu-ray set, allows you to turn on English subtitles. Chapters are placed throughout all of the episodes on both sets.
To purchase the DVD release, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Girls - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Seven (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Eight (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Seasons Seven and Eight (Mill Creek)
01/13 - The Big House - The Complete Series
01/13 - Episodes - The Third Season
01/13 - The Facts of Life - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory
01/20 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, January 25
Galavant - "Death After Brunch" and "It's All in the Executions" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
"Death After Brunch" - Thinking about being in a relationship, Isabella wants Galavant to try to impress her parents with attentive small talk, but he’s confident that breaking everyone out of prison will impress them and save them from certain death. Galavant gets his opportunity for a hero moment when King Richard challenges his brother to a duel and needs a champion to fight for him.
"It's All in the Executions" - Galavant enlists King Richard in a plot to kill Kingsley before the duel… but ends with a drunken whimper. Will Gareth kill King Richard in the duel? Will Galavant rescue everyone? Will Madalena find a new “boy toy?” The answers are very different from what you expect.
Mulaney - "Power Moves" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT)
John takes Lou’s advice about how to gain the upper hand with his roommates. Meanwhile, Motif shows Jane how to get her new cat to like her.
The Simpsons - "Blazed and Confused" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Bart faces a tough test at school when he gets a new teacher, Mr. Lassen (guest voice Willem Dafoe), who vows to crush his spirit .
The Simpsons - "The Musk Who Fell to Earth" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When inventor Elon Musk lands in Springfield, he and Homer become fast friends and revolutionize the town’s nuclear plant. But when Musk goes overboard and Mr. Burns wants him removed, Homer must figure out a way to break up with him.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Defense Rests" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Sophia’s (guest star Eva Longoria) job gets in the way of her relationship with Jake, Jake tries to smooth things over with her boss (guest star Chris Parnell). Meanwhile, Wuntch (guest star Kyra Sedgwick) needs Holt’s help for a job recommendation.
Family Guy - "This Little Piggy" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Meg is thrilled to be recruited as a model, but it turns out to be for a very specific type of modeling: the foot-fetish industry. Meanwhile, Brian accompanies Stewie on an open-road adventure when Stewie decides he wants to experience life outside of preschool.
Bob's Burgers - "Late Afternoon in the Garden of Bob and Louise" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
In order to become an accepted member of the Community Garden, Bob must make a deal that results in giving Louise's enemy a job at the restaurant. Father and daughter are at odds and a choice must be made.
Austin & Ally - "Mattress Stores & Music Factories" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Drifting Austin has to work in his parents' mattress store; Ally struggles to keep up with music students; Trish and Dez try to help.
K.C. Undercover - "My Sister From Another Mother...Board" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
K.C. insists that her smart but clumsy brother is ready for the spy world; Craig and Kira introduce a robot disguised as a 10-year-old.
Liv and Maddie - "Upcycle-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Maddie loses her twin charm bracelet; when Liv tries to make her feel guilty, Maddie teaches her a lesson; Parker gets a new older brother and Joey is not pleased.
Monday, January 26
- Louis CK (Louie) - Watch Louis on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin appears on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tony Danza (Taxi/Who's the Boss?) - Tony is a guest on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Alan Alda (M*A*S*H) - Alan visits The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ken Marino (Marry Me/Party Down), John Gemberling (Broad City/Marry Me) and Tymberlee Hill (Marry Me/The Hotwives of Orlando) - Ken, John and Tymberlee are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Amanda Peet (Togetherness/Bent) - Amanda stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin chats on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Bob Saget (Full House/How I Met Your Mother) - Bob is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits The Real, so check your local listings. She also guest-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Mario and his wife Courtney are guests on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York between 7-10am.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal - NeNe talks about the highlights of the SAG Awards on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.