Saturday, December 10, 2011
Digital Digest: Webster DVDs on Shout! Select; Clifford the Big Red Dog - Big Big Collection DVD Review
Now these six discs were each released previously on their own one-disc set, so there isn't actually anything new on this set if you have those DVDs. The six DVDs are: Playtime with Clifford, Happy Birthday Clifford!, Clifford's Schoolhouse, Doghouse Adventures, The New Baby on the Block, and Growing Up With Clifford. So the content from those single disc sets are the same on these discs on this set. We reviewed the last major set for this series back in 2006, that set was five-discs. Earlier this year right here on Digital Digest, we also reviewed a best of set that had six episodes that focused on Clifford and his best buddies.
As for the episodes on this six-disc set, we don't get any first time on DVD episodes since they were released separately already. Each episode is a short episode, since the series had two short episodes per half-hour at around 11-12 minutes. There were other very short shorts like Storytime with Speckle and Clifford's Big Idea. These are in the special features. We will go over what actual episodes are on each disc here:
Disc one - Playtime with Clifford: "Tummy Trouble, "Tie-Dyed Clifford," "Cleo Gets a Cone," "Team Spirit," "Follow the Leader," "Topsy-Turvy Day," "That's Snow Lie," "Led Astray," "Stars in Your Eyes" and "Fair Weather Friend."
Disc two - Happy Birthday Clifford/Puppy Love: "The Best Party Ever," "Clifford's Big Surprise," "Potluck Party Pooper," It's My Party" and "T-Bone, Dog About Town," "Clifford's Big Heart," "Mimi's Back In Town," "The Best Gift."
Disc three - Clifford Tries hist Best/Clifford's Schoolhouse: "Dog Park," "The Big Sleepover," "And Birdy Makes Three," "Clifford's Doggie Reunion" and "Teacher's Pet," "Nobody's Perfect," "Clifford and the Beanstalk," "Get Well."
Disc four - Doghouse Adventures: "Clifford Cleans His Doghouse," "Doggie Garden," "Screaming for Ice Cream," "Jetta's Project," "Then Came Bob," "Clothes Don't Make the Dog," "Limelight Fright," "Clifford's Cookie Craving," "Guess Who's Coming to Birdwell."
Disc five - The New Baby on the Block: "Baby Makes Four," "A Job Well Read," "Who Me, Jealous?," "A Bunny in a Haystack," "Babysitter Blues," "He's Wonderful Mr. Bleakman," "Getting to Know You," and "No Baths For Cleo."
Disc six - Growing Up With Clifford: "Blanket Blues," "Food for Thought," "When I Grow Up," "Fishing Lessons," "Dog for a Day," "Nothing to Fur but Fur Itself," "Another Fine Mess" and "Vaz Goes Down the Tubes.
The packaging is simple and efficient. Lionsgate has given us a keep case with an outer box. Both the outer box and the case have the same artwork. We have Clifford on the cover art with Emily Elizabeth in a blue background. The title of the series and "Big Big Collection" is above that. The back artwork has info on each disc and a list of special features. We also have six episodic stills from the series next to each disc info. When we open the case, there is no artwork on the panels itself--so it is just plain black. The discs are on three black plastic holders that you can flip like a page in a book. Each plastic holder holds two discs, one in the front and one in the back. The discs have the same artwork as they had originally when they were released and all prominently feature Clifford, of course.
The menus are easy to navigate and are also designed well for children. It is as friendly as the previous big collection in 2006. Each disc has a different style, since these sets were released at different times. On each, we have the opening theme song playing in the background. The main menu options on most are Play All, Choose Episode, Audio Features and Big Fun Features. There are just two chapter stops per episode since it is just one mini-episode per episode. Choose Episode option gives us a screenshot and episode title and then we can choose the episode. The Big Fun Features option has a list of the extras like "Speckle Stories" that run 90 seconds each. The Speckle Stories usually run at the end of each episode on PBS, but it is an extra on this set. The Audio Features has it so we can change back and forth between 2.0 English Dolby Digital and 2.0 Spanish Dolby Digital. On some of these menus, we can hear the voice of John Ritter saying to choose the episode or the Big Idea. We also have voices of the other stars on some other discs menu options. It is cool.
The video and audio quality are both great. The video is in 1.33:1 full screen, but it still looks great. The colors are very vivid. It almost looks HD, that's how good the video looks. Some discs look better than others, because these were released at different dates originally. My DVD player upconverts to HD, so it still looks great. The audio is also fine. As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, you can choose either English or Spanish. There is nothing to complain about here. No dust and debris in the video or anything. If you had the six sets previously, you know what I mean.
As for the Big Fun Features. Each disc is different. I'll do over it by disc:
Disc one - Storytime with Speckle (1:14 each): "Speckle and the Hiding Place," "Speckle and the Wishing Star," "Speckle and the Balloon Ride" - Real-Life Doggy Friends (2:07)
Disc two - Clifford's Big Ideas (1:00 each) - "Be Kind," "Be A Good Friend," and "Believe In Yourself" - "Real-Life Doggy Friends (3:05) - Cleo's Groovy Grooming Game
Disc three - Storytime with Speckle (1:14 each): "Speckle and the Old Wagon," "Speckle and the Little Big Snack," "Speckle and the Really Good Book," and "Speckle and the Playful Yard" - Sing-Along (the main theme with words and singing or with words and without singing)
Disc four - Where Did Clifford Hide It? Game - Storytime with Speckle (1:14 each): "Speckle and the Magnificent World," "Speckle and the Great Story," and "Speckle and the Indoor Picnic."
Disc five - Storytime with Speckle (1:14 each): "Speckle and the Really Good Book," "Speckle and the Home Grown Garden," and "Speckle and the Memory Makers" - Help Baby Find Mom Game
Disc six - Storytime with Speckle (1:14 each): "Speckle and the Little Big Snack," "Speckle and the Big Job," and "Speckle and the Best Medicine" - Learn How to Draw Clifford and His Pals
This set is pretty well done even though there is no new content on here. Well it is new if you didn't have these six sets before. I never did, so it is new to me. It is as good as the previous big set from 2006, but I liked that one better. If you have not bought that set already, please buy that and then get this set so you get nearly all the Clifford episodes. The last set, the single-disc set, has episodes never before released on DVD, so that is worth buying, too. Let's hope eventually we get ALL of the episodes on DVD because John Ritter gives the voice of Clifford a new meaning and he was so good at it. He was also nominated for many Daytime Emmy's for this role. Without Christmas just around the corner, red (and green) is the way to go! Preferably big and red. Buy this big big set!
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
CLICK OF THE WEEK
That's all for this week. Until next time, keep it digital!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)
07/07 - Archie Bunker's Place - Season One (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season
07/07 - Married with Children - Season Eleven (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Married with Children - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
07/07 - The Michael J. Fox Show - The Complete First Season
07/07 - Playing House - Season 1
07/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
07/14 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season
07/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites - Season 7
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, July 31
Bunk'd - "Welcome to Camp Kikiwaka" (Disney Channel, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Upon arriving at camp, the Ross kids discover that the camp owner, Gladys, is scarier than the legendary creature haunting the grounds; Gladys' old rivalry with the kids' mom sparks her fury.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Vegas" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Troy and Danny inevitably do something stupid in Las Vegas.
Friday, July 31
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Watch Ed on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Brie Larson (United States of Tara/Raising Dad) - Brie is a guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Carla Gugino (The Brink/Spin City) - Tune in to see Carla on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) - Jim appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Bridgit Mendler (Undateable/Good Luck Charlie) - Bridgit is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- George Lopez (George Lopez/Saint George) - George talks about his movie Spare Parts on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Laurence Fishburne (black-ish) - Laurence appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Rocky Carroll (Roc) - Rocky is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Jesse/Married with Children) - Christina can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM Hits 1.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David dishes on his new book, new music, and new show on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Brooke Burns (Miss Guided/Out of the Blue) - Brooke discusses her upcoming ing Hallmark Movies & Mysteries original Gourmet Detective: A Healthy Place to Die on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Margaret Cho (All-American Girl) - Margaret is a guest on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Michael joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Denis Leary (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/The Job) - Denis is a guest on Popcorn with Peter Travers on ABC News.
- Michael Rosenbaum (Impastor/Breaking In) - Michael will be on People Now.
- Damon Wayans, Jr. (New Girl/Happy Endings) - Damon appears on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.