Tuesday, October 11, 2011
TBS Moves Tyler Perry Sitcoms To Fridays, Big Bang Now Tues-Thurs; TV Guide Magazine Honors 60th Anniversary of I Love Lucy
TBS has also scheduled new Tyler Perry series For Better Or Worse on Friday nights starting Friday, Nov. 25 (Black Friday) at 9:00pm & 9:30pm, as House of Payne will shift to 8-9pm, as Meet the Browns takes a bit of a break. This series is also a half-hour series, but it will be more of a dramedy, as we announced. TBS has ordered a half-hour comedy pilot titled Sullivan and Son, starring popular comedian Steve Byrne and executive-produced by Vince Vaughn (The Break-Up)and Peter Billingsley (Iron Man). The project comes to TBS from Vaughn's Wild West Picture Show Productions and Warner Horizon Television. The pilot is being written by Byrne and executive producer/showrunner Rob Long (Cheers). Set to begin shooting later this year, Sullivan and Son takes place in a popular and legendary neighborhood bar in a working-class neighborhood in Pittsburgh, Penn. Filled with locals and regulars, Sullivan & Son is the unofficial "town hall" to the neighborhood.
In addition to TBS's pilot order for Sullivan and Son, the network recently announced it is moving forward on an untitled half-hour comedy pilot that centers on a family man who quits his day job and returns to the neighborhood where he grew up. There, he reunites with his former best friend. The multi-camera sitcom from Conaco and Warner Horizon Television is being executive-produced by David Kissinger, Conan O'Brien and Jeff Ross, along with the pilot's writers, Ben Wexler, Ross Novie and Jay Rondot. Wexler will also serve as the showrunner for the untitled pilot. TBS has also greenlit a pilot for Men at Work, an ensemble, multi-camera comedy about a recently dumped man whose three best friends help him reinvent his manhood. The project comes to TBS from Sony Pictures Television and executive producers/writers Breckin Meyer and Jamie Tarses. We will let you know if these three multi-camera sitcom pilots make it to a series order, so stay tuned.
The classic sitcom I Love Lucy is turning 60 on Saturday (Oct. 15)! In a one of a kind exhibit, TV Guide Magazine is partnering with The Paley Center for Media to present Loving Lucy, a celebration of 60 years of I Love Lucy and Lucille Ball's Centennial until November 27, 2011 in New York City. It started on Sept. 28. TV Guide Magazine documented Lucille Ball's life in Hollywood like no other magazine, featuring her on more covers than any other star in the magazine's history. Now, in partnership with The Paley Center, they have developed a multi-dimensional exhibit to celebrate the TV icon. TV Guide Magazine Creative Director Jeff Hardy designed the exhibit highlighting the 43 memorable TV Guide Magazine covers and captions for each with additional information from the issue and The Paley Center contributed exclusive footage for specially designed screenings. Loving Lucy takes guests through the history of Lucy and Desi's marriage, the birth of their children, her success with running Desilu, and the challenges of balancing career and home life.
Screenings will include - Classic Lucy & Desi, Eventful Lucy Moments, and additional rare and stunning footage of Lucille Ball through the years. For more information on the exhibit and screening times please visit The Paley Center website. In addition to this remarkable show, a collection of these timeless covers will be available for everyone on Zinio.com for only $3.99!
Tim Allen returns tonight to sitcoms! Watch the premiere of Last Man Standing tonight at 8/7c on ABC!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.