Tuesday, October 11, 2011
TBS Moves Tyler Perry Sitcoms To Fridays, Big Bang Now Tues-Thurs; TV Guide Magazine Honors 60th Anniversary of I Love Lucy
TBS has also scheduled new Tyler Perry series For Better Or Worse on Friday nights starting Friday, Nov. 25 (Black Friday) at 9:00pm & 9:30pm, as House of Payne will shift to 8-9pm, as Meet the Browns takes a bit of a break. This series is also a half-hour series, but it will be more of a dramedy, as we announced. TBS has ordered a half-hour comedy pilot titled Sullivan and Son, starring popular comedian Steve Byrne and executive-produced by Vince Vaughn (The Break-Up)and Peter Billingsley (Iron Man). The project comes to TBS from Vaughn's Wild West Picture Show Productions and Warner Horizon Television. The pilot is being written by Byrne and executive producer/showrunner Rob Long (Cheers). Set to begin shooting later this year, Sullivan and Son takes place in a popular and legendary neighborhood bar in a working-class neighborhood in Pittsburgh, Penn. Filled with locals and regulars, Sullivan & Son is the unofficial "town hall" to the neighborhood.
In addition to TBS's pilot order for Sullivan and Son, the network recently announced it is moving forward on an untitled half-hour comedy pilot that centers on a family man who quits his day job and returns to the neighborhood where he grew up. There, he reunites with his former best friend. The multi-camera sitcom from Conaco and Warner Horizon Television is being executive-produced by David Kissinger, Conan O'Brien and Jeff Ross, along with the pilot's writers, Ben Wexler, Ross Novie and Jay Rondot. Wexler will also serve as the showrunner for the untitled pilot. TBS has also greenlit a pilot for Men at Work, an ensemble, multi-camera comedy about a recently dumped man whose three best friends help him reinvent his manhood. The project comes to TBS from Sony Pictures Television and executive producers/writers Breckin Meyer and Jamie Tarses. We will let you know if these three multi-camera sitcom pilots make it to a series order, so stay tuned.
The classic sitcom I Love Lucy is turning 60 on Saturday (Oct. 15)! In a one of a kind exhibit, TV Guide Magazine is partnering with The Paley Center for Media to present Loving Lucy, a celebration of 60 years of I Love Lucy and Lucille Ball's Centennial until November 27, 2011 in New York City. It started on Sept. 28. TV Guide Magazine documented Lucille Ball's life in Hollywood like no other magazine, featuring her on more covers than any other star in the magazine's history. Now, in partnership with The Paley Center, they have developed a multi-dimensional exhibit to celebrate the TV icon. TV Guide Magazine Creative Director Jeff Hardy designed the exhibit highlighting the 43 memorable TV Guide Magazine covers and captions for each with additional information from the issue and The Paley Center contributed exclusive footage for specially designed screenings. Loving Lucy takes guests through the history of Lucy and Desi's marriage, the birth of their children, her success with running Desilu, and the challenges of balancing career and home life.
Screenings will include - Classic Lucy & Desi, Eventful Lucy Moments, and additional rare and stunning footage of Lucille Ball through the years. For more information on the exhibit and screening times please visit The Paley Center website. In addition to this remarkable show, a collection of these timeless covers will be available for everyone on Zinio.com for only $3.99!
Tim Allen returns tonight to sitcoms! Watch the premiere of Last Man Standing tonight at 8/7c on ABC!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.