Friday, July 15, 2011
Theater Review: Miss Abigail's Guide To Dating, Mating & Marriage; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 18, 2011)
Yesterday we shared our interview with Joyce DeWitt, who is now starring in the off-Broadway comedy Miss Abigail's Guide to Dating, Mating, & Marriage. I went to see this play last Saturday and today I'll share some of my thoughts on this comedy that is hilarious, fun and has a lot of heart. Before I start, I'll give some historical facts. The play actually opened in this location (Sofia's Downstairs Theater on W. 46th Street in New York) in October and starred Eve Plumb as Miss Abigail and Manuel Herrera as her assistant Paco. Now as of last month (June 1), Joyce DeWitt and Mauricio Perez have taken over these roles (Mauricio previously played Paco when the play started in Tampa last year). The play is written by Ken Davenport & Sarah Saltzberg and directed about by Davenport.
Basically the story is about relationship expert Miss Abigail and her assistant Paco giving people out there advice on, as the title says, 'dating, mating & marriage.' The play runs a little less than 90 minutes (no intermission) and it will have you laughing off of your chair. You might even get to get up out of that chair and join DeWitt and Perez on the one-set stage, as the audience gets involved. The audience is involved because they are part of Miss Abigail's class. As you can tell, this comedy is not your average theater experience and it is a refreshing change. It mixes some improv as well since the audience gets to be involved and not everyone is the same, but both DeWitt and Perez are spot-on in this and they make it work. DeWitt told me she almost didn't take this role because of the improv: "I'm a classically trained theater actor, I'm not used to crossing that fourth wall. That was one of the many conversations that I had with the writer, director, producer of the show, Ken Davenport, because you know, it's not my comfort zone. I'm not naturally witty, John (Ritter) was naturally witty, Don (Knotts) was naturally, I'm not. I'm just kind of an actor. It's very new territory for me. I have no background in improv, I have no stand-up background, I'm a classic theater actor. So it took me a couple of weeks to get unscared about doing that, because I'm so used to doing a play." So, DeWitt is a quick-learner or just naturally good, because she was very sharp, witty and had a lot of heart doing the improv with the audience when anyone was called on to the stage.
Moving on, the audience went wild for Perez's one-liners and sharp wit. Even though it is a two-person act, it holds up very well and works with just these two. In the vein of famous duos like Penn & Teller, Lucy & Desi, or Batman & Robin, Miss Abigail & Paco work well with each other as well. Speaking of Batman, there is even a red phone that reminded me of the bat-phone from the '60s series, holy coolness Batman! DeWitt is very charming in this role and it makes you think of her character from Three's Company, as she still has the comedic skills, timing, and her trademark voice.
You even get to go home with some of Miss Abigail's advice that she gives in little cards that she has made for everyone so you don't forget what you have learned. What a teacher! Miss Abigail is a professional relationship expert and she has given advice to celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, who she talks to a lot on the phone. Miss Abigail goes through each stage (dating, mating & marriage) carefully and it is well-done with the help of Paco. Paco also has a secret crush on Miss Abigail, who is older than he is. Miss Abigail is a widow, as her husband Robert passed away, so it is ironic that Miss Abigail can't learn from her own teachings what Paco really thinks. It is sweet and you'll want to know what happens.
It really is a fun experience and if you're in the New York City area, you'll definitely want to check this one out because it is comedy gold with a lot of heart. If you like Three's Company, then you'll like this because it has pure laughter and a lot of heart. You'll be invested in these two characters. Whether you're dating, married, or even single, this comedy is for everyone, because you truly do learn from her and you'll also laugh your pants off while doing it. It's simple, fun, and worth every penny and minute of your time. Go out and buy tickets today and if you still haven't entered our contest, you can win two free tickets to see the show...but the deadline is tonight at 11:59pm ET, so hurry!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of July 18-22, 2011, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, July 18, 2011
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Watch Neil on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show) - Watch Mila on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings and later on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jenna Fischer (Tavis Smiley) - Jenna stops by Tavis Smiley on PBS, but check listings for time.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny McCarthy (Jenny/The Bad Girl's Guide) - Jenny appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve stops by The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jenna Fischer (The Office) - Catch Jenna on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Seth Green (Four Kings/Greg the Bunny) - Watch Seth on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Adrian Grenier, Kevin Connolly, Kevin Dillon, Jerry Ferrara, Jeremy Piven (Entourage) - They talk about their show Entourage on NBC's Today between 7-9am ET/PT.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Watch Jeremy on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose) - Jenna appears on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Breckin Meyer (Inside Schwartz/Married to the Kellys) - Breckin stops by the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve continues to make the rounds on Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11pm.
- John Goodman (Roseanne) - John chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (My Secret Identity/Carpoolers/Do Not Disturb) - Catch Jerry on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan appears on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Tune in to see Brooke on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show) - Watch Mila on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- John Goodman (Roseanne) - Catch John on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kevin Connolly (Entourage/Unhappily Ever After) - Watch Kevin on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy visits LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time) - Valerie is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Miranda Cosgrove (iCarly/Drake & Josh) - Tune in to see Miranda on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Kevin appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, October 23
The Simpsons - "Treehouse of Horror XXVI" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
In an encore of last season’s Halloween episode, Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart, only to reanimate him; Homer wakes up with short-term memory loss; and Lisa, Bart, and Milhouse get super powers from radiation.
Bob's Burgers - "Teen-a-Witch" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
With Halloween quickly approaching, Tina reveals her brilliant idea that will finally win her first place in the annual costume contest. When Tammy steals her idea, Tina is forced to seek the help of Mr. Ambrose, who leads her to alternate and other-worldly methods of winning. Meanwhile, Bob is on a mission to figure out who is stealing his perfectly crafted pumpkins.
The Simpsons - "Trust But Clarify" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Lisa and Bart investigate Krusty’s suspicious new “Krustaceans” candy. Meanwhile, Homer wants a promotion at the nuclear plant and asks Marge to help him dress the part, and news anchor Kent Brockman struggles to find his feet in the changing media world.
Son of Zorn - "A Taste of Zephyria" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After learning how Zephyria is depicted in the media, Zorn attempts to teach Alan about his culture. Meanwhile, Edie wages war with her new neighbors over their talking garden gnome.
Family Guy - "Inside Family Guy" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
FAMILY GUY takes viewers behind the scenes of a regular “FAMILY GUY” production week, with James Woods as the guide. See the ins-and-outs of what goes into the making of a “FAMILY GUY” episode and watch the drama unfold as Peter is replaced and ends up in the office of Fox Television Group Chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman to pitch his very own new series.
The Last Man on Earth - "Five Hoda Kotbs" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
A post-apocalyptic road trip has everyone at war with each other and Gail is really pushed to her breaking point.
Bizaardvark - "Spoiler Alert: Belissa Returns" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Paige and Frankie hit a writing slump and other bad things start happening to them, Paige begins to think they are cursed; Amelia and Dirk are at odds when the lifestyle Diva declutters the Dare Lair.
Sunday, October 23
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.