Friday, July 15, 2011
Theater Review: Miss Abigail's Guide To Dating, Mating & Marriage; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 18, 2011)
Yesterday we shared our interview with Joyce DeWitt, who is now starring in the off-Broadway comedy Miss Abigail's Guide to Dating, Mating, & Marriage. I went to see this play last Saturday and today I'll share some of my thoughts on this comedy that is hilarious, fun and has a lot of heart. Before I start, I'll give some historical facts. The play actually opened in this location (Sofia's Downstairs Theater on W. 46th Street in New York) in October and starred Eve Plumb as Miss Abigail and Manuel Herrera as her assistant Paco. Now as of last month (June 1), Joyce DeWitt and Mauricio Perez have taken over these roles (Mauricio previously played Paco when the play started in Tampa last year). The play is written by Ken Davenport & Sarah Saltzberg and directed about by Davenport.
Basically the story is about relationship expert Miss Abigail and her assistant Paco giving people out there advice on, as the title says, 'dating, mating & marriage.' The play runs a little less than 90 minutes (no intermission) and it will have you laughing off of your chair. You might even get to get up out of that chair and join DeWitt and Perez on the one-set stage, as the audience gets involved. The audience is involved because they are part of Miss Abigail's class. As you can tell, this comedy is not your average theater experience and it is a refreshing change. It mixes some improv as well since the audience gets to be involved and not everyone is the same, but both DeWitt and Perez are spot-on in this and they make it work. DeWitt told me she almost didn't take this role because of the improv: "I'm a classically trained theater actor, I'm not used to crossing that fourth wall. That was one of the many conversations that I had with the writer, director, producer of the show, Ken Davenport, because you know, it's not my comfort zone. I'm not naturally witty, John (Ritter) was naturally witty, Don (Knotts) was naturally, I'm not. I'm just kind of an actor. It's very new territory for me. I have no background in improv, I have no stand-up background, I'm a classic theater actor. So it took me a couple of weeks to get unscared about doing that, because I'm so used to doing a play." So, DeWitt is a quick-learner or just naturally good, because she was very sharp, witty and had a lot of heart doing the improv with the audience when anyone was called on to the stage.
Moving on, the audience went wild for Perez's one-liners and sharp wit. Even though it is a two-person act, it holds up very well and works with just these two. In the vein of famous duos like Penn & Teller, Lucy & Desi, or Batman & Robin, Miss Abigail & Paco work well with each other as well. Speaking of Batman, there is even a red phone that reminded me of the bat-phone from the '60s series, holy coolness Batman! DeWitt is very charming in this role and it makes you think of her character from Three's Company, as she still has the comedic skills, timing, and her trademark voice.
You even get to go home with some of Miss Abigail's advice that she gives in little cards that she has made for everyone so you don't forget what you have learned. What a teacher! Miss Abigail is a professional relationship expert and she has given advice to celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, who she talks to a lot on the phone. Miss Abigail goes through each stage (dating, mating & marriage) carefully and it is well-done with the help of Paco. Paco also has a secret crush on Miss Abigail, who is older than he is. Miss Abigail is a widow, as her husband Robert passed away, so it is ironic that Miss Abigail can't learn from her own teachings what Paco really thinks. It is sweet and you'll want to know what happens.
It really is a fun experience and if you're in the New York City area, you'll definitely want to check this one out because it is comedy gold with a lot of heart. If you like Three's Company, then you'll like this because it has pure laughter and a lot of heart. You'll be invested in these two characters. Whether you're dating, married, or even single, this comedy is for everyone, because you truly do learn from her and you'll also laugh your pants off while doing it. It's simple, fun, and worth every penny and minute of your time. Go out and buy tickets today and if you still haven't entered our contest, you can win two free tickets to see the show...but the deadline is tonight at 11:59pm ET, so hurry!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of July 18-22, 2011, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, July 18, 2011
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Watch Neil on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show) - Watch Mila on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings and later on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jenna Fischer (Tavis Smiley) - Jenna stops by Tavis Smiley on PBS, but check listings for time.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny McCarthy (Jenny/The Bad Girl's Guide) - Jenny appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve stops by The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jenna Fischer (The Office) - Catch Jenna on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Seth Green (Four Kings/Greg the Bunny) - Watch Seth on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Adrian Grenier, Kevin Connolly, Kevin Dillon, Jerry Ferrara, Jeremy Piven (Entourage) - They talk about their show Entourage on NBC's Today between 7-9am ET/PT.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Watch Jeremy on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose) - Jenna appears on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Breckin Meyer (Inside Schwartz/Married to the Kellys) - Breckin stops by the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve continues to make the rounds on Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11pm.
- John Goodman (Roseanne) - John chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (My Secret Identity/Carpoolers/Do Not Disturb) - Catch Jerry on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan appears on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Tune in to see Brooke on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show) - Watch Mila on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- John Goodman (Roseanne) - Catch John on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kevin Connolly (Entourage/Unhappily Ever After) - Watch Kevin on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy visits LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time) - Valerie is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Miranda Cosgrove (iCarly/Drake & Josh) - Tune in to see Miranda on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Kevin appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, April 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Cognition Regeneration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Leonard isn’t thrilled when Penny considers taking a new job offered by her ex-boyfriend, Zack (Brian Thomas Smith).
The Great Indoors - "The Heartbreaker" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack sets up a double date to get Eddie out of a post-divorce rut, but the night gets awkward when they run into Denise (Essence Atkins), Eddie’s ex-wife. Also, when Emma decides to breakup with her boyfriend, Greg (Andy Ridings), Clark is torn between making a move on her and salvaging his friendship with Greg.
Mom - "A Cricket and a Hedge Made of Gold" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Marjorie takes a break from the group, Bonnie becomes the go-to for everyone’s problems, and Christy tries to overcome a painful memory from her past.
Life in Pieces - "Ear Scorn Registry Manuscript" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen goes to Tim for help with an embarrassing ailment, she begs him not to tell the family. Also, Dougie (Fortune Feimster) enlists Joan to help her buy a gift for Matt and Colleen’s wedding; Heather gets jealous when her friends want to include Jen in their mommy group; and Professor Sinclair Wilde (Cary Elwes) encourages Joan to ask her family to read a draft of her book.
Superstore - "Ladies' Lunch" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
During the morning meeting, Glenn (Mark McKinney) accidentally tells the employees the real reason Amy (America Ferrera) has been late to work lately. Meanwhile, Dina (Lauren Ash) tries to cheer up Amy by kidnapping her for a "ladies' lunch." Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) invent a game to pass the time, tricking Glenn and Mateo (Nico Santos) in the process. Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) helps Amy take a fearless step with a dramatic new look.
Superstore - "Cheyenne's Wedding" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
It's Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) and Bo's (recurring guest star Johnny Pemberton) dream wedding, but not everything goes according to plan. Meanwhile, relationships unravel as Amy (America Ferrera) and Jonah (Ben Feldman) dodge relationship rumors. Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to change Jeff's (recurring guest star Michael Bunin) mind after learning of upcoming layoffs, Dina (Lauren Ash) talks her way into the wedding party and Mateo (Nico Santos) dodges Jeff throughout the wedding.
Thursday, April 27
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep/The New Adventures of Old Christine/Seinfeld) - Catch Julia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Benjamin Hickey (The Big C/It's All Relative) - John visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America chats about Superstore on NBC's Today in the 10am hour and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Geoff Stults (Enlisted) - Geoff is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Michael plays Pyramid on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Perrey Reeves (Entourage) - Perrey makes a kale salad on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Geena Davis (The Geena Davis Show/Buffalo Bill) - Geena talks about A League of Their Own on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna talks about Superior Donuts on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Christopher Meloni (Surviving Jack/The Fanelli Boys) - Christopher appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.