Friday, June 10, 2011
Legendary TV producer, director and writer Leonard Stern has died. Stern was a writer and producer for such classic sitcoms such as The Honeymooners, The Phil Silvers Show and Get Smart. While working on The Honeymooners, he helped co-create the classic word game Mad Libs with his partner Roger Price. He died of heart failure on June 7, 2011, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles at the age of 87.
Stern worked on a number of other sitcoms during his many years in the business. He was the creator of I'm Dickens, He's Fenster (1962-63), Run, Buddy, Run (1966-67), He & She (1967-68) and The Governor and J.J. (1969-70). Stern wrote, directed and produced other sitcoms such as Holmes & Yo-Yo, The Good Guys and Operation Petticoat. His work on TV detective dramas included McMillan and Wife and The Snoop Sisters. He was nominated for five Emmy Awards and won two for "Best Comedy Writing - Variety or Situation Comedy" for The Phil Silvers Show and "Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy" for Get Smart with Buck Henry. In addition, he won three Writers Guild of America Awards and a Peabody Award. Earlier in his career, he was a writer on The Steve Allen Show and Steve Allen's The Tonight Show. His film screenplays included Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion, Lost in Alaska, The Jazz Singer, Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town, Three for the Money, Just You and Me, Kid (also directed), Missing Pieces (also directed) and Target.
Our friends at Just My Show did a podcast interview with him back in 2006. You can also watch several video interviews with him at The Archive of American Television. Mr. Stern is survived by his wife of 55 years, actress Gloria Stroock, as well as a son, daughter, two grandchildren, and a great-granddaughter. We thank him for all the laughs he brought us over the years. He will be missed.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of June 13-17, 2011, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, June 13, 2011
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty appears on Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am and later presents a Top Ten List on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Watch Tina on an April repeat of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Catch Jada on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT, on The Joy Behar Show at 10pm on HLN, on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm and finally on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty drops by LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings and later visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran stops by Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am, then chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT and finally on The Joy Behar Show at 10pm on HLN. Happily Divorced premieres on TV Land on June 15.
- John Krasinski (The Office) - Watch John on a May repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Persia White (Girlfriends) - Persia drops by The Mo'nique Show at 11pm on BET.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada continues to make the rounds on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Valerie Bertinelli, Janes Leeves and Wendie Malick - The lovely ladies of Hot in Cleveland visit Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am and then The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kirstie Alley (Cheers/Veronica's Closet) - Watch Kirstie and her Dancing with the Stars partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy on a May repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Coby Bell (The Game) - Coby appears on The Mo'nique Show at 11pm on BET.
- Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Catch Larry on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric is a guest on all-new Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory/8 Simple Rules) - Watch the lovely Kaley on a March repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell) - Tiffani stops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena performs live in New York City's Central Park as part of Good Morning America's summer concert series on ABC between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Watch Christian on a March repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran visits The Gayle King Show at 10am on OWN.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Chris on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, January 24
The Middle - "A Tough Pill to Swallow" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When a devastated Sue discovers that she has been kicked out of college because she forgot to renew her financial aid, Mike tries to come to her rescue and convince a tough college bursar to reinstate her. Meanwhile, having only taken oral liquid medication all of his life, a frustrated Frankie does everything in her power to teach Brick how to swallow a pill when he gets an ear infection; and Hutch becomes angry with Axl after he keeps driving the Winnebago without permission to Orson to visit new girlfriend April – leaving Hutch without any means of transportation to get to class.
American Housewife - "Art Show" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Anna-Kat draws a super plus-sized portrait of Katie for the school art show, Katie sets out to retrieve it by any means necessary. Meanwhile, with Katie away, Doris is left in charge of Oliver and Taylor. She’s determined to whip them into shape with her Tiger Mom skills, but she may have met her match.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Coming From America" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis flies the entire family to Taiwan in an effort to make things right with Gene (Ken Jeong). Upon meeting Gene’s beautiful fiancé, Margaret, and seeing the wonderful life he has built for himself, Louis questions whether his life in Orlando is just as great as it could be in Taiwan. Meanwhile, Jessica takes Eddie, Emery and Evan to her favorite childhood locales, including Dihua Street and Shilin Night Market.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Match" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Jimmy recruits a reluctant Kenny to join his wrestling team for a one-time match, a surprise victory gives him the confidence to join the team full time to become the first, openly gay athlete at St. Barklays. Kenny’s newfound stardom makes Jimmy feel a bit replaced, but when an opponent refuses to wrestle his brother, Jimmy puts his feelings aside and rallies the team around Kenny. Meanwhile, Pat injures his back trying to help Eileen prepare for a weekend getaway, but things only get worse when she tries to be the perfect caregiver to impress VP Murray but fails miserably.
New Girl - "The Hike" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
While on a day hike, Jess and Robby (guest star Nelson Franklin) discover something unexpected about their relationship. Also, Winston throws a surprise welcome home party for Aly (guest star Nasim Pedrad). Meanwhile, Schmidt and Cece fail to impress their new neighbors.
The Mick - "The Master" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
All hell breaks loose, as the kids fight over who will take the master bedroom. Also, Mickey pursues a wealthy businessman who quickly discovers that she is not the prize he thought she was.
Teachers - "Stranger Danger" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
There’s a trespasser at Fillmore and a new security guard is hired. Ms. Snap and Ms. Bennigan hold a “Women Empowering Women” workshop, Mrs. Adler takes stranger danger too far, and Ms. Watson purchases a male safety dummy.
Tuesday, January 24
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Catch Retta on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Claudia O'Doherty (Love) - Claudia is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John talks about Patriots Day on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette visits Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Esposito (Samantha Who?/Spin City) - Jennifer appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina talks about the new Netflix series One Day at a Time on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.