Friday, June 10, 2011
Legendary TV producer, director and writer Leonard Stern has died. Stern was a writer and producer for such classic sitcoms such as The Honeymooners, The Phil Silvers Show and Get Smart. While working on The Honeymooners, he helped co-create the classic word game Mad Libs with his partner Roger Price. He died of heart failure on June 7, 2011, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles at the age of 87.
Stern worked on a number of other sitcoms during his many years in the business. He was the creator of I'm Dickens, He's Fenster (1962-63), Run, Buddy, Run (1966-67), He & She (1967-68) and The Governor and J.J. (1969-70). Stern wrote, directed and produced other sitcoms such as Holmes & Yo-Yo, The Good Guys and Operation Petticoat. His work on TV detective dramas included McMillan and Wife and The Snoop Sisters. He was nominated for five Emmy Awards and won two for "Best Comedy Writing - Variety or Situation Comedy" for The Phil Silvers Show and "Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy" for Get Smart with Buck Henry. In addition, he won three Writers Guild of America Awards and a Peabody Award. Earlier in his career, he was a writer on The Steve Allen Show and Steve Allen's The Tonight Show. His film screenplays included Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion, Lost in Alaska, The Jazz Singer, Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town, Three for the Money, Just You and Me, Kid (also directed), Missing Pieces (also directed) and Target.
Our friends at Just My Show did a podcast interview with him back in 2006. You can also watch several video interviews with him at The Archive of American Television. Mr. Stern is survived by his wife of 55 years, actress Gloria Stroock, as well as a son, daughter, two grandchildren, and a great-granddaughter. We thank him for all the laughs he brought us over the years. He will be missed.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of June 13-17, 2011, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, June 13, 2011
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty appears on Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am and later presents a Top Ten List on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Watch Tina on an April repeat of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Catch Jada on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT, on The Joy Behar Show at 10pm on HLN, on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm and finally on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty drops by LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings and later visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran stops by Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am, then chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT and finally on The Joy Behar Show at 10pm on HLN. Happily Divorced premieres on TV Land on June 15.
- John Krasinski (The Office) - Watch John on a May repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Persia White (Girlfriends) - Persia drops by The Mo'nique Show at 11pm on BET.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada continues to make the rounds on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Valerie Bertinelli, Janes Leeves and Wendie Malick - The lovely ladies of Hot in Cleveland visit Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am and then The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kirstie Alley (Cheers/Veronica's Closet) - Watch Kirstie and her Dancing with the Stars partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy on a May repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Coby Bell (The Game) - Coby appears on The Mo'nique Show at 11pm on BET.
- Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Catch Larry on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric is a guest on all-new Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory/8 Simple Rules) - Watch the lovely Kaley on a March repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell) - Tiffani stops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena performs live in New York City's Central Park as part of Good Morning America's summer concert series on ABC between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Watch Christian on a March repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran visits The Gayle King Show at 10am on OWN.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Chris on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.