Friday, June 10, 2011
Legendary TV producer, director and writer Leonard Stern has died. Stern was a writer and producer for such classic sitcoms such as The Honeymooners, The Phil Silvers Show and Get Smart. While working on The Honeymooners, he helped co-create the classic word game Mad Libs with his partner Roger Price. He died of heart failure on June 7, 2011, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles at the age of 87.
Stern worked on a number of other sitcoms during his many years in the business. He was the creator of I'm Dickens, He's Fenster (1962-63), Run, Buddy, Run (1966-67), He & She (1967-68) and The Governor and J.J. (1969-70). Stern wrote, directed and produced other sitcoms such as Holmes & Yo-Yo, The Good Guys and Operation Petticoat. His work on TV detective dramas included McMillan and Wife and The Snoop Sisters. He was nominated for five Emmy Awards and won two for "Best Comedy Writing - Variety or Situation Comedy" for The Phil Silvers Show and "Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy" for Get Smart with Buck Henry. In addition, he won three Writers Guild of America Awards and a Peabody Award. Earlier in his career, he was a writer on The Steve Allen Show and Steve Allen's The Tonight Show. His film screenplays included Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion, Lost in Alaska, The Jazz Singer, Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town, Three for the Money, Just You and Me, Kid (also directed), Missing Pieces (also directed) and Target.
Our friends at Just My Show did a podcast interview with him back in 2006. You can also watch several video interviews with him at The Archive of American Television. Mr. Stern is survived by his wife of 55 years, actress Gloria Stroock, as well as a son, daughter, two grandchildren, and a great-granddaughter. We thank him for all the laughs he brought us over the years. He will be missed.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of June 13-17, 2011, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, June 13, 2011
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty appears on Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am and later presents a Top Ten List on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Watch Tina on an April repeat of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Catch Jada on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT, on The Joy Behar Show at 10pm on HLN, on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm and finally on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty drops by LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings and later visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran stops by Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am, then chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT and finally on The Joy Behar Show at 10pm on HLN. Happily Divorced premieres on TV Land on June 15.
- John Krasinski (The Office) - Watch John on a May repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Persia White (Girlfriends) - Persia drops by The Mo'nique Show at 11pm on BET.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada continues to make the rounds on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Valerie Bertinelli, Janes Leeves and Wendie Malick - The lovely ladies of Hot in Cleveland visit Good Morning America on ABC between 7-9am and then The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kirstie Alley (Cheers/Veronica's Closet) - Watch Kirstie and her Dancing with the Stars partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy on a May repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Coby Bell (The Game) - Coby appears on The Mo'nique Show at 11pm on BET.
- Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Catch Larry on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric is a guest on all-new Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory/8 Simple Rules) - Watch the lovely Kaley on a March repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell) - Tiffani stops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena performs live in New York City's Central Park as part of Good Morning America's summer concert series on ABC between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Watch Christian on a March repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran visits The Gayle King Show at 10am on OWN.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Chris on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Dependence Transcedence" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Tensions rise when the boys struggle to complete their government project on time and Sheldon tries an energy drink to stay awake. Also, Penny and Amy go to a “party” at Bert (Brian Posehn) the geologist’s house, and Kooothrappali learns Bernadette’s true feelings about her pregnancy when they clean out the future baby room. Dean Norris returns as Air Force Representative Colonel Williams.
Man with a Plan - "Assisted Living" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Adam's parents visit unannounced, they reveal surprising plans for their future living arrangements. Emmy Award winner Swoosie Kurtz and Stacy Keach guest star as Bev and Joe, Adam and Don’s parents.
Superior Donuts - "Takin' It to the Streets" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Franco and Sweatpants discover their new landlord, Fawz, wants to convert their apartment building into luxury condos, they decide to organize a protest. Also, Randy realizes she needs to be nicer to James in order to get a good recommendation for her sergeant’s exam.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Dad Day Afternoon" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Han’s new therapist suggests that Max needs to confront her “daddy issues” and fear of intimacy, she reluctantly heads to Rhode Island to track down her birth father with the diner gang in tow. Also, Oleg is up in arms when Sophie wants him to help out around the house.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.