Monday, June 13, 2011
Nick at Nite Changes Schedule and June 2011 Highlights; AFI Life Achievement Award Taped Last Week Honoring Morgan Freeman
As for the June 2011 highlights, Nick at Nite will have a Father's Day stunt on Saturday, June 18 from 10pm-2am with regularly scheduled series That '70s Show, George Lopez, The Nanny and My Wife & Kids. Nick at Nite honors all the dad's who've taught us how to ride a bike and toss a ball. They will be celebrating the great men in their lives with a marathon of themed episodes all about Dad. Next up, Nick at Nite will "officially" welcome That '70s Show with a week-long wall-to-wall marathon from Monday, June 20 to Friday, June 24 from 10pm-6am each night. On Tuesday, June 21 at 10:30pm Nick at Nite will encore the premiere episode of the TV Land original sitcom Happily Divorced starring The Nanny's Fran Drescher. And finally, take a break with the Lopez family this summer on Nick at Nite with the George Lopez Summer-thon on Saturday, June 25 from 12am-7am.
View the UPDATED Nick at Nite June 2011 schedule. Will there be summer-thon marathons starting in July? We'll let you know, but for now enjoy these new changes and new stunts.
Last Thursday, acting great Morgan Freeman joined the illustrious list of film luminaries who have received the highest honor for a career in film – the 39th AFI Life Achievement Award. The gala, taped at Sony Pictures Studios last Thursday (June 9), will air on TV Land on Sunday, June 19 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. Freeman's inspiration and mentor, Sidney Poitier, who was honored with the AFI Life Achievement Award in 1992, said that "the movies matter, as do their players" and continued by saying that films are stories "told through drama, comedy, epics (and) westerns...tonight we are here for a man who has mastered them all."
After a heart-felt tribute by Poitier, the beloved Betty White (TV Land's Hot in Cleveland) performed her own comical rendition of the classic show tune "Hello Dolly" entitled "Hello Morgan" accompanied by six chorus men. White shared the screen with Freeman in the 1998 feature, Hard Rain.
The Electric Company alum Rita Moreno, who was moved to be back on Stage 15 where she previously performed, shared her experiences of working with Freeman and his litany of movies through a sassy self-written poem. Moreno is one of the few artists to have received the Oscar, the Emmy, the Tony and the Grammy. One of the many highlights of the evening was legendary country music superstar Garth Brooks' stirring rendition of "Lean on Me" which was featured in the 1989 feature film of the same name. Finally, Freeman accepted the prestigious award from friend and frequent collaborator, Clint Eastwood, recipient of the AFI Life Achievement Award in 1996.
In accepting the honor, Freeman attributed his drive and passion for acting to his hero, Sidney Poitier, saying "it seems like the world is upside down when you are here in the audience watching me and I am on stage getting an award." Freeman continued saying "Everyone has his own heaven. For me, heaven has always been about acting in the movies. Acting to me means living. It's what I do...and tonight you've told me I'm pretty good at it." Among the other guests present were: Casey Affleck, Camilla Alves, Gisele Bündchen, Hebe Carmago, Don Cheadle, Ana de la Requera, Fran Drescher, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Cary Elwes, Peter Gallagher, Cuba Gooding, Jr, Djimon Hounsou, Samuel L. Jackson, Kimora Lee Simmons, Virginia Madsen, Paz Vega and Ben Vereen, among others.
Tune in Sunday, June 19 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT to watch the entire tribute only on TV Land!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Dependence Transcedence" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Tensions rise when the boys struggle to complete their government project on time and Sheldon tries an energy drink to stay awake. Also, Penny and Amy go to a “party” at Bert (Brian Posehn) the geologist’s house, and Kooothrappali learns Bernadette’s true feelings about her pregnancy when they clean out the future baby room. Dean Norris returns as Air Force Representative Colonel Williams.
Man with a Plan - "Assisted Living" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Adam's parents visit unannounced, they reveal surprising plans for their future living arrangements. Emmy Award winner Swoosie Kurtz and Stacy Keach guest star as Bev and Joe, Adam and Don’s parents.
Superior Donuts - "Takin' It to the Streets" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Franco and Sweatpants discover their new landlord, Fawz, wants to convert their apartment building into luxury condos, they decide to organize a protest. Also, Randy realizes she needs to be nicer to James in order to get a good recommendation for her sergeant’s exam.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Dad Day Afternoon" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Han’s new therapist suggests that Max needs to confront her “daddy issues” and fear of intimacy, she reluctantly heads to Rhode Island to track down her birth father with the diner gang in tow. Also, Oleg is up in arms when Sophie wants him to help out around the house.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.