Monday, June 13, 2011
Nick at Nite Changes Schedule and June 2011 Highlights; AFI Life Achievement Award Taped Last Week Honoring Morgan Freeman
As for the June 2011 highlights, Nick at Nite will have a Father's Day stunt on Saturday, June 18 from 10pm-2am with regularly scheduled series That '70s Show, George Lopez, The Nanny and My Wife & Kids. Nick at Nite honors all the dad's who've taught us how to ride a bike and toss a ball. They will be celebrating the great men in their lives with a marathon of themed episodes all about Dad. Next up, Nick at Nite will "officially" welcome That '70s Show with a week-long wall-to-wall marathon from Monday, June 20 to Friday, June 24 from 10pm-6am each night. On Tuesday, June 21 at 10:30pm Nick at Nite will encore the premiere episode of the TV Land original sitcom Happily Divorced starring The Nanny's Fran Drescher. And finally, take a break with the Lopez family this summer on Nick at Nite with the George Lopez Summer-thon on Saturday, June 25 from 12am-7am.
View the UPDATED Nick at Nite June 2011 schedule. Will there be summer-thon marathons starting in July? We'll let you know, but for now enjoy these new changes and new stunts.
Last Thursday, acting great Morgan Freeman joined the illustrious list of film luminaries who have received the highest honor for a career in film – the 39th AFI Life Achievement Award. The gala, taped at Sony Pictures Studios last Thursday (June 9), will air on TV Land on Sunday, June 19 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. Freeman's inspiration and mentor, Sidney Poitier, who was honored with the AFI Life Achievement Award in 1992, said that "the movies matter, as do their players" and continued by saying that films are stories "told through drama, comedy, epics (and) westerns...tonight we are here for a man who has mastered them all."
After a heart-felt tribute by Poitier, the beloved Betty White (TV Land's Hot in Cleveland) performed her own comical rendition of the classic show tune "Hello Dolly" entitled "Hello Morgan" accompanied by six chorus men. White shared the screen with Freeman in the 1998 feature, Hard Rain.
The Electric Company alum Rita Moreno, who was moved to be back on Stage 15 where she previously performed, shared her experiences of working with Freeman and his litany of movies through a sassy self-written poem. Moreno is one of the few artists to have received the Oscar, the Emmy, the Tony and the Grammy. One of the many highlights of the evening was legendary country music superstar Garth Brooks' stirring rendition of "Lean on Me" which was featured in the 1989 feature film of the same name. Finally, Freeman accepted the prestigious award from friend and frequent collaborator, Clint Eastwood, recipient of the AFI Life Achievement Award in 1996.
In accepting the honor, Freeman attributed his drive and passion for acting to his hero, Sidney Poitier, saying "it seems like the world is upside down when you are here in the audience watching me and I am on stage getting an award." Freeman continued saying "Everyone has his own heaven. For me, heaven has always been about acting in the movies. Acting to me means living. It's what I do...and tonight you've told me I'm pretty good at it." Among the other guests present were: Casey Affleck, Camilla Alves, Gisele Bündchen, Hebe Carmago, Don Cheadle, Ana de la Requera, Fran Drescher, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Cary Elwes, Peter Gallagher, Cuba Gooding, Jr, Djimon Hounsou, Samuel L. Jackson, Kimora Lee Simmons, Virginia Madsen, Paz Vega and Ben Vereen, among others.
Tune in Sunday, June 19 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT to watch the entire tribute only on TV Land!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.