Monday, June 27, 2011
Both In Living Color and Malcolm & Eddie will air part of a 4th of July weekend filled with sitcom marathons. As we mentioned the marathon stunts start on Friday, July 1 at 8pm with Malcolm & Eddie, followed by The Wayans Bros. from 10pm-1am and then In Living Color from 1am-6am. The marathons continue on Saturday, July 2 with Martin from 9am-11am, Malcolm & Eddie from 11am-1pm, The Wayans Bros. from 1pm-4pm, In Living Color from 4pm-7pm, more Martin from 7pm-11pm, more Malcolm & Eddie from 11pm-1am and even more Martin from 1am-6am. On Sunday, July 3 the marathons are not as broad, but we still have some with Martin from 1pm-5pm, Malcolm & Eddie from 5pm-8pm, The Wayans Bros. from 8pm-11pm, and In Living Color from 1am-3am. And on the 4th of July itself, salute the day with more comedy! Martin takes center stage with a 12-hour marathon from 9am-9pm, followed by blocks of Malcolm & Eddie from 9pm-11pm, The Wayans Bros. from 11pm-1am, and In Living Color from 1am-3am.
What about regularly? Well the regular schedule will start Tuesday, July 5 and will be every weeknight, with Malcolm & Eddie airing in the 9pm hour leading into Martin from 10pm-12am, The Wayans Bros. from 12am-2am and an hour of In Living Color from 2-3am. Weekends are not regular, but Sundays usually has a marathon block of a show or two, with mostly The Wayans Bros. starting it off in the afternoons.
That's all for now, but let's hope MTV2 gets even more comedy. 4 shows is a good start!
And just one more thing. We leave you with some sad news. Peter Falk, best known for his role as Lieutenant Columbo in the television series Columbo, has died. Falk died at his Beverly Hills, CA home on June 23, at the age of 83. No cause of death has been released. He had been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's disease according to his daughter, Catherine Falk.
Falk played the squinty, rumpled detective Columbo for over 30 years in primetime television from 1968-2003. The Columbo character first appeared on TV in a 1968 ninety-minute pilot titled Prescription: Murder. Columbo was part of the NBC anthology series, The NBC Mystery Movie (1971-1978), where it would rotate with McCloud and McMillan & Wife. Steven Spielberg directed and Steven Bochco wrote the premiere Columbo episode in 1971. It returned occasionally on ABC with one or two TV movies a season from 1989 to 2003. The final Columbo movie aired on January 30, 2003. Falk won four Emmy Awards for his iconic role.
His early television appearances included Robert Montgomery Presents, Studio One, Kraft Television Theater, New York Confidential, Naked City, Have Gun, Will Travel, Decoy, The Law and Mr. Jones, and Target: The Corruptors. Falk's first lead TV role was in the 1965-66 drama The Trials of Mr. O'Brien. He appeared in numerous films, including Murder, Inc. (Oscar nominated), Pocketful of Miracles (Oscar nominated), Robin and the 7 Hoods, The Great Race, The In-Laws and The Princess Bride.
Mr. Falk is survived by his wife Shera and his two daughters, Jackie and Catherine. Unfortunately, Columbo hasn't aired on national cable since A&E broadcast it in late 1990s or early 2000s. We always loved their Columbus Day Columbo marathons. Thanks to Mr. Falk for playing one of TV's all-time greatest detectives. He will be deeply missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.